By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Valve interested in developing for Wii

More money to be made from console games. Think of the money Valve has missed out on by not entering consoles earlier. Console games turn over lot more money than PC games. The budget of a console games is double that of a PC game.

Around the Network

Valve would claim to be interested in developing for an electrofied potato if they thought it'd be good press for them (or money).

DarkLord2008 said:
More money to be made from console games. Think of the money Valve has missed out on by not entering consoles earlier. Console games turn over lot more money than PC games. The budget of a console games is double that of a PC game.

I don't know. Valve seems to think that when making computer games a developer can make about 7 dollars per game. While on valve it's more like 30 dollars.

So it takes like... 4 console customers to equal 1 PC customer.

Seems like it'd be pointless to waste the effort on the Wii or PS3 when they could put those developers towards making more PC games.

I can't see console games having a lower margin, what with having to pay liscensing fees. 

TalonMan said:
Kasz216 said:
Eh eh said "If."

If i had to choose between getting punched in the stomach and kicked in the head i'd pick being punched in the stomach.

I'm not interested in being punched in the stomach... it's just more preferable.

I think it was more a statement just to emphasize how much they plan to not make a PS3 game.

Hey hope i'm wrong though.

I don't think you're being reasonable with your context. Yes, he said 'if', but he certainly didn't put it in terms of 'if somebody put a gun to my head and told me to choose one!' - he backed it up with 'It’s growing, there’s already a huge user-base, and it’s fun.' That tells me he's taken more than a cursory look at the Wii - he's already tried it and analyzed the size of their userbase...

I'll grant it's an exagerated example, my basic point is... it didn't seem like they showed iterest so much to say that if they did decide on doing another console it would be Wii and not PS3.

Basically, i don't think they have anything currently in the works... nor that it is probably in there plans.  Just an option that they would likely take should they deicde to diversify.

PC Games are generally easier to port to the XBox 360 rather than port PC to PS3. Why is that? Can someone tell me.
I thought it would be the same porting PC to XBox 360 and PC to PS3.

Around the Network

I just want to know if theres a studio thats like "yeah F*** Wii we're not developing anything for that POS"

Note that I'm joking

"Back off, man. I'm a scientist."

Your theories are the worst kind of popular tripe, your methods are sloppy, and your conclusions are highly questionable! You are a poor scientist. Especially if you think the moon landing was faked.

ioi + 1
DarkLord2008 said:
PC Games are generally easier to port to the XBox 360 rather than port PC to PS3. Why is that? Can someone tell me.
I thought it would be the same porting PC to XBox 360 and PC to PS3.

It's very simple : both Windows and XB360 use the same proprietary and closed API developed by MS, which is DirectX.

All other consoles use mixes of OpenGL and other things, mostly Free (not freeware) tools like GCC and the like. OpenGL is a standard, usable by anyone, without huge fees, and there are even Free (again, these are NOT freewares) implementations.

The "destroying console gaming" thing from MS goes with imposing DirectX on everyone. They control DirectX and it's a black box, thus why porting anything from DirectX is very hard, as they won't disclose anything on how it's done. Fortunately, they're not in the lead with their console, so for now their plan has failed, thanks to the Wii.

kenzomatic said:
I just want to know if theres a studio thats like "yeah F*** Wii we're not developing anything for that POS"

Note that I'm joking

Sony and Microsoft perhaps...

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

kenzomatic said:

Note that I'm joking

Didn't Epic say something like that?

RE4 and RE:UC and their million+ sales each are rock solid proof that Wii owners have a passion for slaying zombies.

"I mean, c'mon, Viva Pinata, a game with massive marketing, didn't sell worth a damn to the "sophisticated" 360 audience, despite near-universal praise--is that a sign that 360 owners are a bunch of casual ignoramuses that can't get their heads around a 'gardening' sim? Of course not. So let's please stop trying to micro-analyze one game out of hundreds and using it as the poster child for why good, non-1st party, games can't sell on Wii. (Everyone frequenting this site knows this is nonsense, and yet some of you just can't let it go because it's the only scab you have left to pick at after all your other "Wii will phail1!!1" straw men arguments have been put to the torch.)" - exindguy on Boom Blocks