By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Empire Magazine - The 100 Greatest Games of all Time

Talk about a generic list ... no Warcraft 3, Thief (original 3), Deus Ex HR (near perfect revival of a dormant franchise), only one Silent Hill game (of course it is Silent HIll 2 because non fans don't care about SH 1 and SH 3), and virtually no RTS love aside from Starcraft (where is Command and Conquer?).

It is like they put a list of the same top 100 games into a blender and spit out a result to create these things. Afterwards, they play with the top 10 (because that is all most people care about). Last of Us gets top spot because it was the "cool" thing last year and now this year as well with the remaster. The rest of the top 10 are pretty much checking boxes of games with large fan bases. Metal Gear Solid, check. World of Warcraft, check. Final Fantasy, check. Halo, check. Zelda, check. Grand Theft Auto, check.

Would love to see someone make an honest top 100 games of all time for a change that truly looks at the entire history of gaming, and not just the last 10 years or so.

Around the Network
ErwinMoC said:
Where is God of War...?

*muffled snickering*

Anyway Silent Hill 2, Majora's Mask, Super Metroid and Okami are way too low, original Halo, WoW, Ocarina, Last of Us, and Skyrim are way too high, MGS3 should be higher than MGS1, Twilight Princess, Uncharted 3, Skyward Sword, Gears of War, and SMG2 have no business being on this list, and WoW made me cry.

-my completely objectively correct opinion

I don't think that this is a very good list. Well, at least Ocarina of Time, the most overrated game of all time only made second place :/

Metrium said:
#1 is a complete joke. It should barely make the top 10. The fact that it has a ''deep'' story that is completly cliché and predictable and that this game takes itself for a movie does'nt make it the best game of all time despite ppl getting hipnotised by it's story to see this game as what it's not. Especyaly when the story is absolutly the only thing this game has.

Great stories are common, gameplay prefection is rare and only the games that achieve it should be in the top 10.TLoU only has a great story and it's its marketing, production and the fact that it's made from Naughty Dog that helped this game get overhyped above the rest creating a snowball effect (seriously, from the moment we've seen the first CGI trailer with the ND logo that game was already considered by many to be a futur best game of all time contender...)

Great stories are extremely rare in video games. Also, why all of the rage, is it really that bad that Ocarina didn't win?

bouzane said:
I don't think that this is a very good list. Well, at least Ocarina of Time, the most overrated game of all time only made second place :/

Tell me about it. People believe that game should be #1 on every list.

Around the Network

They snubbed a few games but i'm extremely happy with #1 :D

Control+F = Just Cause 2

Phrase not found

List invalidated

bouzane said:
Metrium said:
#1 is a complete joke. It should barely make the top 10. The fact that it has a ''deep'' story that is completly cliché and predictable and that this game takes itself for a movie does'nt make it the best game of all time despite ppl getting hipnotised by it's story to see this game as what it's not. Especyaly when the story is absolutly the only thing this game has.

Great stories are common, gameplay prefection is rare and only the games that achieve it should be in the top 10.TLoU only has a great story and it's its marketing, production and the fact that it's made from Naughty Dog that helped this game get overhyped above the rest creating a snowball effect (seriously, from the moment we've seen the first CGI trailer with the ND logo that game was already considered by many to be a futur best game of all time contender...)

Great stories are extremely rare in video games. Also, why all of the rage, is it really that bad that Ocarina didn't win?

Maybe ''common'' was a strong word to use, but so is ''extremely rare''. The Arkham games had great stories, so does the Quantum Dream games (I hate them but they do have a great stories from what I heard). I think Bethesda games have great stories. Did'nt play them but from what I heard so did Mass Effect. Biochock had great stories (one could argue that Infinite's ending was terrible but so was TLoU). Tomb Raider had a really good story. I'm not into Assassin's Creed but from what I heard most of them have really strong stories.Warcraft has a terrific story and lore behind it. I'll also add RPGs like Xenoblade and Fire Emblem to my list.

You can feel free to disagree with some of those games, but truth is that the approach of telling a story first and then focussing on the gameplay latter is a trend that is far from being rare since last gen. The presentation is what's matters the most nowadays and it's not a trend that I agree with.

And what's wrong with OoT? Did you even play the thing? And if so, did you play remembering that this game came out in 1997. That game created trends, it established new standards in so many levels, unlike TLoU who just followed a trend. I never mentioned OoT before you did, altho I indeed do believe it deserves that spot. But the fact that did'nt mention it and you did makes me think that if I'm raging against TLoU like you said, you clearly have the same problem with OoT.

What?! I can't hear you over all this awsome! - Pyrrhon (Kid Icarus:Uprising)

Final Ultimate Legendary Earth Power Super Max Justice Future Miracle Dream Beautiful Galaxy Big Bang Little Bang Sunrise Starlight Infinite Fabulous Totally Final Wonderful Arrow...FIRE! - Wonder-Red (The Wonderful101)

Surprisingly great list. So it can be done...

Metrium said:

LOL this is where you and those like you are so wrong.  The Last Of Us gets its praise from the fact that its gameplay AND its story are 10/10.  Both have never been done so well before without one getting in the other's way.