By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Better developer: Atlus or Nippon Ichi?

This is just a little poll to see who everyone prefers. I didn't want to include Square-Enix because while I feel they make great games, I don't feel they innovate very much. Both Atlus and Nippon Ichi have similar goals, with Atlus innovating turn based RPGs and Nippon Ichi innovating turn based strategy RPGs. You make the pick. Here's a list to brush up on from the PS2 era to today:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

Developed by Atlus:

SMT: Persona series

SMT: Devil Summoner

SMT: Digital Devil Saga 1 & 2

SMT: Nocturne

Growlancer series

Bonus*Trauma Center series

Bonus*Maken X

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Developed by Nippon Ichi Software:

Disgaea series

La Pucelle: Tactics

Makai Kingdom

Phantom Brave

Soul Nomad & the World Eaters

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I personally think Nippon Ichi makes better RPGs, but not by much. Disgaea is like crack to me, and I'm really enjoying Soul Nomad & the World Eaters. Both have a great quality and each developer has a true identity you can see passed through to each of their games. I find Nippon Ichi to have more humorous storylines while Atlus takes a more controversial approach which is also real nice. So discuss who you like better and why. 

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

Around the Network

Atlus
Trauma Center > All

Atlus. As much as i love SRPGs (my favorite genre.) Nippon Ichi SRPGS are derivitive. They're all basically the same game with very few differences made between them... and they're always massive grind fests.

I have to give the nod to the SMT series, those are some crazy aswesome games, so my vote goes to Atlus.

Atlus for sure.

Nintendo still doomed?
Feel free to add me on 3DS or Switch! (PM me if you do ^-^)
Nintendo ID: Mako91                  3DS code: 4167-4543-6089

Around the Network

Atlus FTW!!!!

Atlus, just for Trauma Center. Nippon Ichi is a very talented developer. The problem is that all their games look the same, even though they are not part of the same series.

Satan said:

"You are for ever angry, all you care about is intelligence, but I repeat again that I would give away all this superstellar life, all the ranks and honours, simply to be transformed into the soul of a merchant's wife weighing eighteen stone and set candles at God's shrine."

ItsaMii said:
Atlus, just for Trauma Center. Nippon Ichi is a very talented developer. The problem is that all their games look the same, even though they are not part of the same series.

I kinda think they are. I mean they often use like... the same or at the very least REALLY similar designs and their characters are all secret characters in each others games.

To me every game of theirs is just on a different one of those "Infinite underworlds" or the occasional overworld as the case may be.

I mean Flonne is in Phantom Brave which seems the most different of NIS games story wise. 

It is really close. Overall Nippon Ichi, but Atlus has more games. Nippon Ichi generally has somewhat higher quality, although their games are somewhat derivative.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson