By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - DS has passed the SNES in Japan

I've always thought having a private screen for each player might help some multiplayer games, though the market has never really allowed that to show up much. With so many Wiis and DSs, and the technology that allows the DS to download code from other DSs or the Wii, maybe this is the time. At least for 1st party games, I mean, it's got to be a good business selling $130 controllers!

Reality has a Nintendo bias.
Around the Network

I think the PS2 will be surprassed by the DS by the end of the year for sure. Then it'll only be a matter of time before it beats the GameBoy. That could happen in 2008 but it's average weekly sales would have to increase a bit. A price cut and introduction of new system colors would almost certainly give it that boost. I think what's going to be most astounding is the number of multimillion sellers it gets. Already 4 games have surprassed 4 million units sold in Japan alone.

And it already has 1 10 million seller and two sure fire ones...and from the looks of it they will all sell well into that range Imagine the number of million if they decided to implement a Player's Choice system...game like Canvas Curse, Meteos, and AW:DS that circulated when there werent so many consoles sold would easily shoot up...MK:DS and AC: WW might even manage to hit 10 mil...

Yep, the original GB sales seem impossible to beat, 31M... I think the home console market is 20M max (as NES and PSs achived), but for handheld what is the limit? Is 31M the real limit? I think the original, with its various versions was bought several times by the same gamers...

Kai Master said:
I think the original, with its various versions was bought several times by the same gamers...

But there are a lot more gamers now, don't forget how you're supposed to give a pink one to your mother on her day. 

Reality has a Nintendo bias.
Around the Network
Shane said:
I thought the two screens was cool from the beginning. My only question was why Nintendo was pretending they were going to have two portables.

Because they didn't know the DS was going to be such a hit. They knew reaching out to new markets was the best way to regain lost ground, but they didn't know just how well it was going to work. So if the DS flopped, they could stick with the GBA and then work on the next Gameboy.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs