By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - So why are people OK with ads on the 360/One dashboard?

Are you OK with ads on you console?`

Yup 60 13.16%

Nope 311 68.20%

Indifferent 54 11.84%

See results 29 6.36%

Total:454
Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:
VanceIX said:

Wait... thats a thing? Huh, I never knew that lolll. Are they annoying? It kinda seems weird that u would get ads on ur dashboard of all places... Like I get getting ads on the store but dashboard? Hmm

6 out of the 9 tiles are ads on the homescreen.

Wow... I never seen a paid things have ads on the home screen before... Cause I mean, you paid for them, I would expect the home screen to be filled with like screenshots of already owned games or picture gallary and etc, not ads... Specially if you pay for gold... Just man, that company lolll! First they popularize paid online and now this, come on MS. I wish people would do something, next thing you know there will be ads on playstation (if there aren't already cause I dont have a ps4 so idk) and then Nintendo after... T_T

Least its not annoying but the idea that they can get away with it actually bothers be to a degree cause imo, it doesn't really show respect to the consumers that pay for their services

Completely agree. I can live with it, but it's such bullcrap that they can get away with this, despite charging users to play online anyway. On my PS4, the screen has all MY content. Same on the PS3 and Wii U. Sure, there are little texts ads in the corner sometimes, but none blatantly in your face like here.

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

Around the Network

My first 360 was offline for years. Never connected it to live. Then I bought the 360 E model and it came with a month free of Live Gold. I tested it out, and the FIRST thing I noticed was the ads. I couldn't believe that they would put that stuff on paying subscribers home screens. Not just ads for games, but stuff way off base like political garbage. That was my first and only month with Gold.

Wow... I never seen a paid things have ads on the home screen before... Cause I mean, you paid for them, I would expect the home screen to be filled with like screenshots of already owned games or picture gallary and etc, not ads... Specially if you pay for gold... Just man, that company lolll! First they popularize paid online and now this, come on MS. I wish people would do something, next thing you know there will be ads on playstation (if there aren't already cause I dont have a ps4 so idk) and then Nintendo after... T_T

Least its not annoying but the idea that they can get away with it actually bothers be to a degree cause imo, it doesn't really show respect to the consumers that pay for their services

Have you ever paid for cable channels? Bus ticket? Soccer ticket? Don't you pay for those services and still find ads there that are more intrusive than Xbox's?

The only people complaining about this are people that don't own a Xbox or because they were offered one and still don't like it.

i mean, does it degrade game experience? No.

Does it clog the dashboard? No, it's very intuitive and very easy to find items.

Goatseye said:

Have you ever paid for cable channels? Bus ticket? Soccer ticket? Don't you pay for those services and still find ads there that are more intrusive than Xbox's?

The only people complaining about this are people that don't own a Xbox or because they were offered one and still don't like it.

Does it clog the dashboard? No, it's very intuitive and very easy to find items.

Have you seen the pictures I linked? It's very intrusive, compared to the other consoles.

And cable channels are a horrible example, since you pay for the cable itself, not the channels. CBS/ABC/NBC/Fox/whatever don't directly get the money you pay to Comcast/TW/whoever, they get money through ad revenue, that's their primary way of making money.

And bus/soccer tickets have nothing to with with electronics, at all. If my phone screen was 3/4 ads when I turned it on, I would be pissed. Same if it happened to my desktop.

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

Goatseye said:

I know you weren't replying to me so hope you don't mind me jumping in, but I don't subscribe to cable television. One of the reasons being commercials. I only pay for internet. And for that I use adblock. Don't ride the bus or watch professional sports.

I love my 360 and am complaining about it. And yes it does clog the dashboard and is very distracting. Can you see the pics that others posted in this thread?

Around the Network

I honestly barely notice the ads.

Also, they aren't always there. I just booted my 360 a little while ago and there was a big ad for games on sale.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Goatseye said:

Well actually, we dont have cable anymore and we didnt have it for the past 7 years cause of the ads... And we both know that Transit isn't even remotely the samething as owning a device and neither is a Soccer ticket. And yes, Ads do down grade the cable experience? Who the hell wants to wait 3-5 minutes of ads while watching a show, specially during suspense moments... Granted I don't own and xbox (and this type of a reason is exactly why) but I sure as hell wouldnt like ads at all on my ps3 or wiiU...

Its like if I had ads on my phone, or on my PC or on my ipad or anything else that I own... If I go to the store, sure, if I play a free-to-play game, sure but on my homescreen? Hell no! Why? Cause its my personal space that I want to fill it up with my personal things, not things from what Microsoft or other companies want to fill it up with

Its that that of logic that lets these companies get away with these nonsense, cause they just want to see how far they can get away with it. And its exactly the fact that people let them get away with it is why they can come up with stupid stuff like the always online DRM or mandatory Kinect and etc cause they presume that people are idiots and will buy into anything they tell them to. I know gamers are smart, I just wish they would react more to unfair treatement such as that rather then just letting it slide

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

It's slightly annoying, just like the giant Axe ads I've seen on PSN granted that was only in the store but still...

supafly said:

My first 360 was offline for years. Never connected it to live. Then I bought the 360 E model and it came with a month free of Live Gold. I tested it out, and the FIRST thing I noticed was the ads. I couldn't believe that they would put that stuff on paying subscribers home screens. Not just ads for games, but stuff way off base like political garbage. That was my first and only month with Gold.

Ads on pay services aren't that unusual. Hulu Plus has ads you're forced to wait for. Pay television services has ads. Sirius XM has commerical breaks. I could give more examples.

I don't mind the Xbox ads because I don't have to wait for them. I generally just go straight to my game. But hey, I'm just thinking logically.

Also, you say they put political garbage? I recall them posting ads about debates and stuff like that which is fine. They aren't pushing any political agendas.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

When I used to have X360, there were a lot of adds, but I didn't mind as much because they were mostly gaming/entertainment related.
What bothered me much more is that those adds seemed to slow down my dashboard, it would load slowly, and the guide button would not respond as quickly when there were multiple adds on the screen.