By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Should remakes/remasters be in the running for GOTY awards?

Should remakes/remaster be in the running for GOTY awards?s

Yes 26 14.94%

No 98 56.32%

Remakes only 43 24.71%

See results 7 4.02%

Total:174
Serious_frusting said:
If we did allow it would not be fare on the games in 2014 to have to go up against TLoU for a 2nd time.

Obliteration.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

Yes there has always been remakes and i'm sure they haven't been disqualified from GOTY awards.

Just this year make sure the last of us gets its rightful GOTY that GTA V stole last year

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

pbroy said:
They should make a new award call "Remaster of the Year"

Exactly how many of them normally come out each year though? This year is different because its the start of a new gen.

the2real4mafol said:
Yes there has always been remakes and i'm sure they haven't been disqualified from GOTY awards.

Just this year make sure the last of us gets its rightful GOTY that GTA V stole last year

GTA V lost to TLoU

Nobody's perfect. I aint nobody!!!

Killzone 2. its not a fps. it a FIRST PERSON WAR SIMULATOR!!!! ..The true PLAYSTATION 3 launch date and market dominations is SEP 1st

the way i see it is if the game is the best game on said platform then yes, its just a shame that this could happen though, The Last of Us is by far the best game on the new gen systems right now. 

Around the Network

I guess it makes sense if they made a full remake of a game, kind of how they remake movies - but that would mean all new game mechanics and all. A remake of the original Super Mario Bros which more or less only updates the graphics and adds newer enemies shouldn't be in the running for GOTY

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Some new games like Mario Kart, sports games like Fifa are really close to remakes to, should they not be running then?

Ka-pi96 said:
the2real4mafol said:

eh? TLOU got like 200+, GTA got no where near that many.

Ah well it deserves to win again 

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

Im going to say no, I think game of the year awards should belong to new games. Not that it really matters because I dont think remasters/remakes would really win that many if they did qualify...