By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is Sony Worried Nintendo's Plans Could Hurt PS4 Sales?

You posted a motlyfool article... Lol

Around the Network

I highly doubt they are afraid of Nintendo considering that while MK8 did and does continue to sell a lot of units, its not moving too much hardware so I doubt Sonys got anything to worry about

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

what did i just read O_O

Bets:

(Won)Bet with TechoHobbit: He(Techno) says 10 million by January 1,2014 I say 9 million by then. Winner gets 2 weeks of sig control.

(Lost)Bet with kinisking: I say Ps4 will win April NPD while he says Xbox One will win it; winner gets 1 week of avatar control.

Raichu's First Series:

First RPG?

First Fighter?

First Racer?

First Shooter?

First MMO?

First Horror?

Official Ni No Kuni Fanboy:

Familiars Captured:37

Game Beaten: 2 times almost

Times I got teary during some scenes: 3

No fear, the Wii and remaster talk is just a public excuse for.. the remasters. If they really wanted to target Wii market they'd have done something in that direction already, and they haven't. Maybe Morpheus in the future, but nothing for now.

Will be interesting to see how amiibos play out for Nintendo.

Let's see if parents want to splurge again all their money after Skylanders and Disney Infinity.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network

errrr........... ok.

Maybe House would have said it better if he said "in addition to getting everyone that bought a PS3 and some that bought only a 360 we are also aiming for those that only bought a wii".

Then again, that is exactly what every platform owner going into a new generation plans on doing as that is the only way you can increase your market share from the previous generation.

spurgeonryan said:

In conclusion, Sony is clearly getting rattled by Nintendo's big gains -- otherwise, it wouldn't need to try to "welcome back" gamers who were never theirs to begin with.

What an absolutely terrible conclusion to make. Why would Sony be rattled by Nintendo's "big" gains when the author just finished stating that core Nintendo owners aren't interested in the types of games Sony is offering on the PS4?

"the simple fact is that many of them simply don't care. Nintendo purists likely consider The Last of Us to be an overrated intersection of the Hollywood and gaming worlds, while Sony fans mock Mario Kart 8 as a kiddie racing game. Combining those two worlds is like mixing oil with water."

EDIT:

I agree with this though:
"To understand why House's ambitious strategy is flawed, we need to realize that Nintendo's Wii audience was mainly split into two groups -- core Nintendo gamers...and new casual gamers"

Wii only owners didn't care about PS3's library and they won't care if Sony brings those games into PS4's.

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

My thoughts are that both sony and microsoft were rattled by Nintendo after the wii us release, and as such announced the release of the PS4 and XB1 before they were ready. In hindsight they probably didnt have to as wii u sales dropped off a cliff and I highly doubt either company is too worried about Nintendo at the moment.

Well I can't comment on the article per se but it is evident that PS4 used to be selling 150+ per week but now that X1 has the $399 and WiiU had Mario Kart, WiiU and X1 are in the 60 000's and PS4 dropped below 100 000. So their gains are at PS4's expense.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles.