By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
fkusumot said:
stof said:
But do they believe the lunar landing was a hoax?

Some people are gullible and easy marks for the theory that it wasn't a hoax.

Good one Stof.

I steered clear of that topic, because I saw the special on the "hoax" on the discovery channel the other night, so I already know the answer. Didn't wanna ruin it for everybody.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Around the Network

Personaly i think that this is all due to the history education that we recieve in the UK, everything is fine appart from history, we dont learn anything about our own countries history until we get to A-level at which point most pupils have dropped it (including myself) not that i dont know any of the above ;)

Thatmax said:
Personaly i think that this is all due to the history education that we recieve in the UK, everything is fine appart from history, we dont learn anything about our own countries history until we get to A-level at which point most pupils have dropped it (including myself) not that i dont know any of the above ;)

I can agree with that for the most part. The only British History I was really taught before my GCSE's was World War II and lots about Henry VIII. Since then, I've learnt about 20th century America and their foreign policy and Britain's industrial revolution.

Not until my A Levels did I begin to learn any European history in the form of Italian Unification and Serfdom in Russia along with several other subjects like the Napoleonic Wars and the Congress System.

There's one big difference though, I was not taught a lot of what I know in school. Much I gained from my parents AND to be honest a lot of it is just common knowledge/common sense.

Although I believe this survey shows a disturbing trend, those who want to learn History can and it provides a lot of information. I've always found it quite funny that I would know more about American history than perhaps many Americans would but that's why I took it, it interests me.

There is always a chance that this survey is misleading though, isn't it always the case that only bad polls get publicised because that are meant to shock?

konnichiwa said:
The survey found that 47 percent thought the 12th century English king Richard the Lionheart was a myth.

Never have heard about him..

Really?  He's a pretty famous english King.  I learned about him in like... the 5th grade.  Though granted i believe that was self study.

Old.  This was posted like a month ago.

Around the Network

^ then why did you bump it

"Back off, man. I'm a scientist."

Your theories are the worst kind of popular tripe, your methods are sloppy, and your conclusions are highly questionable! You are a poor scientist. Especially if you think the moon landing was faked.

ioi + 1