By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - EA says "no one's getting access [to Sims 4] ahead of release" for reviews

vivster said:
Someone help me. I'm trying to think up reasons how post release reviews are bad for the consumer but I can't think of any.

I'm trying to think up reasons how post release reviews are good for the consumer but I can't think of any.

Around the Network
noname2200 said:
vivster said:
Someone help me. I'm trying to think up reasons how post release reviews are bad for the consumer but I can't think of any.

I'm trying to think up reasons how post release reviews are good for the consumer but I can't think of any.

So they're neither good or bad. They're just a thing.

So what's this thread then for?

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:
Smear-Gel said:
vivster said:

In the movie industry, denying pre-release reviews generally mean you expect it to review pretty poorly, and don't want those poor reviews dissuading people from getting it in the first place, but rather see the bad reviews after they pay for the movie. I see no reason to believe this isn't happening for the same reason.

Well yes. The implications are always bad if you do it but it's not bad for consumers if a game is bad. They can just not buy it.

I see two kinds of gamers here. The ones that cannot wait for a game and want it so badly that they'll pay upfront or get it on day one. They obviously don't give a shit about reviews because they know they will like it regardless.

Then there are the ones that are not confident enough in the game that they need to see a review first. But does it matter when the review will be released? No. If they wanted the game badly they would get it on day one. If they need a review first, they can wait.

So I can't really think of a scenario where a post release review is hurting consumers.

I think there's a subset of consumers in that first category that kind of get caught up in the pre-order craze but aren't actually blind about it. Just really gullible because they're following a trend. They could be swayed by reviews, but when you limit reviews to after release, you don't give those consumers the opportunity to learn about the game, so they get sucked into their idiocy and make a $60 mistake.

So yeah, I think some consumers can be harmed by post release (or even release day) reviews. I prefer it when review embargos are lifted before a game's release, but that doesn't really happen.

NNID: TheCCluc

lord_of_flood said:
vivster said:
Smear-Gel said:
vivster said:

In the movie industry, denying pre-release reviews generally mean you expect it to review pretty poorly, and don't want those poor reviews dissuading people from getting it in the first place, but rather see the bad reviews after they pay for the movie. I see no reason to believe this isn't happening for the same reason.

Well yes. The implications are always bad if you do it but it's not bad for consumers if a game is bad. They can just not buy it.

I see two kinds of gamers here. The ones that cannot wait for a game and want it so badly that they'll pay upfront or get it on day one. They obviously don't give a shit about reviews because they know they will like it regardless.

Then there are the ones that are not confident enough in the game that they need to see a review first. But does it matter when the review will be released? No. If they wanted the game badly they would get it on day one. If they need a review first, they can wait.

So I can't really think of a scenario where a post release review is hurting consumers.

I think there's a subset of consumers in that first category that kind of get caught up in the pre-order craze but aren't actually blind about it. Just really gullible because they're following a trend. They could be swayed by reviews, but when you limit reviews to after release, you don't give those consumers the opportunity to learn about the game, so they get sucked into their idiocy and make a $60 mistake.

So yeah, I think some consumers can be harmed by post release (or even release day) reviews. I prefer it when review embargos are lifted before a game's release, but that doesn't really happen.

I'd consider it as a positive then^^ You won't learn anything if you don't get a slap on the wrist for doing stupid things.

But I just thought of people who will be harmed. Fanboys and haters. They're always eagerly awaiting scores to justify their purchases or slam the company of their choice. Makingthem wait is definitely harmful to them and indirectly harmful to everyone else because they get bored. And nobody wants them to be bored^^

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:
Mystro-Sama said:
As long as DA:I is good then i'm fine.

I've heard they've taken out the pools and babies there as well. So be prepared for a disappointment.

Was there a high incidence rate of babies drowning in pools?

Or they just didn't want to get sued by Courtney Love?

Around the Network

I got Sims 2 for free on Origin. I am just doing that for now.

nice

Burek said:
vivster said:
Mystro-Sama said:
As long as DA:I is good then i'm fine.

I've heard they've taken out the pools and babies there as well. So be prepared for a disappointment.

Was there a high incidence rate of babies drowning in pools?

Or they just didn't want to get sued by Courtney Love?

The planned Courtney Love boss monster was taken out as well. Gonna be a dull experience all around.

vivster said:
noname2200 said:
vivster said:

So they're neither good or bad. They're just a thing.

So what's this thread then for?

You're the only person here saying they're not bad - and strangely aggressively at that - but please note no one at all is claiming this is catastrophic news.

It seems to me like EA all access might suck.

It's one thing to embargo, but to not even give reviewers access to the game prior to release? That's a bad sign.