By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Anyone else tired of the "indie boom"?

mornelithe said:
KLXVER said:

Most of those were just a part of a big company...

You only asked for 10, I'm sure if you look through them you'll find 10 that satisfy your requirements.  This is simply an easy list to use.  And being part of a larger parent company doesn't mean the dev team wasn't large.  It just means they were an owned studio that either went bankrupt or got shut down.

The requirement was studios that made AAA games. Which great games did these companies make?

Around the Network

indies >>> the AAA yearly rehashes

Am I tired of creative and/or retro inspired, FUN, high quality little games I can download, many of which that have FAR more value for the money than most "AAA" titles you could buy today?

Fuck no, is the only correct answer.

bubblegamer said:
mornelithe said:
KLXVER said:

You only asked for 10, I'm sure if you look through them you'll find 10 that satisfy your requirements.  This is simply an easy list to use.  And being part of a larger parent company doesn't mean the dev team wasn't large.  It just means they were an owned studio that either went bankrupt or got shut down.

The requirement was studios that made AAA games. Which great games did these companies make?

You have the internet, and a list of all the studios.  I suggest you solve for X.

mornelithe said:
KLXVER said:

Ok. I found THQ, Eidos, Hudson and Midway...

Around the Network
mornelithe said:
bubblegamer said:
mornelithe said:
KLXVER said:

You have the internet, and a list of all the studios.  I suggest you solve for X.

No need to, with names like Visceral Australia, Eidos Hungary and MTV games i know enough. Industry is dying alright! The people saying this are sad their beloved console is performing terribly and can't face the truth.

bubblegamer said:

No need to, with names like Visceral Australia, Eidos Hungary and MTV games i know enough. Industry is dying alright! The people saying this are sad their beloved console is performing terribly and can't face the truth.

Yeah, my PS3 and PC are really suffering.

mornelithe said:
bubblegamer said:

Yeah, my PS3 and PC are really suffering.

Don't see many Sony fans saying the industry is dead. PC is not a console.

I'm tired of pretentious and boring interactive media that boring and pretentious people try to pass off as games.

Game

a form of play or sport, especially a competitive one played according to rules and decided by skill, strength, or luck.

The likes of Journey and Flower aren't games.

"On my business card I am a corporate president. In my mind I am a game developer. But in my heart I am a gamer." - Satoru Iwata

bubblegamer said:

Don't see many Sony fans saying the industry is dead. PC is not a console.

This much is true, however, I don't really see the industry as dying so much as I see the emergence of a ton of new blood via Indie games getting more attention.  I don't see how it's a bad thing, other than making people actually take a tad more time researching games, before they make a purchase.  Which isn't actually a bad thing, people should always be putting at least a modicum of effort into researching their purchases.