By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Anyone else tired of the "indie boom"?

curl-6 sai

Even the so-called "great" Indie games are mostly rubbish I found; Fez, Braid, Limbo, Cave Story, Minecraft, Super Meat Boy...

Sure, every now and then you find a gem in the avalanche of turds, but they're so rare it's hardly worth looking for the when proper games offer far less turds per gem. But that's just me.

I guess "Rubbish" is the in thing these days and you have just been left behind.

Minecraft, even years after release is the real deal these days. 55M+ and still going. Likely to eventually become the greatest selling game of all time and not only that, but it will do it without bundling.

That says enough.

For the record, I love Minecraft. So does my 5-year old daugher and my 8 & 10-year old nephews.

Get with the times pal.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Around the Network
Wright said:

Why people assume mid-tier AA games can't be indie too?

Due to the fact that some are so absorbed in hatred for no reason at all that they fail to realize that "Indie" just means the developer is independant and not tied to a large corporation like MS, Sony or Nintendo.

They just think Indie = Candy Crush. Don't get me wrong, people here also seem to hate games like that, but the masses tell them that their opinion means nothing. More people like Candy Crush these days than Mario, Halo or God of War.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Euphoria14 said:
Wright said:

Due to the fact that some are so absorbed in hatred for no reason at all that they fail to realize that "Indie" just means the developer is independant and not tied to a large corporation like MS, Sony or Nintendo.

They just think Indie = Candy Crush. Don't get me wrong, people here also seem to hate games like that, but the masses tell them that their opinion means nothing. More people like Candy Crush these days than Mario, Halo or God of War.

The irony being, Candy Crush Saga is not indie. King.com shares are traded on the New York Stock Exchange XD That is the very opposite of indie XD

All hail AAA Candy Crush Saga :D

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

fps_d0minat0r said:

So assuming PS3 had no indie games, you think we wouldnt get 2 AAA's?

lower budget game =/= diversity.

I dont think it, I know it and I will use this post to show you why we arent losing out on AAA high budget games because of indie titles. Thats like saying the vita doesnt sell and PS3 is last gen so if we didnt get PS3 games and vita games we would just get 7 PS4 games a month which is ludicrous. There is no precedent to what youre complainign about. You would have a somewhat arguable stance if we had multiple AAA games and then all of a sudden the "indie boom" came and they were taken away. PSPlus has done nothing but add highly rated high budget games more frequently as time has gone on. It took nearly a full year to get the first non downloadable game to PSPlus so if we actually use facts your argument looks even more ridiculous. As Indies have been introduced we have seen more frequent, higher rated games coming to PSPlus, not a decreased amount.

If we use E3 2013 as the "playstation indie boom" we see: Deus Ex, LBPKarting, Uncharted 3, Hitman, Kingdoms of Amalur, Grid 2, Borderlands 2, DMC, Bioshock Infinite, Metro last light, Payday 2, Tomb Raider, Batman Arkham City, Castle of Illusion, Pro Evo 2014, Sly Cooper, Puppeteer, NBA2k14 and Dead Space 3

All of the above in 1 year

Pror to this "indie boom that took away am ma gamez" we had: sleeping dogs, demons souls, darksiders, bioshock 2, Payday 1, borderlands, LBP2, Infamous 2, Saints row 2, Just cause 2,  far cry 2, tomb raider, underworld, warhammer, ratchet and clank all 4 one

All of these titles in the span of the previous 3 years, with literally 6 of them coinciding with E3 2012 as a special promotion of summer and Infamous 2, LBP2 and Ratchet and Clank all 4 one lasting 7 days.

Diversity = variety. Monetary production value has no relevence to variety. Youre literally complaining about being given extra things as an option. Its quite ridiculous. Especially considering we have received arguably better quality games in the last year than the previous 3 combined and factually more games in the last year that are boxed "high production" games than the previous 3 years combined.

