By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Super Official Anime Discussion Thread

Ka-pi96 said:
How can you not like the main girl? She's always the best!

It's the other girls that are annoying, clingy and jealous. Usually because they resent the fact that they aren't the main girl. Also, the main girl is 99% of the time the prettiest of them all as well

Just what I'd expect from someone who likes vanilla bears.

Around the Network
pokoko said:
Aeolus451 said:

Ah so you're kinda a hipster on this?  

Not at all.  I think it has more to do with the main female often being a standardized girl that's built to appeal to the most people, which, unfortunately, sometimes translates into a 'safe' choice with fewer quirks that catch my interest.  The female lead just doesn't seem to align very often with what I prefer, especially if they're the clingy type.

I get ya. I have similar tastes in female characters. I prefer the different or unique type of women but sometimes the standard types catch my my attention. 

For example, I liked Ruri and Saori from Oriemo but not Ayase, Kirino or Manami.

I liked Kurumu and Mizore from Rosario + Vampire.

Ka-pi96 said:
How can you not like the main girl? She's always the best!

It's the other girls that are annoying, clingy and jealous. Usually because they resent the fact that they aren't the main girl. Also, the main girl is 99% of the time the prettiest of them all as well

The entirety of my time with Oreimo was frantically hoping if ANY of the side characters would make it with MC and then being devastated by Kirino beating them one by one.

Muda Muda Muda Muda Muda Muda!!!!

Aeolus451 said:
pokoko said:

Not at all.  I think it has more to do with the main female often being a standardized girl that's built to appeal to the most people, which, unfortunately, sometimes translates into a 'safe' choice with fewer quirks that catch my interest.  The female lead just doesn't seem to align very often with what I prefer, especially if they're the clingy type.

I get ya. I have similar tastes in female characters. I prefer the different or unique type of women but sometimes the standard types catch my my attention. 

For example, I liked Ruri and Saori from Oriemo but not Ayase, Kirino or Manami.

I liked Kurumu and Mizore from Rosario + Vampire.

Rosario + Vampire is a good example.  Moka (normal form) does nothing for me.  She's cute, positive, and kind of generic.  The whole "perfect girl" aura doesn't feel very interesting.  Kurumu was so much more dynamic and her internal conflict was more compelling.  

Oriemo, though ... I think it's normal, at this point, to prefer Ruri or Saori over Kirino.  That's more an example of where the author was the one who was wrong.

pokoko said:

I can see where you're coming from...though for me, it's kind of the opposite. The main girl is usually the character that gets the most character exposition, and tends to be a lot more fleshed out in general due to the needs of the plot. That's important for me, because I can't root for a character simply due to superficial qualities like appearance or personality. The main character might not have 'quirks', but they usually tend to get a lot more character development over time, which is something I require when deciding on my favorite characters.

There are definitely a lot of exceptions of course, and I'm sure I can think of several times where I preferred a side character over the main one. Diane in Seven Deadly Sins is a recent example that comes to mind...though I liked her character a lot more for the same reasons above. I definitely consider those examples to be the exception rather than the rule though.

I guess in short, you can say I root for the more "human" characters, and that typically seems to be found in the lead characters in my personal experience.

NNID: Zephyr25 / PSN: Zephyr--25 / Switch: SW-4450-3680-7334

Around the Network
Super_Boom said:
pokoko said:

I can see where you're coming from...though for me, it's kind of the opposite. The main girl is usually the character that gets the most character exposition, and tends to be a lot more fleshed out in general due to the needs of the plot. That's important for me, because I can't root for a character simply due to superficial qualities like appearance or personality. The main character might not have 'quirks', but they usually tend to get a lot more character development over time, which is something I require when deciding on my favorite characters.

There are definitely a lot of exceptions of course, and I'm sure I can think of several times where I preferred a side character over the main one. Diane in Seven Deadly Sins is a recent example that comes to mind...though I liked her character a lot more for the same reasons above. I definitely consider those examples to be the exception rather than the rule though.

I guess in short, you can say I root for the more "human" characters, and that typically seems to be found in the lead characters in my personal experience.

We're just going to have to agree to disagree, yo.  One of the more common reasons I turn away from the primary female character is that they often feel too perfect, which makes me think of them more as a plot device than a person.  As far as having more story elements, that's true, but with harem anime, that often doesn't translate to character development.  In fact, one of things that bothers me about harem anime in general is that character development for a lot of the female characters comes down to, "I realize that I love him because he saved me from X."

As you said, though, there are exceptions everywhere for everything.  

No poll in the world can make me choose between Suu and Rachy. It will always be both. At the same time.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

pokoko said:

We're just going to have to agree to disagree, yo.  One of the more common reasons I turn away from the primary female character is that they often feel too perfect, which makes me think of them more as a plot device than a person.  As far as having more story elements, that's true, but with harem anime, that often doesn't translate to character development.  In fact, one of things that bothers me about harem anime in general is that character development for a lot of the female characters comes down to, "I realize that I love him because he saved me from X."

As you said, though, there are exceptions everywhere for everything.  

I guess it depends on the show...though I'll accept we tend to see different aspects to those characters.

I agree that harem anime tends to overuse that development, though I'm probably more forgiving because of the focus. I still tend to prefer the characters that get development outside the romance aspect, be it problems with friends, family, etc, rather than just being satellites to the MC. Sometimes it's too much to hope for in the genre, but the ones that do get broader development are characters I tend to be crazy about...hehe.

They kinda overuse tsundere types as the main female characters.

I haven't looked up much Jojo info before this season...but wow. I was not expecting Savage Garden to do the ED. That amused me, I remember my mom had that song on cassette when I was a kid.

Decent second episode...glad it ended that way.