By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - As Global PC Game Revenue Surpasses Consoles, How Long Should Console Makers Keep Fighting?

ikki5 said:
phaedruss said:
Isn't a lot of PC gaming revenue coming from LoL? lol

Doubt it, I am pretty sure Steam makes way more than they do as League of Legends is a free to play game and I honestly doubt that the majority of people spend a lot of money on it. Some yeah, but most would probably spend $20-$30 a year even if that.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2014-01-20-league-of-legends-2013-revenue-topped-USD600m-report

Also, this from the OP-

DFC says that MOBA (multiplayer online battle arena) titles like League of Legends and DotA 2 “dominate everything else by an order of magnitude in terms of more usage than other products,” followed by MMOs, strategy games, and shooters.

Around the Network
Zekkyou said:

"900 million PC gamers worldwide"

See, this is my problem with these articles. They throw around hugely inflated numbers that have little context in a direct comparison to consoles, then use said pointless comparison to claim the possible irrelevance of consoles.

It makes me happy to see the PC market grow (especially since it directly benefits me as a PC gamer), but pretending the core PC market is maybe going to replace console gaming (despite accounting for a pretty small portion of major publisher software sales), is just silly.

That's not to say the core PC market isn't huge, it is. It's just not 900m huge :p

How big would you said the core PC game market is? I'm wondering and I have no idea. It is bigger than the core console market?

phaedruss said:
Isn't a lot of PC gaming revenue coming from LoL? lol

Not just LoL, the FTP market in general is an absolute beast.

There was a graph going around showing the top 10 games by free to play earnings that added up to over $3.5 billion. Yep. $3.5 billion. From the micro transactions of just 10 games.

I think LoL was the second largest in 2013. A game called CrossFire is on top (with almost $1 billion on its own).

900 million PC gamers? Sure if you count people like my mother who only plays the pre-installed spider solitaire on her PC. But people like that are by no means a current or even potential revenue stream for game makers.

My guess would be that the core PC gaming audience is about the same size as the console market.

Comparing TLOU to Diablo III is disingenuous. Quite apart from the fact that TLOU was new IP and Diablo III was a hotly anticipated sequel to a beloved PC franchise. And let us ask why it was Diablo III is on console when the earlier games are not? Let's also compare sales of a popular game that is on both consoles and PC, like CoD or BF or GTA. Things are not so one sided as this person would like to make out.

Still MS and Sony do seem to percieve that consoles can't survive as single use devices. One of their main advantages is that in 90% of homes (I'm guessing) consoles are connected to bigger and better quality screens. It has always been the case in my house and I have always enjoyed my fair share of PC gaming.

And as for better quality. My PC is less powerful than my PS4 and I don't see myself upgrading for at least 2 years, so for a while at least I expect my PS4 will deliver better looking multiplat games (like ME4 and DA:I). It has always been that way because my PC and console upgrade cycles are always staggered.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Devil_Survivor said:
Zekkyou said:

See, this is my problem with these articles. They throw around hugely inflated numbers that have little context in a direct comparison to consoles, then use said pointless comparison to claim the possible irrelevance of consoles.

It makes me happy to see the PC market grow (especially since it directly benefits me as a PC gamer), but pretending the core PC market is maybe going to replace console gaming (despite accounting for a pretty small portion of major publisher software sales), is just silly.

That's not to say the core PC market isn't huge, it is. It's just not 900m huge :p

How big would you said the core PC game market is? I'm wondering and I have no idea. It is bigger than the core console market?

It's difficult to say. The western console market is certainly larger than the western PC market, but by how much depends on how broadly you define "core".

The global core PC marker? No idea. I'd say the PC market is likely bigger when you include places like China and South Korea, but i don't know what defines the core market there (or if they even have one like ours). They have little relevance to the console market though (at least right now), so adding them to a comparison wouldn't make much sense 99% of the time.

Around the Network

Lol. Sorry. PC gamers wont have the opportunity to play the last of us. They cant have what they want. Their jealousy is beyondmy imagination.

Zekkyou said:
Devil_Survivor said:
Zekkyou said:

It's difficult to say. The western console market is certainly larger than the western PC market, but by how much depends on how broadly you define "core".

The global core PC marker? No idea. I'd say the PC market is likely bigger when you include places like China and South Korea, but i don't know what defines the core market there (or if they even have one like ours). They have little relevance to the console market though (at least right now), so adding them to a comparison wouldn't make much sense 99% of the time.

Well I actually live in South Korea and I been here almost 3 years now. From I have seen people here in Korea are more likely to be PC gamers then console because the biggest games are Starcraft, Lol, Dota2, Crossfire, etc. basically all the MMOA games. All my friends and my students play those games and very few have a console. That said some console games like GTA 5 are very popular here to the point it gets featured in SNL Korea skits. China from what I see is the relatively the same.

daredevil.shark said:
Lol. Sorry. PC gamers wont have the opportunity to play the last of us. They cant have what they want. Their jealousy is beyondmy imagination.

Please try to understand that most PC gamers couldn't care less about your exclusives. I am PC + Sony gamer but I have absolutely no interest in TLoU, it doesn't appeal to me in any way. I bought into the Uncharted hype and those clunky cover shooters were a waste of my time and nerves. Gran Turismo is a driving school sim only more annoying than the real thing LOL etc etc.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

Keep in mind that 1/3rd of that revenue lies in Asia. It also includes social games revenue and PC hardware.

Some nice contradictions in that article

The list in favor of developing games on PC instead of consoles is lengthy, and I won’t get too verbose about it here.
But consider the lower cost of lifetime ownership (no fees for PSN, Xbox Live), or the competitive digital distribution landscape which inspires frequent sales on Steam, Green Man Gaming, and Origin. Consider the increasing portability of the PC. Consider the explosion of Virtual Reality games on the horizon when Oculus Rift releases. Or the freedom of control choice (gamepad, keyboard and mouse, Kinect, VR, motion, etc). Or the more open and flexible nature of PC operating systems.

Those are not reasons in favor of developing for pc. Maintain your own servers / buy server time, heavy competition and frequent sales driving down your profit, myriad of control devices to support, nevermind the always increasing list of screen sizes and hardware configurations.
Plus: Here’s another amazing statistic: DFC reports that their Top 20 list of PC games for 2013, in terms of usage, doesn’t include a single game actually released in 2013. Great incentive...

To use their own numbers, out of 900 million pc gamers 15 million buy Diablo 3 (februari 2014), a widely popular established franchise for which people have been waiting for years for a sequal and consequently the fastest selling pc game in history vs Tlou a new franchise with 80 million ps3 gamers sells 6 million. Nice cherry picking. Anyway Diablo 3 is coming to consoles, Tlou is staying right where it is. I hope you do realize a first party studio has a lot of advantages, both for the studio and for the console maker.

We’re becoming a society which favors the all-in-device. A society craving less clutter, less noise, less obstacles to get in the way of our entertainment.

Sorry but pc is the last thing I think about when that's mentioned.
Consoles are similar in architecture to the PC, they’re buggy like the PC, and they do a variety of things just like the PC. So why not just get a PC?
Cause they are cheaper, easier to install/use, definitely not as buggy.

Global PC game revenue might have surpassed that of consoles, yet that pie is shared by a lot more people.
And what about those AAA games, Watch dogs for example:
When divided by platform, the PS4 accounted for 36% of all sales, more than twice that of Xbox One or PS3 who both brought in 17%. PC only brought in 14%, although considering the broken state of Watch Dogs on that platform

How long should console makers keep fighting? As long as they make profit ofcourse.