By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Super Official Anime Discussion Thread

pokoko said:
AsGryffynn said:

We don't need more shoujo... 

We don't?  What do we need more of?  Shounen, which already outnumbers everything else, anyway?  

No, diversity is good.

That's dying... You're mistaking it for seinen that's starting to become the new shounen... 

Seriously, it's either slice of life or GoW violence... Whatever happened to stuff like Bleach... 

There are already enough shoujo out there... 

Around the Network
Versus_Evil said:
^Stop

And yes we do XD more shoujo the better!

NEVER!

Shadow8 said:
Shoujo is love
Shoujo is life

Sorry, but I'll have to say... 

AsGryffynn said:

That's dying... You're mistaking it for seinen that's starting to become the new shounen... 

Seriously, it's either slice of life or GoW violence... Whatever happened to stuff like Bleach... 

Uh huh.  Let's see what Livechart says for next season.

I count 14 shounen results.  6 shoujo results.

Anichart has 21 shounen results including holdovers and OVAs/movies.  6 shoujo.

Hmmm.

That's just labeled manga versions, of course, which is really the only area the terms apply. 

Shōnen, shonen, or shounen manga (少年漫画 shōnen manga?) is manga aimed at a young male audience. The age group varies with individual readers and different magazines, but it is primarily intended for boys between the ages of 8 to 18.[1] The kanji characters (少年) literally mean "boy" (or "youth"), and the characters (漫画) mean "cartoon" or "comic". Thus, the complete phrase means "young person's comic", or simply "boys' comic". Shōnen manga is the most popular form of manga,[2][3] and the female equivalent to it is shōjo manga.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sh%C5%8Dnen_manga

If you're using the terms incorrectly then that's on you.

If what you really mean to say is that there is more anime aimed at girls than at boys then there is no way in hell.

If you're trying to say that there is less anime about fighting than about everything else combined, maybe, but it's kind of silly to group anime like that.  There is still a ton of anime centered around fighting and action.

It really just sounds like you're trying to make the term shounen mean fighting anime and shoujo mean anime that have girls in them.  They do not mean that.

Depends... was the disparity worse between 1991 and 2006 any worse?

AsGryffynn said:

Seinen? What shows are you talking about? There are tons of shonen with heavy violence, but I'd hardly say seinen are taking over. The majority of the new material still seems to be targetting young males, which is the shounen demographic.

Like Pokoko said, you're likely confusing demographics with genres. Violence =/= Seinen and Romance =/= Shoujo. Stuff like Shingeki no Kyojin are still released in shounen magazines, and most standard harem manga obviously aren't targetting a female audience.

Regardless, I'd also be happy if every anime season only had shows that appealed to me...but variety is always a good thing for the medium.

NNID: Zephyr25 / PSN: Zephyr--25 / Switch: SW-4450-3680-7334

Around the Network

First post here, better make it count...

Just watched the final episode of ERASED, and it was great!

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

Versus_Evil said:

Best Female

Suchiko Fujinuma (ERASED)

Absolutely.  She was fantastic.  Actually, forget best female, I'd love to see more characters like her in general.  Brave, intelligent, and perceptive but human and not above mistakes.  We joke about the teenaged "waffu" here a lot but she's a great example of a woman.  I find that to be much more attractive.  Awesome character design.

This season was weak imo
Erased and Konosuba being the only real highlights if we exclude second seasons like Shiraiyuki

Spring is looking better

I wonder who is going to voice Lailah In Zestiria X, given that her VA died.. and i loved her voice :(

Roronaa_chan said:
This season was weak imo

Dont tell me you missed the criminally underrated (lol) and supremely well made (roflmao) LUCK AND LOGIC! I mean just look at this!

and this!

Muda Muda Muda Muda Muda Muda!!!!

Toonami to Co-Produce 2 New FLCL Seasons (Updated)

posted on 2016-03-24 17:29 EDT

12 episodes will be a sequel to 2000-2001 OVA

The official Facebook for Adult Swim's Toonami block announced on Thursday that it will co-produce 12 new episodes of FLCL with Production I.G. The 12 episodes will be a sequel to the 2000-2001 original video anime, and will be split into two seasons. The show is slated for late 2017 to early 2018.  http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-03-24/toonami-to-co-produce-2-new-flcl-seasons/.100222