By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - If Microsoft had a built-in HD-DVD...

What do you think would have happened if the XBox 360 had a built in HD-DVD drive from the start, a la PS3 with Blu Ray?

Would the format war still be going on? Would Microsoft have had to raise the price of their console and potentially killed their chances in the console war?

What do you guys think? 

Around the Network

I'd say it would be going strong, especially in NA

Current Consoles: Xbox 360 Elite, Playstation 2, Gaming Rig, Nintendo Wii, Playstation 3.

Xbox Live: Jessman_Aus - Playing: Ace Combat 6, Fifa 09

Playstation Network: Jessman_Aus - Playing: MGS4, Resistance 2

Wii Freind Code: 3513-9191-8534-3866 - Playing: SSBB

Brawl Code: 1590-6125-1250

Xfire: J3ssman - Playing: Fallout 3, Farcry 2

Jessman: Fears the Mangina

My 2 cents is if MS had put an HD DVD drive in the 360, they would have either had to have taken massive losses on each console sold or raised the price near PS3 level. I think they would have had to gone with raising the prices. Now in the beginning of this format war it was

Blu-ray

Fox
Sony
Disney
Lionsgate
Warner
Paramount

HD DVD
Universal
Warner
Paramount

Now given how poorly the PS3 sold at that high price I can't imagine the 360 doing much better in America and even worse internationally. PS3 would have had the better value still because it offered much more studio support. Now with such low numbers in sales for the 360, it would no longer be a given, that devs, with current PS3 exclusive titles like, Assassin's Creed, Devil May Cry 4, and Ace Combat 6 would have found it worth it to put their titles on the Xbox 360. Thus, giving the PS3 a few other really big exclusives along with bigger HD studio support, it would have really sunk the 360s numbers farther. Making it that much easier for the PS3 to completely run over the XBOX 360 along with Microsoft's now huge investment in HD DVD.  Also, the 360 would have had to be delayed about 4-5 more months to put HD DVD in it, further dropping its sales numbers.  After the failure of the first XBOX I'm not sure how much MS was willing to risk on the 360.

i don't think the 360 would've launched at a higher prce
the hd-dvd would have had a bigger install, but in this case the latter would be on top.
bluray is better than hd-dvd and people would make the jump.... but Wii would still be #1

ahahahhahahahahahahaaaha.......such a fanboy

my signature went on strike, it's demanding 3% raise

@Stockstar: Remember, though, HD-DVD likely would have had more support if it was built-in to each Xbox.

However, I agree, it would've been catastrophic for MS. Their biggest saving grace right now (to some) is that they're cheaper.

Also, I believe a lot more people would get (or at least want) Wiis, seeing as how it would be $250 running against $500-$600 competitors.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."
Around the Network

No doubt the 360 would have come out at a higher price and later date. I dont think the failure rates be as bad as they are because they had more time to tinker with the technology. Had the 360 come out the same time the ps3 did at the same price id imagine the north american numbers would be reversed right now.

thekitchensink said:
@Stockstar: Remember, though, HD-DVD likely would have had more support if it was built-in to each Xbox.

However, I agree, it would've been catastrophic for MS. Their biggest saving grace right now (to some) is that they're cheaper.

Also, I believe a lot more people would get (or at least want) Wiis, seeing as how it would be $250 running against $500-$600 competitors.

i really don't think you can say that.  it would have launched only a few months before ps3 and probably with even worse sales than the 360 had to begin with.  sony definately would not have supported it, disney and fox sided with blu-ray for region protection, and xbox having hd dvd in their console wouldn't have changed that.  Lionsgate is doubtful to have moved either as it is run by a bunch of people who used to work at Sony.  These studios would have seen poor 360 sales and no security and said, well stick with blu-ray exclusivity.  Devs would have seen poor 360 sales and said, we aren't putting our PS3 exclusive titles on 360 and sales would have been even worse.

I think the 360 would have been a total disaster with HD DVD built in.

Toshiba might have stuck around a little longer with HD DVD, but when it did drop it, man the 360 would look like a huge failure.

I think this would have made HD last longer, but in the long run blue ray probably would have won simply because they seemed more willing to buy studio support.

I find these "What if" threads to be quite pointless, simply we do not know what would have happened, and does it really matter what we think now that its done and over with?

Honestly, I'd be willing to bet on the system it would have little to no effect. HD-DVD or Blu-ray discs could be used for games long after studios dump the format for movies. Even if Blu-ray movies had failed and lost I think it's impact on PS3 sales for anything other than a movie player would have been 0 just like if it was HD-DVD and 360.

Just a thought but as long as discs were produced it'd be easy to keep it up for a game format.