By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Anyone else tired of the "indie boom"?

bubblegamer said:
mornelithe said:
bubblegamer said:
mornelithe said:
KLXVER said:

Most of those were just a part of a big company...

You only asked for 10, I'm sure if you look through them you'll find 10 that satisfy your requirements.  This is simply an easy list to use.  And being part of a larger parent company doesn't mean the dev team wasn't large.  It just means they were an owned studio that either went bankrupt or got shut down.

The requirement was studios that made AAA games. Which great games did these companies make?

You have the internet, and a list of all the studios.  I suggest you solve for X.

No need to, with names like Visceral Australia, Eidos Hungary and MTV games i know enough. Industry is dying alright! The people saying this are sad their beloved console is performing terribly and can't face the truth.

AAA game just like indie can succeed and can fail not all indies games would sold like Angry Bird if a studios has a good expectation of how the game will do it will not make them lose money Activision will spend  500 millions not because they need to spend all these money but because they know the games will sold very well there many new AAA games who sold well like Watch dog and The last of us

PS4 - over 100 millions let's say 120m
Xbox One - 70m
Wii U - 25m

Vita - 15m if it will not get Final Fantasy Kingdoms Heart and Monster Hunter 20m otherwise
3DS - 80m

Around the Network
BraveNewWorld said:

I'm tired of pretentious and boring interactive media that boring and pretentious people try to pass off as games.

Video Game

a form of play or sport, especially a competitive one played according to rules and decided by skill, strength, or luck. video game is an electronic game that involves human interaction with a user interface to generate visual feedback on a video device.

The likes of Journey and Flower are games.

Fixed.

Buy what you like and ignore what you don't.

Problem solved.

No need for threads and rants and opinion pieces. At all.

Richard_Feynman said:

Problem solved.

Shocking logic ;) Agree.

Richard_Feynman said:

Problem solved.

Yes, but if we thought that way, how would we explain the fact that some consoles are selling so bad? We must ignore logic.

Around the Network

No, the market was oversaturated with games 60 € or $ in consoles, and 45 in hanhelds. If someone bought a game per month, it would have spent 720 € $/ year in consoles, plus machine plus controllers or other accesories, plus online if you used a PS360, plus DLC and expansions... Granted if you bought on Steam or other digital service you could buy cheaper games, but you need to spend a lot on computer hardware. That is a lot of money. Indie games are succesful because they are priced way more competitively than other AAA games, plus their costs are much less than others and because they usually don't need much specs to work, can appear on every platform possible. If they cam provide the same experiences than AAA (in a time when AAA became really expensive to produce and a lot of companies are suffering because of it), i see no reason why Indies can thrive in the gaing market. Plus we need indies to compete with the main developers (Minecraft is the new Tetris, and wins more money than whole companies).

On the other hand free to play games are different. If they are not abusive like pay to win or pay to continue (timewalls), the number of players in there and easy access guarantees to attract a big number of customers, and some of those will suppport the game.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

KLXVER said:
Yeah, I agree 100%. For every brilliant indie game theres 200 shitty ones.

This is basically my opinion as well.

nice

Indies make many of the games I want to play. They aren't all great by any means but that's true of games with a far bigger budget.

Big budget games all seems to circle around the similar types of experience. Indies enrich the video game landscape.

Darwinianevolution said:

No, the market was oversaturated with games 60 € or $ in consoles, and 45 in hanhelds. If someone bought a game per month, it would have spent 720 € $/ year in consoles, plus machine plus controllers or other accesories, plus online if you used a PS360, plus DLC and expansions... Granted if you bought on Steam or other digital service you could buy cheaper games, but you need to spend a lot on computer hardware. That is a lot of money. Indie games are succesful because they are priced way more competitively than other AAA games, plus their costs are much less than others and because they usually don't need much specs to work, can appear on every platform possible. If they cam provide the same experiences than AAA (in a time when AAA became really expensive to produce and a lot of companies are suffering because of it), i see no reason why Indies can thrive in the gaing market. Plus we need indies to compete with the main developers (Minecraft is the new Tetris, and wins more money than whole companies).

On the other hand free to play games are different. If they are not abusive like pay to win or pay to continue (timewalls), the number of players in there and easy access guarantees to attract a big number of customers, and some of those will suppport the game.

I would rather buy a 60$ games with great gameplay graphics then paying 15$ for a basic indie game

PS4 - over 100 millions let's say 120m
Xbox One - 70m
Wii U - 25m

Vita - 15m if it will not get Final Fantasy Kingdoms Heart and Monster Hunter 20m otherwise
3DS - 80m

bubblegamer said:
Richard_Feynman said:

Problem solved.

Yes, but if we thought that way, how would we explain the fact that some consoles are selling so bad? We must ignore logic.

I cannot understand what you are trying to say.