Again, you literally have no valid point to any of your arguments. In fact when PSPlus came out it originally including vast amounts of PSMini games. Remember those? Maybe not, we stopped gettign them with PSPlus in 2012 right about when we STARTED getting high budget games. Which is the exact opposite thing youre arguing.

MikeRox said:
Euphoria14 said:
Wright said:

The irony being, Candy Crush Saga is not indie. King.com shares are traded on the New York Stock Exchange XD That is the very opposite of indie XD

I believe CCS is still developed and published by King, making them independant, even though they went public?

Not 100% sure how it works when you go public like that.

EIther way no biggie. I love mobile games. Haters on VGC be damned. One day their games will be on my iPhone and they will either join me or give up gaming.

Either way I will win.

Currently playing:

Around the Network

I am tired of the shooter phase that has been going on the last few years and the so called yearly releases of the unfinished AAA games.

Euphoria14 said:
MikeRox said:
Euphoria14 said:
Wright said:

I believe CCS is still developed and published by King, making them independant, even though they went public?

Not 100% sure how it works when you go public like that.

EIther way no biggie. I love mobile games. Haters on VGC be damned. One day their games will be on my iPhone and they will either join me or give up gaming.

Either way I will win.

EA Games, Ubisoft etc are all not tied to large corporations.

This is why threads like this are interesting. Everybody has a different idea of what an indie game is. Is it a game with crappy graphics? A game made by a lone person in their free time? My understanding is it's a game made by a developer with nobody to answer to (whether it's 1 person, or 30) that would make them independant.

Having shareholders stops you being independent as you are accountable to your shareholders and so EA, Ubi, King etc are not independant. Same as 1st party studios aren't independant.

However is a game developed by an independent studio, but funded as a job by a manufacturer or major publisher indie? (So Child of Light and any number of the high profile exclusive "indie" games fit into this genre).

I actually think it's definitely to formally coin "indie" for a game now, aside from games where it's been made by a single dev or 2 friends in their spare time.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

Never was on the indie bandwagon. I just buy very few of them. I prefer mid - AAA overall more but they are quite risky for devs compared to indie so

Smartest nam evila

Current Platforms: HighendPC[rip]/PS4/PS3[rip]/Vita[rip]

MikeRox said:

EA Games, Ubisoft etc are all not tied to large corporations.

This is why threads like this are interesting. Everybody has a different idea of what an indie game is. Is it a game with crappy graphics? A game made by a lone person in their free time? My understanding is it's a game made by a developer with nobody to answer to (whether it's 1 person, or 30) that would make them independant.

Having shareholders stops you being independent as you are accountable to your shareholders and so EA, Ubi, King etc are not independant. Same as 1st party studios aren't independant.

However is a game developed by an independent studio, but funded as a job by a manufacturer or major publisher indie? (So Child of Light and any number of the high profile exclusive "indie" games fit into this genre).

I actually think it's definitely to formally coin "indie" for a game now, aside from games where it's been made by a single dev or 2 friends in their spare time.

Awesome. So people hate some "Indie" games when they are not in fact Indie? 

I love it, as it just shows people hate without thinking.

Can't wait to see the tune they sing when their favorite titles go to my iPhone. 

Currently playing:

Euphoria14 said:
curl-6 sai

Even the so-called "great" Indie games are mostly rubbish I found; Fez, Braid, Limbo, Cave Story, Minecraft, Super Meat Boy...

Sure, every now and then you find a gem in the avalanche of turds, but they're so rare it's hardly worth looking for the when proper games offer far less turds per gem. But that's just me.

I guess "Rubbish" is the in thing these days and you have just been left behind.

Minecraft, even years after release is the real deal these days. 55M+ and still going. Likely to eventually become the greatest selling game of all time and not only that, but it will do it without bundling.

That says enough.

For the record, I love Minecraft. So does my 5-year old daugher and my 8 & 10-year old nephews.

Get with the times pal.

Justin Beiber, Twilight, and McDonalds also sell boatloads, doesn't mean they're not rubbish.

And I don't have to "get with the times", because thankfully indies have not replaced proper games.