By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Has Sony abandoned Japan?

There probably waiting for Square Enix or Capcom to bring the console the big sales.

This is the Game of Thrones

Where you either win

or you DIE

Around the Network

I want you see my prediction:
http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=185860&page=1

Japanese devs prioritize handhelds over consoles and even those are a dying market. Why should Sony waste money now advertising when most AAA games tailored for the region won't arrive till next year

Tamron said:
VanceIX said:

Just gonna post this again

VanceIX said:

1. And you know why Japan has abandoned home consoles? Because both Sony and Nintendo have completely botched this gen and to a much smaller extent last gen. Sony and Nintendo have always been Japan first, rest of the world second, and the Japanese took great pride in their companies. With Sony devoting almost all their resources to the west for the PS4, even delaying the Japanese release by almost half a year, it's no surprise that the Japanese feel that console gaming has moved on from them. And don't tell me that the Wii U showed that the console market was dead already, the Wii U flopped everywhere, not just Japan.

Sony released a boatload of mediocre games on the PS3 and Vita with niche support from third-party devs, resulting in the Japanese just losing interest. While Sony was busy devoting the most funding to shooters like Uncharted or Killzone or Last of Us, the Japanese got little known games like the White Knight Chronicles from Sony, absolutely nothing compared to Rogue Galaxy or Legend of Dragoon or ICO or Shadow of the Collosus. Even major third-party devs fucked up by releasing mediocre games on the PS3. SE released three half-baked Final Fantasys in a row, and didn't even bother with Kingdom Hearts 3. It's no wonder the Japanese got fed up with the market.

2. Sure, they'll dominate, but they won't reach near the level of success that the PS2 did. Japan was a major facillitator for both the PS2 and PS3, and no Sony has turned their backs on them.

1) Sorry, no, the vita, wii and ps3 all have heavy third party support in Japan, the success of a console does not hinge on how many games the consoles manufacturer make themselves, despite this heavy support and plentiful supply of games, sales have steadily decreased and gaming as a whole here is rapidly on the decline, arcades, the last bastion of gaming mecca, are also declining here with space that once housed arcade games replaced with photo booths and gambling machines, ufo catchers etc, the reason for this is squarely the high concentration of Japanese gamers being both satisfied and complacent with gaming on mobile devices, adverts for mobile games are shown on TV here virtually tenfold the frequency of console or handheld games.

Was it a good descision for sony?, yes, yes it was.

PS3 sales JP/US/EU

2013 - 877k  - 2.23m - 3.33m
2012 - 1.23m - 3.48m - 5m
2011 - 1.52m - 4.48m - 5.97m
2010 - 1.55m - 4.73m - 5.14m
2009 - 1.88m - 4.25m - 4.75m
2008 - 1.06m - 3.54m - 4.15m
2007 - 1.21m - 2.42m - 3.39m
2006 - 472k  - 667k  - N/A

Totals - 9.79m - 25.8m - 31.73m

Sales in the US were 2.5x that of Japan, and over 3x that of japan in the EU, focus on US and EU instead of Japan and what you end up with is clost to six times the hardware sales.

Consider this, sales in just 2011, 2010 or 2009 in EU and US, any one of those years, sold more in just one year than they sold in Japan for SEVEN years, alternatively, 2009 to 2010 in US sold more than 2006 - 2013 in japan, as did EU. Japan is insignificant now, and you can't blame all that on "sony and nintendo abandoning Japan" they shifted focus away from japan BECAUSE of this. Believe it or not, the sole purpose of a company is to make money, who would have thought?

It is realizing this shift in attitudes in their homeland that pushed Sony and Nintendo to focus more on the US and EU markets, not the other way around.

2) Don't compare 2014 sales to early 2000 sales, least not just on principal of the entire economy and taxing situation across the globe being completely different, thats before you even consider the impact of smartphones - tell me good sir, how many apps did you have on your smartphone in 2002? wait whats that now, you didnt have a smartphone in 2002?, they didnt exist? oh..       

1. Japan is a smaller population, what were you expecting? Japan has always bought more units than their population would indicate, until recent years.

Did I say third-party devs abandoned the PS3? Where, please, did I say this? Third-party games alone will NEVER sell a console by itself, especially when most of those third-party games are relatively low-budget, niche games. It is up to the first-party devs to make quality content, and Sony couldn't do that. Period. They couldn't build up interest in their system by releasing quality games. If the west never got Uncharted, Infamous, Halo, Resistance, Fable, Gears of War, etc., I'm sure a lot of us would have moved on from console gaming.

