By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 'Destiny' beta saw more concurrent players on Moon than any 'Halo' game before

Not surprising since its available on 4 platforms compared to just one for Halo.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

Around the Network
MoHasanie said:
Not surprising since its available on 4 platforms compared to just one for Halo.

and it was free and available for a short period of time, skewing the numbers as well. people who wanted to play it had a short time to do so, so chances are more people played at the same time. but either way, halo is a juggernut, so being able to pull numbers like this is still impressive. 

So there was more across 4 platforms than 1? Wow, mind blown.

spurgeonryan said:

The moment is almost here for hundreds of people who have worked on this game

Whhhaaaat? how many?

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

spurgeonryan said:

That said, there were some very impressive numbers that came out of the beta like having over 850,000 concurrents on the moon.

Dang

Around the Network

My mind is blown I never would have guessed a game on 4 platforms would have more players then a game on 1 platform

2m played the titanfall beta

prinz_valium said:
2m played the titanfall beta

5 million played Destiny beta. But that's not the point of the article. They were saying how many played at the same time.

As others pointed out, it is heavily skewed because it was only available for a few hours, but my guess is that they are saying that the servers managed to handle that load with almost no problems...

shikamaru317 said:
850k concurrent players is alot, but that is across 4 different platforms. Halo's definitely no lightweight in that category, I believe I once saw more than 400k concurrent players in Halo 3, and that was on 1 platform. The fact that Halo 3 was still pulling in like 200k plus concurrent players more than a year after it released is even more impressive imo. I wonder how many concurrent players Destiny will have after a year? It'll be interesting to see.

It should still have a great number of active players for months and years to come if they Acti/Bungie live up to their claims. 

Holy crap! A limited access mission in an open beta across four platforms got more concurrent users than an exclusive? No way!

Also, the reason they're able to get this info is because the beta was mandatory online for campaign and multiplayer if im not mistaken. Which isnt the case for a Halo launch when half can be playing the campaign offline while the others are in Multiplayer being tracked.