By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Why is PS3 dead in Japan?

NJ5 said:
Xiru said:
PS3 isn't dead in Japan. Its normal average is 40,000 units a week. Its been pretty low the past 2 weeks, but way too early to determine its future in its home country. It is still the most expensive console and Japan's gaming market is in a strange place right now. It seems to be handhelds or nothing. The Wii is having nice sales because of Smash and Wii fit, but I expect it to die down. Remember when the PS3 was beating the Wii in November? No one seems to mention that. :(

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=8166&Itemid=2

Don't worry about it so much. PS3 will do fine in Japan, it only looks bad now because its doing do well in the UK and the US right now. PS3's training wheels are almost off.

Yes, we remember when the PS3 beat the Wii for one week. We also remember that the 360 outsold the PS3 for one week.

We also know that in both cases, it meant nothing.

PS: Where did you get your "40,000" units a week average from?

one month

Around the Network
Xiru said:
Dragon Quest will most likely stay on DS or Wii. It was never a graphics intesive series and is actually a perfect fit for the Nintendo systems. Which is a shame, i'd love to have it on PS3 along with Kingdom Hearts 3 but its not gonna happen. :(

dragon quest vii? or was it viii? meh, whatever, point is, it came out on the ps2. if sony can get it for the ps3 than it should boost sales in japan. who knows?

Again...

Its not selling well because Sony has turned the PS3 into a Western Console to compete with the 360 abroad.

Simple as that.

ils411 said:
sony should also get dragon questVIII? (no idea what iteration its at) released for the ps3

DQ VIII was released on the PS2 a few years ago. S-E already announced last year(or was it 2006?) that DQ IX would be released on the DS. It's not coming out for the PS3.

XIRU: the problem with those wanted lists is that they are all from the hardcore gaming crowd (e.g. the ones who regularly buy gaming mags like Famitsu) they don't represent the majority of gamers in Japan.

starcraft: "I and every PS3 fanboy alive are waiting for Versus more than FFXIII.
Me since the games were revealed, the fanboys since E3."

Skeeuk: "playstation 3 is the ultimate in gaming acceleration"

smbu2000 said:
ils411 said:
sony should also get dragon questVIII? (no idea what iteration its at) released for the ps3

DQ VIII was released on the PS2 a few years ago. S-E already announced last year(or was it 2006?) that DQ IX would be released on the DS. It's not coming out for the PS3.

XIRU: the problem with those wanted lists is that they are all from the hardcore gaming crowd (e.g. the ones who regularly buy gaming mags like Famitsu) they don't represent the majority of gamers in Japan.

That is a good point and I agree with you. I also agree with Girl Gamer. Sony is trying too hard to win the Western market and seem to be alienating what Japanese gamers want.

Around the Network

GGE that image has me transfixed. I can't stop watching it.

Bladeneo said:
PS3 isnt doing great at all its true, but there havent been a whole plethora of games which are usually MASSIVE in japan yet. From what I can tell, DW6, Hot Shots 5 and PES2008 are the only games which I saw the japanese going crazy for. GT5 is still only a prologue, so that effect wasnt gonna last.

Sony'll shove out more japanese orientated games in 2008, WKC will do pretty well for starters, as will the real GT5.

I agree, and it's gonna start soon with Yakuza 3 (March 6) and the new Silver PS3, Valkyrie of the Battllefield : Gallian Chronicles (April 24), MGS4, White Knight Chronicles as you said. Let's wait to see how these titles will sell before burying it.

ils411 said:
Xiru said:
Dragon Quest will most likely stay on DS or Wii. It was never a graphics intesive series and is actually a perfect fit for the Nintendo systems. Which is a shame, i'd love to have it on PS3 along with Kingdom Hearts 3 but its not gonna happen. :(

dragon quest vii? or was it viii? meh, whatever, point is, it came out on the ps2. if sony can get it for the ps3 than it should boost sales in japan. who knows?

Its 9. If Sony could get that, it would seriously boost Japanese sales. Dragon Quest is either tied with Final Fantasy or bigger than Final Fantasy in Japan. Can't remember which is the more popular series, but Dragon Quest is huge in Japan. Sadly, its going to stay with Nintendo unless Square feels like losing money. :)

Girl Gamer Elite said:
Its not selling well because Sony has turned the PS3 into a Western Console to compete with the 360 abroad.

Simple as that.

^This. Very good point. Is this one of the reasons you don't really like PS3?

@x-man

one game won't do wonders for ps3. It's userbase is under 2 million.

ps3 lost in Japan and you guys know it. a lot of you just don't want to admit it. Nintendo's new approach took off.

@xiru
are you dumb? you said the Wii is having good sales because of smash and wiifit? What about most of 2007? There wasn't one good game on the Wii in Japan in the 1st 3 quarters of 2007 yet Wii murdered Ps3. Just face it guys. The console war in Japan ended.

Damn things have changed since 2009 began. Here are my new visions for the end of the generation.

Wii: 135 mil

Ps3: 85 mil

360: 60 mil

True Genius