By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Super Official Anime Discussion Thread

Pavolink said:
So, be kind please...
Recently finished looking at Death Note (first season) and I'm in fear at looking at the second one. Do not want to ruin it because I found to be one of the best series I've ever seen.

So, what is the general opinion on Death Note?

It was a good mystery anime. 

Around the Network

Fate shaft makes me cream

No more Shiraiyuki :(

God damn I can't go here anymore. I'm like 50 episodes behind which means like I still have to end like 20 animes. I hope I can do it in 4 days.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Oh my god! Fate/extra finally getting an anime! It does make sense it's shaft since they did the opening for the game. I'm still sad we never got fate/extra ccc :'(
At least I'll finally see Nero in an anime.

Edit: Just remembered the new fate game they announced had Nero, so this might be a way to push sales. I'm not complaining though!

I'm on episode 7 or 8 of Haikyuu now, so it's nice to see more is coming. It's good, with more humor than I thought. I like that the main character is kind of awkward rather than just being straight-up SUPER SHOUNEN BELIEVE THAT! style. My one criticism is that it can be very over-dramatic at times, with long DBZ type pauses while the ball is up in the air and the character currently having a revelation is reflecting on their entire childhood and having flashbacks of all the advice they've been given by their teammates. Sometimes I find myself checking the episode time to see if I'm near the end. Overall, though, it's an entertaining series with lots of potential character development. It's kind of amusing how little of any match is actually shown but that's the way a lot of sports anime are presented.

Around the Network
Versus_Evil said:

Haikyuu!! Season 3 Confirmed

Synopsis: Shōyō Hinata began playing volleyball after seeing the "small giants" who played the sport when he was in elementary school. He suffers a crushing defeat in his first and last tournament in middle school at the hands of his rival Tobio Kageyama. So, Hinata joins Kurasuno High School's volleyball team, vowing revenge against Kageyama. However, Kageyama is also on Kurasuno's team. The former rivals form a legendary combo with Hinata's mobility and Kageyama's precision ball-handling. Together, they take on the local tournaments and vow to meet Kurasuno's fated rival school in the nationals.

I figured there was gonna be more seasons. Could easily be a very long running anime. I like it. I've also been watching Ace of the diamond.

Versus_Evil said:
Aeolus451 said:

I figured there was gonna be more seasons. Could easily be a very long running anime. I like it. I've also been watching Ace of the diamond.

That's the baseball one right? I've never been a fan of sports anime, I've tried to get into many but... I just can't ;-;

Which ones have you tried?

Yeah, it is. I was like that for a very long time but I gave one a chance and watched a few episodes. It turns out that I liked it. Watching any sport except women's volleyball is boring to me (haha) but with anime sports, it's very different for me because I can experience the whole process of defeat, trying to better oneself and then overcoming challenge. They're actually very emotional. 

It kinda started with Food Wars. Never thought I would like it but I did. Someone in here mentioned Haikyu and I figured I give it a shot. Suprisingly, I liked it too. My taste in anime since visting this thread is expanding. 

Versus_Evil said:

That's the baseball one right? I've never been a fan of sports anime, I've tried to get into many but... I just can't ;-;

Some people count them and some don't but Chihayafuru and Saki are two of the best.  Most sports anime end up being the same thing, just translated to different sports, but those two bring their own unique attributes to the table.  Chihayafuru has excellent drama and character work, while Saki is fantastic at making you care for all the different characters from other schools.  Saki also has some of the most exciting moments in any sport/game anime I've ever seen.

Rinshan Kaihou!

One that does not get the credit it deserves is Taisho Baseball Girls.  So good in a lot of ways.  Not only are the characters good but the struggle is much more interesting than just some kid who finds his shounen spirit and refuses to give up.  More than a good sports anime, it's a really good anime in general.

A lot of the normal sports anime that have long runs, I end up losing interest.  Eyeshield 21 was a lot of fun but it just seemed to go on forever and I didn't make it to the end.  

If we're talking about sports anime then there is only one true king and that is Hajime no Ippo. Amazing boxing anime and it's animated by Madhouse.

If you guys like Haikyuu, should definitely try out kuroko no basket since they are very similar other than the fact that they're based on different sports. And Slam Dunk if you're a basketball fan, you'll love it.
Ace of Diamonds and Prince of Tennis are really good too.
Sports anime doesn't get the attention it deserves sadly and that's too bad because there are a lot of great sports anime.

Versus_Evil said:

Saki is up on Crunchy, 38 episods, it looks great in fact. Ty ima check that out ^^

One word of warning: when I first watched Saki, I wrote a negative review calling it just another fanservice anime with impossibly short skirts and I dropped it after one episode.

Which, yeah, they're pretty damn short.  After hearing more about it, though, I picked it up again later.  It doesn't really turn awesome until they start playing, so expect a little slowness initially.  Once that starts, however, the pace almost never drags like with many other sports anime.

Also, I wish I were this cool.