By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - And you thought Golden Week was over for Nintendo?

Might as well call it Golden Year for Nintendo. Hardcore gamers will laugh. Nintendo will laugh all the way to the bank. 

http://www.wired.com/gaming/hardware/news/2007/05/japan_games

Japanese Marketers Target Gamer Girls, Moms
By Chris Kohler Email 05.11.07 | 2:00 AM

TOKYO -- "This May 13, buy your mom a Nintendo DS."

With Mother's Day fast approaching, Tokyo's subways and billboards are plastered with advertisements for chocolate and flowers. But one of the most visible ads, running every few minutes on the TV monitors inside subway cars, suggests that you give your mom Nintendo's portable videogame system and load it with software like Nintendogs, Brain Age or an interactive cookbook called 1000 Recipes.

It's likely that more than a few consumers will take Nintendo up on the offer. Since it launched in 2004, the touch-screen Nintendo DS has sold well over 16 million units in Japan, outpacing every other game console on the market. On the strength of games like puppy-raising simulators and brain-training ware, many of these sales have been to women. Initially taken off guard, Japan's game makers are now in the grip of girl fever -- scrambling to market directly to women gamers who were once ignored.

"I'd go to school and play the old gray Game Boy on the train, and people would stare," says Eleanor Harada, a 31-year-old computer programmer at a financial firm. "It wasn't normal. Whereas now, if you're a female and you're on the train, you can take out a DS. I think it helps that it looks more stylish than it used to."

Style is a big piece of the marketing surge. At Tsutaya, one of Japan's largest media retail chains, signs reading "Girls' Style" hang in the DS section, explaining to potential buyers what games are most popular with women. In great part, they are the same titles popular with men: New Super Mario Bros., Final Fantasy III, English Training. Nintendo has been reticent about the exact numbers, but in late 2005 Nintendo president Satoru Iwata said about a third of Brain Age buyers in Japan were women.

But in growing numbers, titles are being crafted specifically with women in mind. Following the surprise cross-gender success of Nintendogs, several of these are pet simulators. Magazines like Sutekina Okusan (Fantastic Wife), aimed at middle-aged housewives, advertise Nintendo DS games like Hamusutā to Kurasou, which translates to, "Let's Spend Time With Hamsters."

Self-improvement games comprise another genre aimed at the female audience -- titles like My Happy Manner Book, an interactive Miss Manners-style guide to social situations. Nintendo has had great success with a pair of interactive cookbooks: Cooking Navi has sold more than 800,000 copies, and 1000 Recipes more than 300,000. A game from Sega for young girls called Love and Berry has sold 1 million-plus copies.

Even when game designers aren't making games specifically for women, they've learned the importance of keeping that rapidly emerging market in mind, says Keiichi Yano, designer of the Nintendo DS game Elite Beat Agents.

"When we come up with new project ideas, we take into consideration what the female gamer community is interested in and what DS games are selling for female users," Yano says. In Japan, anything that in sells women's magazines -- "learning, manners, food" -- can also move games off the shelves, says Keiichi.

One indication that women are buying DS in droves is the cottage industry that has sprung up almost overnight for stylish protective DS pouches. Of course, DS owners both male and female need slipcases to protect the system, which costs about $160 in Japan. But the abundance of styles and colors are clearly aimed at women. Some are like miniature purses, bedecked with colorful plastic jewels. There are drawstring pouches in gold lamé, and elegant covers made of traditional kimono cloth. These can run upwards of $30 or $40 each.

Sony, Nintendo's biggest competitor in Japan, is by and large missing out on the women-gamers boom. Harada says the only people she's ever seen on the train playing PSP have been men. The PlayStation products still have the image here of being for hardcore gamers, while the DS -- with its simple input methods and unique software -- is seen as more accessible to beginning players.

"My friend who sits next to me (at work) was saying she might buy a DS for Common Sense Training," Yano says. "When I asked her why, she said it's because it doesn't seem difficult." 

Around the Network

Welcome to Nintendoland

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

well, i did get a pink DS for my back-then fiancee (now wife) for valentines. so... it works.

the Wii is an epidemic.

"Let's Spend Time With Hamsters." - I love Japan :)

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

This is so very true: "Sony, Nintendo's biggest competitor in Japan, is by and large missing out on the women-gamers boom. Harada says the only people she's ever seen on the train playing PSP have been men." I'm not saying *only* males buy a PSP - but I have *never* seen a female, or person over 40(?) ever play/carry a PSP in public. Not surprisingly, it seems to be marketed to the traditional "old-school" gamer market.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Around the Network

I got one for my wife and she never leaves it alone everywhere she goes, cant believe they've never brought out any specific female aimed software for the american market yet.  Perhaps an emagazine with up to the minute gossip column information everywhere you connect it to wifi and updatable articles like "how to please your man" etc.

Could be a massive hit!!

Those people that think they're perfect give a bad reputation to us who are... 

"With the DS, it's fair to say that Nintendo stepped out of the technical race and went for a feature differentiation with the touch screen, but I fear that it won't have a lasting impact beyond that of a gimmick - so the long-lasting appeal of the platform is at peril as a direct result of that." - Phil Harrison, Sony

This is what the hardcore gamers don't understand. There is a ENORMOUS world of untapped customers. The DS and Wii are designed to tap into these blue oceans, not win a technological war of attrition.

well the reality is that the +100ml of userbase of the ps1 and ps2 are not only "hardcore gamers", the 70% or 80% are people that only want play FIFA, some adventure games, and in USA games like madden or mlb games, but dont wanted be play all day or buy many games, thats is the thing that can push the wii for many years without supergraphics i think.

Is Cooking Navi = Cooking Mama? And what is the DS Cuisine Navigator that seems likely to sell a million eventually?

I just love how they are using these two systems to knock down all the marketing walls. It's like crazy Nintendo won't stop until babies are playing the DS fresh from the womb straight till their 90, woman and men, boys and girls. I think next they'll create touch games for your pets. I can see them in a meeting. "We've sold 6 billion DS's we've litterly tapped out the human market, it's time to sell this bad boy to animals..."