By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Microsoft: "We're Going to Try to Win That Core Gamer"

pokoko said:
MoHasanie said:
pokoko said:
Sure, but why did it take them so long to figure that out?

Maybe they were expecting the casuals to buy loads of X1s for the kinect. 

The problem there is that Kinect 1.0 sales had already fallen off a cliff long since.  If they'd had some really compelling Kinect software lined up for launch, maybe I could see some logic to their approach, but ... well, we know what happened with that.

The really puzzling thing is that they seeming ignored the core gamer, not for the casual gamer, but for the person who wanted to watch a lot of television and couldn't be bothered to use a remote.

I think that really compelling Kinect software was supposed to be Ryse: Son of Rome but ... well, we know what happened with that.

Around the Network

Can't disagree with their approach. "Core" gamers are the backbone of the industry

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

If this is the core gamer according to NPD there are only 20 million left.

pokoko said:

The really puzzling thing is that they seeming ignored the core gamer, not for the casual gamer, but for the person who wanted to watch a lot of television and couldn't be bothered to use a remote.

Yeah I have no idea what they were thinking with that. I guess they were getting greedy and thought they could make a machine that can appeal to every sort of person. 

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

What even is a core gamer anyway?

Current Consoles: Gaming PC, Wii U, 3DS

Around the Network

Translation: Sony has been going for the core gamer since Feb 2013 and it's working for them so we'll do it too!

Innovators/Early adaptors (I guess what people call hardcore/core gamers in this industry) statistically compose around more or less 20% of the total market and, while composing only a minor percent of the total market, these early consumers are known to exert a high influence over the majority market in their purchasing choices. Anyone with the most basic of marketing knowhow will know that it is the influence these early adaptors have which is why creating an early market leadership position is so important. Not the direct "feedback". They should have gotten that from the FGD studies prior to the release of their product.

Gotta love the whole M$ feel-good spin on why they are targeting core gamers, tho.

Tho, to be fair, using this initiative to try and win back market goodwill as well as a means of "smoothening" in future updates that normally may or may not have a negative impact on their brand image (Change Management 101, people are more likely to go along with any hard changes you have to do, even the negative ones, for as long as you give them even the illusion of participation in the decision making process) is actually a damned good idea.

Ps4 won the core gamer over

VITA 32 GIG CARD.250 GIG SLIM & 160 GIG PHAT PS3

TheKoreanGuy said:

I think that really compelling Kinect software was supposed to be Ryse: Son of Rome but ... well, we know what happened with that.

Probably a smart move though.  Motion-controlled games + that audience don't seem to go well.  Stuff like Fable: The Journey & Sorcery which were aimed at it were sales disasters.

MoHasanie said:

Then what will Nintendo get?? 

The Handheld market. And I guess they can have the two NFC figurine fans out there as well.