What you're not getting is that there is a reason the Japanese buy more PS3s than PS4s, even now. Sony hasn't released any good content on the PS4 for Japan. They ignored Japan for the most part with the PS3 and still got a decent amount of sales from them. Japan isn't making the same mistake again.

2. And why the hell not? The US has smartphones. Europe has smartphones. The console in dustry is doing just fine in those countries.

Look, there is a reason smartphones replaced consoles. And it's because consoles didn't have nearly enough quality content to be economical.

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

How? How about that FFXIII is just one game. It's not that we're totally without interest, but the west cares a lot more about WRPGs, not JRPGs. Cold, hard truth. Skyrim sold 17 million copies, not including digital. The entire Final Fantasy XIII trilogy on both systems sold about 11.5 million. Trust me, I wish I could say the west is still interested in JRPGs. They're my favorite genre, and I live in the west. But it just isn't so. The genre is on a massive decline. It hurts, I know, but it's the truth. The genre isn't dead or anything, but it's dwindled in popularity enough that 1st party is supporting it less, and 3rd party entries are fairly scarce too, compared to the SNES and PS eras.

It's very much alive and no where near a niche genre quite yet, but I can't argue that it has lost traction in the west to WRPGs. I would say that's just because those WRPGs are flat out better, though. The JRPGs last gen all paled in comparison to Skyrim in terms of gameplay, with little to no real innovation. Square Enix, the people who have always been at the forefront of the JRPG genre and almost single-handedly responsible for any of the genre's success in the west, released an absolute disappointment with Final Fantasy XIII, and continued it by making it a trilogy with each game getting progressively worse. Not only that, but they were a no-show for arguably the most anticipated JRPG (Kingdom Hearts III), and they moved towards pushing western games like Tomb Raider and Thief rather than put most of their focus on Japanese titles.

Yep.  It's not that Japanese games suck, it's that many Japanese developers are simply sucking.  They just can't seem to grasp how to effectively control an HD budget and release these mega-games in a timely fashion.

Though there is some hope.  All these studios need to do is follow the likes of From Software and Kojima Productions.  They don't follow genres, they create them!

Prediction for console Lifetime sales:

Wii:100-120 million, PS3:80-110 million, 360:70-100 million

[Prediction Made 11/5/2009]

3DS: 65m, PSV: 22m, Wii U: 18-22m, PS4: 80-120m, X1: 35-55m

I gauruntee the PS5 comes out after only 5-6 years after the launch of the PS4.

[Prediction Made 6/18/2014]

Around the Network
SjOne said:
Japanese devs prioritize handhelds over consoles and even those are a dying market. Why should Sony waste money now advertising when most AAA games tailored for the region won't arrive till next year

Exactly my point.

Prediction for console Lifetime sales:

Wii:100-120 million, PS3:80-110 million, 360:70-100 million

[Prediction Made 11/5/2009]

3DS: 65m, PSV: 22m, Wii U: 18-22m, PS4: 80-120m, X1: 35-55m

I gauruntee the PS5 comes out after only 5-6 years after the launch of the PS4.

[Prediction Made 6/18/2014]

VanceIX said:

They focus completely on western games, most of which are your copy-and-paste Zombie or shooter or zombie shooter, with little to no JRPGs and other Japanese games that they built their legacy on.

I didn't know God Of War, Gran Turismo, Infamous, LittleBigPlanet etc were zombie shooters. Actually Sony hasn't had a single Zombie shooter as far as I remember besides The Last Of Us.

People in japan tend to buy handhelds because they are always busy and want to play on the go during rush hour

Ucell said:

VanceIX said:

They focus completely on western games, most of which are your copy-and-paste Zombie or shooter or zombie shooter, with little to no JRPGs and other Japanese games that they built their legacy on.

I didn't know God Of War, Gran Turismo, Infamous, LittleBigPlanet etc were zombie shooters. Actually Sony hasn't had a single Zombie shooter as far as I remember besides The Last Of Us.

They may not develop exclusively zombie shooters, but they push the zombie genre nauseatingly too much. They have The Last of Us, a Last of Us remastered just a year after it was released, an intevitable Last of Us 2, their upcoming zombie MMO H1Z1, and a huge brocrush for other zombie games like Dead Island. 

"Who doesn't like zombies?"- Sony E3 2014

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

Eddie_Raja said:
SjOne said:

Exactly my point.

Japanese devs are starting to prioritize mobile platforms over handhelds.

In a few years handhelds will be what console sales are now.