By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - 92% of all game sales on PC are digital

Im surprised its that low, i know alot of PC gamers and not one buys physical ever, for over 5 years.

I would of believed > 99%

Around the Network
Xenostar said:
Im surprised its that low, i know alot of PC gamers and not one buys physical ever, for over 5 years.

The 8% is probably made up of the more casual folk that go out and buy physical Sims and titles like that

Only physical games i buy are from Blizzard (usually CEs)

(oh and physical WoW + Diablo copies probably help the retail figure as well)

Raziel123 said:
Xenostar said:

The 8% is probably made up of the more casual folk that go out and buy physical Sims and titles like that

Only physical games i buy are from Blizzard (usually CEs)

(oh and physical WoW + Diablo copies probably help the retail figure as well)

If you buy a physical blizzard game do you just get a code to download it digitally anyway?

That could explain a lot as there digital prices are a bit high. 

Xenostar said:

If you buy a physical blizzard game do you just get a code to download it digitally anyway?

No it comes with a disc that installs the game, though you also associate a cd key with your b.net account

Raziel123 said:
Xenostar said:

No it comes with a disc that installs the game, though you also associate a cd key with your b.net account

Can you never download the game then?

Around the Network
Xenostar said:

Can you never download the game then?

After associating the cd key you can download the game at any time, don't need the disc

And right today some people complained about devs putting resources in PC versions! 

I still like physical, but thanks to GOG my biggest concerns about digital are over, and actually, for games with invasive DRM, GOG's DRM-free digital version will become my first choice, even if I have to wait longer before it becomes available. And I'm not pissed off at Windows 7 for blocking steaming crap like Starturdforce DRM, it's the right thing to do with a filthy piece of shit that behaves like a rootkit.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

its sad really. some of us still like to collect hard copies of games for more than just the physical feel. there are certain advantages to having a hard copy of a game.

If companies are buttfucking people with DRM and limited activations, no wonder they're going digital. I wonder if that was the plan all along... lol

prinz_valium said:
yeah. overall pc sales
but if u talk about AAA games only its not 90:10 ratio

didnt ubisoft gave some numbers for watch dogs in theire conference call?

For watch Dogs PC 70% was digital, 10% digital on consoles. Of course not all games are available digitally so that pushes the overall share higher.

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!