By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Super Official Anime Discussion Thread

I'm gonna cancel my sub to funimation after the free trial is over. So I'm trying to binge watch as much anime as possible that's not on crunchyroll. That's what I'm up to for another week. 

If you don't want to read about the why I'm dropping funimation then don't bother reading any of the stuff behind the spoiler mark.

The funimation app on the PS4 is laggy. I have 100 meg connection speed and my netflix/crunchyroll work perfectly. Grrr. A good bit of the anime I've been watching on there is censored. In some cases, the censorship is far worse than anything on crunchyroll. For example, some of the fight scenes in Tokyo Ghoul are edited to where a character's damaged body (knives stuck in it) is blurred (knives stuck in it) and in a different case a black bar is blocking half the screen in a scene because of blood on the floor. The censorship has no consistency. Most of that anime has a lot of blood in it or bodies/characters are severely damaged but it's not censored. *Shrugs. To me it's not worth the price of the subscription with all that's bothering me about the service.

Around the Network
pokoko said:
I'm trying the Assassination Classroom anime but ... it's pretty boring so far. I read the first few issues of the manga a while back but dropped it for the same reason. Unless someone tells me the characters get a LOT more interesting, I'm probably going to give up on the anime, too.

Might try Haikyu, though I much prefer anime with more female representation.

I dropped so many anime mid-way this past season but I'm having a hard time caring enough to go back and finish them.

Characters? Hm...for me the characters that draw me in the most are Koro-sensei, Gakuho Asano (the principal), and some future villains you might not have met. The show has had some of the best villains I've seen in a shonen in a long time, and the main antagonist having Sosuke Aizen's voice is just icing on the cake. 

Most of the students really aren't that interesting, but there's also like 30 of them to juggle. Other than Nagisa, Karma, and maybe Terasaka, none of them seem to get much real character development. Irina/Bitch-sensei gets some great character development later, but it'll take ~30 episodes to get to that point.

I think what I find the most appealing is the mystery behind it all, particularly Koro-sensei's true identity and the reason he exists as a threat. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing how that comes out. If that hasn't really pulled you in yet, that's understandable. I know I've dropped a lot of well-written anime because I found the characters to be boring. I think Ass-class is just one of those rare examples where the intrigue is enough to keep me going.

NNID: Zephyr25 / PSN: Zephyr--25 / Switch: SW-4450-3680-7334

So, be kind please...
Recently finished looking at Death Note (first season) and I'm in fear at looking at the second one. Do not want to ruin it because I found to be one of the best series I've ever seen.

So, what is the general opinion on Death Note?

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Pavolink said:
So, be kind please...
Recently finished looking at Death Note (first season) and I'm in fear at looking at the second one. Do not want to ruin it because I found to be one of the best series I've ever seen.

I liked the OVAs more...found the anime to be too dialogue heavy. I can appreciate it was well written anyway, and Madhouse was amazing as always. If you liked season 1 you'll probably like season 2....though I'm not sure who you're rooting for, so I could be wrong.

That being said, if you like Light, stay away from the manga. 

Super_Boom said:
Pavolink said:
So, be kind please...

I liked the OVAs more...found the anime to be too dialogue heavy. I can appreciate it was well written anyway, and Madhouse was amazing as always. If you liked season 1 you'll probably like season 2....though I'm not sure who you're rooting for, so I could be wrong.

That being said, if you like Light, stay away from the manga. 

I like him, but I suppose he is more than a d*ick in the manga?

Edit: Oh and I liked the conflict between Kira and L. So having L dead is pointless to me to keep watching. Dont know if the new cast will be as amazing as him. Btw, loved that scene. Light Yagami won.

Around the Network
Pavolink said:

He's the same in the manga...it's just the ending that's different. Or rather the tone of it...hard to explain without spoilers.

Super_Boom said:
Pavolink said:

He's the same in the manga...it's just the ending that's different. Or rather the tone of it...hard to explain without spoilers.

Well, you can explain to me even with spoilers. Not a problem to me.

Pavolink said:

Hmm...well it's basically that the author was trying to write Light as a villain, and the anime doesn't always portray him that way. So the conclusion of the manga is pretty harsh for Light, while the anime isn't nearly as bad. I suppose if you want to simplify it, you can say the author related more with L's character.

Once you finish, I recommend checking out the ending of the manga, just the last few pages. It really shocked me how different the endings were.

Super_Boom said:
Pavolink said:

Hmm...well it's basically that the author was trying to write Light as a villain, and the anime doesn't always portray him that way. So the conclusion of the manga is pretty harsh for Light, while the anime isn't nearly as bad. I suppose if you want to simplify it, you can say the author related more with L's character.

Once you finish, I recommend checking out the ending of the manga, just the last few pages. It really shocked me how different the endings were.

Now that's interesting! I'll try it.

Btw, Light >>>>> L

Versus_Evil said:
Aeolus451 said:

I'm gonna cancel my sub to funimation after the free trial is over. So I'm trying to binge watch as much anime as possible that's not on crunchyroll. That's what I'm up to for another week. 

If you don't want to read about the why I'm dropping funimation then don't bother reading any of the stuff behind the spoiler mark.

Yeah, Funimation are launching in the UK and all ive heard is bad stuff about the quality of they're service. As apposed to a service ive been using since 2012 and ive never had a single issue with. I want Crunchy to give me a reason to not need to sign up to Funi this season.

I can easily see someone subscribing to it for a season or just to watch one anime or a few because the only thing it really has going for it is that there's anime not on crunchyroll on there.