By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Is the PS4 Pulling a Wii??

Nirvana_Nut85 said:
OriginalGod said:
Nirvana_Nut85 said:

The 10 year plan is wishful thinking at best and so is 100mill sales. This is the first gen where Sony and M$ have released relatively weak hardware. Expect new consoles no later than 2019 (M$ will launch it's next system alongside Nintendo in 2018)

ROFl..no. MS is not launching a console in 2018.

Historically, the typical release between hardware iterations is 5-6 years. If the Xbox One continues it's trend of subpar sales and the PS4 pulls ahead even further, then yes, while continuing to support Xbone they will release a successor before Sony can. You also have to factor in that both companies have launched hardware that is at best mid tier in terms of today's standards. In 5 years both consoles will really begin to show their age.

Sony is never letting MS launch a full year ahead...it's never going to happen, it only happened with PS3 because blu-ray patents held it up. Launching too early  also will only damage the brand. You cannot just keep jumping early in a desperate attempt to be first. It's not happening.

Around the Network

Times are changing, I slighly agree with this.

PS4 will start selling near-as-before for a WHILE during the holidays, then continue to drop again.

X1 needs to start selling, and fast, though will get a big boost soon. Halo will be the MK8 to X1 imho.

Wii U is getting a turn-around and on par with X1 sales so far, but will Dominate the holidays. 2015 will be the real test of the NEW minimum weekly sales, continue 60K? or maybe at least 80K a week? we will see.

WhiteEaglePL said:
Times are changing.

No, they are not. PS4 will only grow the gap after the slow summer months and sales pick up, and ps4 will be cheap this gen like ps2 was, expect it to be below 200 in year 4, it was MADE specifically with quick price reductions in mind.  How are times changing? Based on 1 week in the slow summer months? LOL, people are very short sighted here.

According to a marketing book I've studied some time ago, I'd say while the ps4 will definetly last longer due to 3rd party support and stay #1 this gen, its sales curve will likely look closer to the Wii in a few years compared to 360 and Ps3.
360 and Ps3 are "tecnology pushed" products, they've introducted HD gaming.
They needed a more time to penetrate the matket since consumers had to learn the benefits of HD. On the plus side these kind of products tend to do better in their later stages and have a longer life cycle.
On the other hand Wii and Ps4 are "demand pulled" products. These products have the peculiarity to awnser an existing cosumer need or desire (which could be apparent or hidden), so they tend to have a great success on launch, to reach their prime very soon but than to also fade away much sooner.

OriginalGod said:
WhiteEaglePL said:
Times are changing.

No, they are not. PS4 will only grow the gap after the slow summer months and sales pick up, and ps4 will be cheap this gen like ps2 was, expect it to be below 200 in year 4, it was MADE specifically with quick price reductions in mind.  How are times changing? Based on 1 week in the slow summer months? LOL, people are very short sighted here.

I dont think you read the rest of my post then. See ya.

Around the Network
WhiteEaglePL said:
OriginalGod said:
WhiteEaglePL said:
Times are changing.

See ya, have fun. The third parties alone will push ps4 more way more the the couple exclusives coming to wii-u this fall, please.  Smash, bayo and toad won't do much for the hardware.

PS4 has consistently outsold both consoles month-by-month despite having a pretty meager lineup...and the PS4/XONE haven't even been on the market for 8 months, and they're somehow already losing their grip. NPD numbers have put the PS4 outselling both XBONE/WiiU collectively, and we all know how well Sony products sell in Europe, so it's a safe bet that the console will continue outselling their competitors there as well. Japan's console sales are irrevalent, as neither the PS4 nor WiiU are selling well there.

WhiteEaglePL said:
OriginalGod said:
WhiteEaglePL said:
Times are changing.

Do you really think Smash, Bayonetta, and Toad are going to push Wii U sales that much?

RepedeGoesWoof said:

PS4 has consistently outsold both consoles month-by-month despite having a pretty meager lineup...and the PS4/XONE haven't even been on the market for 8 months, and they're somehow already losing their grip. NPD numbers have put the PS4 outselling both XBONE/WiiU collectively, and we all know how well Sony products sell in Europe, so it's a safe bet that the console will continue outselling their competitors there as well. Japan's console sales are irrevalent, as neither the PS4 nor WiiU are selling well there.

WhiteEaglePL said:
OriginalGod said:
WhiteEaglePL said:
Times are changing.

Do you really think Smash, Bayonetta, and Toad are going to push Wii U sales that much?

You forgot Hyrule Warriors and Sonic Boom (ew..butwahever).

Yes....................... push to about 8.5-9m. by end of 2014.

But like I said, 2015 will show the new average weekly sales. 

WhiteEaglePL said:
RepedeGoesWoof said:

WhiteEaglePL said:
OriginalGod said:
WhiteEaglePL said:
Times are changing.

You forgot Hyrule Warriors and Sonic Boom (ew..butwahever).

Yes....................... push to about 8.5-9m. by end of 2014.

But like I said, 2015 will show the new average weekly sales. 

Non of those will move hardware either.

These annual summer doomsday articles are so cute.