By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii U cancelled games - Damage control for a bigger problem.

baloofarsan said:
chapset said:
Other than batman, I don't really see your point, I mean ass creed 4 is not even 1 year old it will keep selling for a while at cheaper prices even when the next one is out, how much did all the previous one sale after less than a year on the market? Same thing for cod. Plus don't forget that more and more people are choosing to download digitally instead of buying at retail

How are we going to have a meningfull discussion about sales if digital is kept secret? When vgchartz eventually loses all of its credibility is NPD going to be more secretive with their numbers?

Does NPD have digital numbers?

NPD doesn't track digital either.

But then again they don't need to, because Sony and MS have that data to a number (since they are ones that the games are downloaded from). So no reason for them to pay for it. 

I think we will never have true digital numbers, as both companies just release rankings with no numbers, and the only time we know more is when they talk about a single specific game's sales.

Around the Network
daredevil.shark said:
Seece said:
Games/Franchises were declining before XB1/PS4 because people grew tired of those consoles. It's going to take a while for this gens install base to shoot up and therefore get back to that level of game sales.

Spot on.

I disagree.

Mr Khan said:
Seece said:
Games/Franchises were declining before XB1/PS4 because people grew tired of those consoles. It's going to take a while for this gens install base to shoot up and therefore get back to that level of game sales.

What of GTAV then?

I think the real story is that most of those franchises (except GTA) were run into the ground last gen. Batman doesn't really count either because the last one was basically a gaiden game.

You're partly right as well, where GTA had gone so long between games a lot of hype was garnered.

Burek said:
baloofarsan said:
chapset said:
Other than batman, I don't really see your point, I mean ass creed 4 is not even 1 year old it will keep selling for a while at cheaper prices even when the next one is out, how much did all the previous one sale after less than a year on the market? Same thing for cod. Plus don't forget that more and more people are choosing to download digitally instead of buying at retail

How are we going to have a meningfull discussion about sales if digital is kept secret? When vgchartz eventually loses all of its credibility is NPD going to be more secretive with their numbers?

Does NPD have digital numbers?

NPD doesn't track digital either.

But then again they don't need to, because Sony and MS have that data to a number (since they are ones that the games are downloaded from). So no reason for them to pay for it. 

I think we will never have true digital numbers, as both companies just release rankings with no numbers, and the only time we know more is when they talk about a single specific game's sales.

The future for number crunchers like the crowd in vgchartz is looking grim. For software it will be more and more guesswork. As the online connected consoles grow, and the digital communication with the manufacturer increases (the manufacturers will know all about us), there will be less interest in the sales NPD and others provide.This will leave the physical numbers also secret.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2014-02-20-36-percent-of-us-plays-downloaded-games-npd

I don't expect AC to see declines. Although I expect Unity to sell less than Blag Flag because its only on PS4 and X1.

COD might because of franchise fatigue and big games like Destiny and even the Master Chief collection hurting its sales.

Batman Blackgate didn't sell well cause it was just a prequel.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

Around the Network

I think Assassin's Creed is going through franchise fatigue. COD as well.

chapset said:

The numbers vgchartz are providing shows that sales are down to less than10 % of the first weeks sales after 10 weeks. http://www.vgchartz.com/game/71597/assassins-creed-iv-black-flag/Global/  http://www.vgchartz.com/game/71596/assassins-creed-iv-black-flag/Global/  http://www.vgchartz.com/game/70618/assassins-creed-iii/Global/  http://www.vgchartz.com/game/70617/assassins-creed-iii/Global/

Mr Khan said:
Seece said:

What of GTAV then?

I think the real story is that most of those franchises (except GTA) were run into the ground last gen. Batman doesn't really count either because the last one was basically a gaiden game.

I don't know what your definition of ''run into the ground'' is but I don't think we have the same one

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

DolPhanTendo said:
Maybe they shouldn't release one every 6 months to a year. This brings up another point everyone who hates Nintendo say this "not another mario game" or "all they do is mario or zelda reason no on buys their console". But it is funny Nintendo DOES IT RIGHT look at Mario Kart 8 the first of its franchise came out 20 years ago and only they are only eight, they release one time on each console(2 for zelda series). If you take out handhelds it is only 5. Mario Platformers once a generation but skipped N64 and Gamecube for an action Mario (now we both for the WiiU). I can go on and on with examples. Now lets look at COD 2001 or 2 cant remember when the first one came but with Advanced Warfare that will make 21 types of COD released in half the time. Assassins Creed is already in 7. So who has really over saturated the market?

Can't say I disagree at all. Though New Super Mario Bros etc kinda put the foot on the gas a bit much. But 1 or 2 releases per gen is about right for me. It also allows enough time for new ideas to be toyed with.

My only gripe with Nintendo at the moment, is that their games are starting to become a bit too familiar. Mario Kart since DS, has felt like it's going through the motions rather than a genuine event. This is obviously a personal opinion, and don't get me wrong, I love Mario Kart 8, but it's just starting to get onto the wrong side of overfamiliar.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

chapset said:
Mr Khan said:
Seece said:

What of GTAV then?

I don't know what your definition of ''run into the ground'' is but I don't think we have the same one

Okay, i'll admit that was hyperbole, but it is clear that both franchises are past their prime.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.