By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Believes Third Party Developers Will Come Back To The Wii U If Sales Increase

Will they ever return?

Yes, because of the money 71 67.62%

No because Wii U is too weak!!! 34 32.38%

Total:105

Nintendo of America Senior Director of Communication Charlie Scibett is confident that third-party developers will return to the Wii U if console sales eventually rise. Scibett says the developers want the same thing as Nintendo, and that’s to see the install base grow.

“We want the same thing that the third parties want, which is to grow the installed base. We’re confident that if we can do that by driving the installed base through first-party software, like Mario Kart 8, like Super Smash Bros., then the third-party developers will follow because then they’ll see there’s a large enough installed base that it’s worth their investment to bring their games to our platform. So it’s our job to grow that installed base to make it more attractive for them to come to our platform.”

“Scibetta wouldn’t be tied down to a prediction for how many more sales the Wii U needed before it was a more attractive platform for third-party publishers, saying that “each publisher might give you a different answer on that.” Sure enough, the publishers willing to talk on the record gave noncommittal but hopeful answers on the subject of future Wii U support.”

“We think that by releasing good games from fan favorite brands, like Mario Kart, Nintendo is taking steps to increase the Wii U’s adoption,” an Ubisoft spokesperson told Ars. “We have games coming out for the Wii U this year, including Just Dance 2015 and Watch Dogs. For any other games we announced at E3, it’s too soon to say.”

http://mynintendonews.com/2014/06/19/nintendo-believes-third-party-developers-will-come-back-to-the-wii-u-if-sales-increase/

Around the Network

Lol. The only thing that will bring third parties to Wii U would be financial pain. I mean this gen so far has been very weak. Even the market leading PS4 isn't doing great numbers. Its just the competition is doing even worse.

Then again, Thirds were going through financial pain last gen and still shunned the market leader so, who knows.

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

Arius Dion said:
Lol. The only thing that will bring third parties to Wii U would be financial pain. I mean this gen so far has been very weak. Even the market leading PS4 isn't doing great numbers. Its just the competition is doing even worse.

Then again, Thirds were going through financial pain last gen and still shunned the market leader so, who knows.

No one can diasagree to how bad the market is. PS4 is selling around 150k a week. This includes holiday season as the average goes up a littlw but without the holidays it will be more towards 110k. It js going to take the PS4 a little over 10 years to reach what PS3 did in 8 years. What makes it bad is that the PS3 was selling horrible the first year or so.

Rockstar, Square, no.
Ubisoft, EA, Activision, Capcom yes.

(Warner Bros: Maybe... :-/ )

Don't expect the same games going to PS4 / XBO to go to WiiU unless those games continue to go to PS3 / X360.

Any 3rd party support the WiiU gets, will not be the kind core gamers largely playing on PS4 / XBO will care about, or they would rather play those games on PS4 / XBO.

Nintendo WiiU only owners should stop being delusional about their 3rd party support expectations and just pick either PS4 or XBO or both for the 3rd party games, and be happy with the Nintendo games they get on the WiiU.

Around the Network
cusman said:

Don't expect the same games going to PS4 / XBO to go to WiiU unless those games continue to go to PS3 / X360.

Any 3rd party support the WiiU gets, will not be the kind core gamers largely playing on PS4 / XBO will care about, or they would rather play those games on PS4 / XBO.

Nintendo WiiU only owners should stop being delusional about their 3rd party support expectations and just pick either PS4 or XBO or both for the 3rd party games, and be happy with the Nintendo games they get on the WiiU.

Now if the Wii U continues to sell well then developers will follow the money. When is the last time you heard someone get FIFA or Madden on the Wii? I havent heard anyone say that but EA continues to support the Wii because of the install base. 

I expect Ubi to continue the Rayman series and make it for Wii U as well because Wii U version sold a decent percentage compared to the larger install base of the Xb360 and PS3. The consoles that have around a 12 time larger install base.

Well ubisoft already said they would.

But if EA comes back I guarantee they do something stupid get mad at Nintendo for their own faults then quit again.

Like releasing only mass effect 3 on Wii u instead of the whole trilogy.

Consoles: 3DS, Wii U, and Vita soon. Super Paper Mario fan.

people need to start making sure that AT LEAST 1/4 or 1/3 of games for their Nintendo platform are 3rd party.....

Seems like common sense.  

drake_tolu said:

Rockstar, Square, no.
Ubisoft, EA, Activision, Capcom yes.

(Warner Bros: Maybe... :-/ )

Eh I could see Rockstar maybe bring Bully 2 to Wii U or something along those lines. I still have some hope that we will get an announcement from Square that KH3 and FFWhatEverNumberWeAreOnNow will be coming to Wii U. 

Warner Brother is just bringing the safe titles to Wii U ie The Lego games.

"I think it will be the HDS"-Me in regards to Nintendo's next handheld.