By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Religious Children Have Difficulty Distinguishing Fact From Fiction

This thread evidences that children who can't tell fact from fiction grow up unable to determine fact from fiction. I mean these replies are really inept.

"bible says x, therefore x" is essentially the entirety of the comment. There isn't even an attempt to justify the point. It's a baseless assertion and when it is confronted, the person ignores their fallacious arguments. (looking at you padib). Listen here folks, the bible is not evidence, the bible is THE CLAIM.

Moderated,

-Mr Khan

Around the Network

Its true, i grew up in a christian home and im all screwed up in the head.

Soriku said:
DélioPT said

No, i don`t believe it`s taken out of context.

"Write this on a scroll as something to be remembered and make sure that Joshua hears it, because I will completely blot out the name of Amalek from under heaven.”

Yes, God punished them for what they did to Israel. But doesn`t that show their very nature? How their hearts were?
And like the pharaoh, they didn`t change, so their punishment came. Punishment that God already warned about in the first war, so to speak, as the quote above shows.

They didn`t stop like others stopped after losing the battle to Israel. They were keen on defeating Israel.
Again, just like the pharaoh, who despite suffering all those plagues kept on going after the jews.

Their nature or their hearts aren't shown. The only transgression is attacking Israel. That's pretty much it. Other times, Israel took the initiative in attacking them first. Israel committed genocide while the Amalekites only took slaves once they raided Israel. They never killed women and children like Israel did.

It`s implicit in their behaviour. Why do you think they kept on trying to battle Israel, who did nothing to them? It wasn`t for goodness of their hearts.
The transgression started in their hearts. The attacks are just a consequence of what they felt.
Their intentions were more than clear.

Soriku said:
DélioPT said:

It`s implicit in their behaviour. Why do you think they kept on trying to battle Israel, who did nothing to them? It wasn`t for goodness of their hearts.
The transgression started in their hearts. The attacks are just a consequence of what they felt.

They're just a tribe who decided to invade. They're not good guys or anything, but after what Israel did, I wouldn't call them good guys either.

The other problem with Divine Command theory as being intrinsically good, is that you (the person who believes in said theory..not specifically you Soriku) then have absolutely no place to speak out against another religions actions that you perceive as evil/barbaric.  They believe they're being commanded by their God, just as you, and under the admitted beliefs iterated above, it would be equally as good as the Biblical God, ordering the genocide of the Amalekites.  Scary thought.

Not really shocking. If I told a child Harry Potter was real all his life -_- i am sure he/she would not know fictio from non-fiction. Same principle.

Nobody's perfect. I aint nobody!!!

Killzone 2. its not a fps. it a FIRST PERSON WAR SIMULATOR!!!! ..The true PLAYSTATION 3 launch date and market dominations is SEP 1st

Around the Network

A being created the universe.

Everything was created by an atom that appeared out of nowhere exploding and created the universe.

Which is fact and which is fiction? I'll let you decide which sounds more fictional.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

padib said:
Serious_frusting said:
Not really shocking. If I told a child Harry Potter was real all his life -_- i am sure he/she would not know fictio from non-fiction. Same principle.

Probably what happened to you when you were told all the lies about the origin of the world.

It goes both ways.

What lies? 

I have heard many theories about many things. What part of my status makes you feel the need to say people are telling me porky pies?

Killzone 2. its not a fps. it a FIRST PERSON WAR SIMULATOR!!!! ..The true PLAYSTATION 3 launch date and market dominations is SEP 1st

padib said:
Serious_frusting said:

What lies? 

I have heard many theories about many things. What part of my status makes you feel the need to say people are telling me porky pies?

Your status? You don't believe in religion, and think it has the same effect as believing in Harry Potter being real would have on a child.

Well, I agree with you, only that I believe in the creation account of the bible and I think that people who believe in a world that came from nothing believe in myth and fiction, and therefore it puts them under your own judgement, including you.

I think people go to far about whats real and what is not. 

I dont know where the world comes from nor do i pretend to know. Anyone who trys to tell me  about our origions, I always think well he/she is most likely wrong. But when you are telling me where the world comes from at least have some good reasoning behind it so I can say meh to them without thinking well, dem gone crazy. 

Also myreply to this thread was very relevant our kid. 

(keyboard is playing up. Soz. The keys aint registring properly.

padib said:
Soriku said:
DélioPT said:

They're just a tribe who decided to invade. They're not good guys or anything, but after what Israel did, I wouldn't call them good guys either.

I got this from an article I just found online with a quick google search of "Why did God punish the canaanites". Here is an excerpt I found revealing:

"By the Israelite attack on Canaan, God accomplished two things. First, He brought righteous judgment on the deserving Canaanites — a kind of corporate capital punishment. God directed this destruction, however, less against Canaanite persons as it was against Canaanite religion (Deuteronomy 7:3–5; 12:2,3; cp. Exodus 34:12,13).2 The Canaanite gods/goddesses engaged in all kinds of sexual acts including incest and bestiality. Not surprisingly, worshipers of these deities engaged in ritual prostitution — not to mention infant sacrifice and other deviant acts.

In our sex-saturated culture, many people do not seem concerned about sexual immorality and the destruction it wreaks on individuals, families, and society. Our anger may flare up about racism or gender discrimination, but today’s society has jaded our moral instincts when it comes to other soul-destroying activities. God’s anger at a society’s moral and spiritual suicide mission — His saying “Enough!” —turns out to be a sign of moral concern.

Second, God was able to prepare a land for His people to create the proper religious setting to make sense of a coming Messiah who would bring redemption to Israelites and Gentiles alike (Genesis 12:3). Who are the intended recipients of this salvation? Jews, yes, but also Israel’s most hostile enemies — Assyria, Egypt, Babylon, and Philistia (Psalm 87:4–6; Isaiah 19:23–25). What is more, God even incorporated the Canaanites into the new Israel, the true people of God (Zechariah 9:7 [the “Jebusite,” who has been assimilated into Israel]; Matthew 15:22). Killing the Canaanites was not racially motivated; rather, it was theologically and morally motivated via divine mandate."

emphasis on bold

It also answers your question about them being invincible and the question of Genocide.

http://enrichmentjournal.ag.org/201004/201004_138_canannites.cfm

I find it perplexing and disturbing that you consider the above to be good reasons for systematic wholesale murder.

Soriku said:
DélioPT said:

No, they weren`t just a tribe who decided to invade.

You asked me before if your quote was one of those taken out context. It was one of those taken from within a bigger story.

This is where it started:

Deut 25:17-19:

“Remember what Amalek did to you, on the way when you were leaving Egypt, that he happened upon you on the way, and he struck those of you who were hindmost, all the weaklings at your rear, when you were faint and exhausted, and he did not fear God. It shall be that when the Lord, your God, gives you rest from all your enemies all around, in the Land that the Lord, your God, gives you as an inheritance to possess it, you shall wipe out the memory of Amalek from under heaven – you shall not forget!

Then they just kept coming and coming the exterminate the jewish people. And God kept on forgiving.
And with Saul`s failure, they kept attacking during Kind David`s reign - where 400 amalekites escaped - and once again through descendants, the same people almost caused the destruction of Israel (book of Esther).

They wanted extermination, and that`s exactly what they got.

In the end, it`s no different from people who don`t forgive, to no get forgiveness. You get what you serve.Also, there were cases in the Bible, like the woman in Jericho, Lot and another elimination that actually spared children and woman (i think).

God already knew and even forerold by prophecy that Amalek and his people would perish. If He didn`t spare some of his people, it was actually an act of mercy to save the souls of the purest ones, souls that would have been become impure with time.