By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I think Nintendo Should Double Dip

Looking at the exciting new Splatoon it reminds me very much of what I would have thought of as Super Mario Paintball.  I can completely understand Nintendo scrubbing Mario and company from the experience to appeal to a wider audience. It worked well with Wii Sports, Play, Party etc.  I am in no way mad at that.  

Would it be profitable for them to double dip?  I bet up to 2-3 million people would buy in for a slightly deeper, more demanding mushroom kingdom themed version of any of those games.  While I enjoyed Wii Sports I still craved to have all of the Mario Sports games too. I really just wish it weren't a one or the other but both.  Am I being selfish and wanting to have my cake and eat it too or do you think Nintendo could profitably pull it off?

Around the Network

I think the Mario name is already overused, and as good (advertising wise) as, for exaple, branding Splatoon ''Mario . . .'' would be and that i consider each Mario branch to be a separate franchise; It's a lot better to see them trying to stablish a new IP

I have nothing against Mario spinoffs, but they need to be able to be independent from Mario aswell. If they connect every new IP to Mario (and yes, I know they don't, I'm just making a point), they are going to face serious trouble, especially because people are going to look at it and say "it's just a new Mario game," and parents are going to look at it like "the kid got a Mario game last month, he should get something else." Diversity is good, enjoy it. The Inklings fits well with the game. There's no reason to change it.

No, Mario's name has already been dragged through all the crevices of gaming. He doesn't need anymore.

The only way nintendo can have new ip is if Mario is not on it. Over these past years they have been losing money Mario has come out every year. It brings up the profit but it also cheapens the Mario name. And like they said in the digital event we don't want another Mario now. And no Mario and the games they have will probably bring them to profit next year. So what I am saying a new major Mario needs to only happen two or three years from each other. Other games have to shine and like this game new ip.

Around the Network

I think this is the first time I've ever seen someone actually parade around the fact that they like all of Mario's spinoffs, not to mention wanting more of them. You are brave.

NintendoPie said:
I think this is the first time I've ever seen someone actually parade around the fact that they like all of Mario's spinoffs, not to mention wanting more of them. You are brave.

Had not been paying enough attention to know that this was a first.  So maybe a little more foolish than brave.

RolStoppable said:
Same problem as always: Too many valuable IPs and options, not enough development resources to make all of them a reality.

Very sad and very true.  No chance they aren't hiring more developers to put into that new headquarters they were building?