By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - PSA: Dedicated Servers is the new Cloud

The Cloud Dedicated Servers

"The Cloud" is now outdated, MS replaced it with "Dedicated Servers" which is more realistic and grounded imo.

Stay frosty folks.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Around the Network

Same thing, different name.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Tv, tv, tv, dedicated servers, tv, tv, tv, tv, dedicated servers, dogs, tv, tv, tv, Halo, tv, tv, tv, fish that move out of the way.

I think it was already post http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=185353&page=1#4

Just put enough dedicated servers into place and there you go, a private cloud. Simple as that.

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

Around the Network
KylieDog said:
Faxanadu said:
Just put enough dedicated servers into place and there you go, a private cloud. Simple as that.

Cloud based dedicated servers don't quite work like that.

so how do they work?

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

Isn't that something different though. Cloud = general purpose computing != dedicated server. I guess you can have virtual dedicated servers.

Seems the cloud buzzword has too much bullshit hanging onto it, so now it's dedicated servers, sounds better. Still the same distributed computing platform I assume, simulating scale-able virtual dedicated servers. Better than dedicated servers is some ways, worse in others.

EpicRandy said:
I think it was already post http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=185353&page=1#4

and yet people still don't get it. Still making the mistake of calling it the cloud

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

SvennoJ said:
Isn't that something different though. Cloud = general purpose computing != dedicated server. I guess you can have virtual dedicated servers.

Seems the cloud buzzword has too much bullshit hanging onto it, so now it's dedicated servers, sounds better. Still the same distributed computing platform I assume, simulating scale-able virtual dedicated servers. Better than dedicated servers is some ways, worse in others.

There is no clear definition of "cloud". It's a marketing term that gets used differently from company to company. In the broadest sense cloud is nothing more than a server(or server farm) connected to the internet. The purpose of that server is defined by whoever uses it. It's a stupid term and I don't know anyone in IT who has the slightest appreciation for it as it is just a buzzword for a thing that literally existed since the beginning of the internet.

The FTP server I have at home is as much a cloud as a high end server farm for distributed computing.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:
SvennoJ said:

There is no clear definition of "cloud". It's a marketing term that gets used differently from company to company. In the broadest sense cloud is nothing more than a server(or server farm) connected to the internet. The purpose of that server is defined by whoever uses it. It's a stupid term and I don't know anyone in IT who has the slightest appreciation for it as it is just a buzzword for a thing that literally existed since the beginning of the internet.

The FTP server I have at home is as much a cloud as a high end server farm for distributed computing.

True. Dedicated servers are however generally understood to be used for exclusive tasks, while the Azure platform is shared between lots of companies and lots of purposes.