By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Retro Studios or Monolith Soft?

Tagged games:

Which is better?

Retro Studios 174 56.86%

Monolith Soft 132 43.14%

Total:306
DevilRising said:
DK was good, just a bit too "hard on purpose" (aka hard in totally fucked ways) for my taste. The MP trilogy was great, mainly 1 and 3, but I am in no rush whatsoever to see a 4, unlike so many other gamers (apparently). I want to see them make something different, something fresh.

Monolith is awesome, but if you just take them by what they've made since Nintendo owned them, they've made 2 games with a third on the way. Xenoblade was good, just not my cup of tea gameplay wise, and "X" looks even better, but probably still not my preferred style.

So I'd probably have to pick Retro. I just want to see them do something NOT DK or Metroid. They're not the "DK & Metroid" studio, and Nintendo needs to let them/encourage them to do other stuff. Hell, even an original IP perhaps.

They've made more than that...

Around the Network
Zackasaurus-rex said:
Monolith Soft are better than Retro were in their prime... And Retro today are awful. All of their talented devs left to work in other studios.

Have you even played their two recent games? If you still say that then you just need to wait until they make another adventure game.

OttoniBastos said:
- Monolith made the best jrpg of last generation and has a very good portifolio pre-nintendo era.

- Retro is a not that great version of rare.

Retro is very great. When comparing the two developers, DKC:TF is on par with DKC2. 

freebs2 said:
Retro, Monolith is not even close, while Xenoblade is really good they are only capable to make 1 kind of game and they release one once every 5 years. Retro is superior both tecnically, artistically and from a game design prespective. Metorid Prime was stellar and also unique, DKCR and TF are the best platform series since the Snes and Mega Drive era.

Something tells me you haven't done research...

WhiteEaglePL said:
I have to go to Monolith. Great amazing games too, but they just do a lot more than Retro.

So you've played some games by Monolith then?

Around the Network

Retro, although I find the Xeno, meta-series to be one of my favorites, and Xenoblade was one of the best RPGs of last generation.

VanceIX said:
ExplodingBlock said:
VanceIX said:
Retro, at their best (Metroid Prime series). DK, not so much.

You didn't like the DK Retro games?

I mean I really didn't like the motion controls in the Wii version of DKCR but hey that is why the 3D version exists 

I liked them, but they don't compare to Xenoblade Saga. Metroid Prime/2/3 are the true masterpieces that Retro has, but their recent games don't match up to Monolith Soft's recent titles.

Ok I see

Retro seems to be able to offer more variety. Monolith's games are excellent, but the Metroid Prime games are on another level, imo. And their DKC games are lip-smackingly terrific, on all aspects. It seems (to me), Retro's games are more polished.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

Both are great but I would love to see Retro doing their own stuff, original games, not just new entries of Nintendo franchises

I really like Monolith Soft because of the Xeno series.

Bet with Xander XT: 

I can beat more games on his 3DS than he can on my PSVita in a month. Loser has to buy the winner a game on his/her handheld Guess who won? http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=193531

Me!