By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Official Wii Fit thread. Place your blame here

Around the Network

Woolworths has been renamed WiiWorths in some parts of England.

I'm not joking.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Well I wasn't planning to get it (at least not for awhile), but I just suddenly decided to buy Wii Fit. I went to 2 of the largest Electronic/Game stores here in Nagoya(one of the larger cities in Japan) and at one place it was sold out and at the other I bought the last one (the clerk put up the "out of stock" sign on the Wii Fit display while I was paying for my copy, hehe) The box was much heavier than I was expecting it to be and I had a bit of trouble getting it back to my place. I'm going to try it out later tonight after I watch the Spurs/Hornets gm.4(NBA for those who don't know )

The only thing I'm hoping for is that it allows me to be able to use pounds rather than kilograms as that's much easier for me to quickly understand (yes, I'm from the USA!)

starcraft: "I and every PS3 fanboy alive are waiting for Versus more than FFXIII.
Me since the games were revealed, the fanboys since E3."

Skeeuk: "playstation 3 is the ultimate in gaming acceleration"

Bodhesatva said:

Woolworths has been renamed WiiWorths in some parts of England.

I'm not joking.

who would have thought?

Is the Wii Fit being counted as a game or accessory by NPD? Last I heard, it was an accessory. Is this correct?

Hi there.

http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Video_Game_Sales - A wiki for video game sales figures

Around the Network

The real test will be who's still using it in a few months after the hubub has died down.

I bought one for myself (a core gamer) and one for my sister's household (enjoys gaming, but does not play many titles).

I've already given them the pitch as well as the brief about the upcoming hype.

They don't have to do a thing in terms of ordering it, I'm going to set it up and leave it for them to play with. It's a health conscious house, both in terms of exercise and diet, so none of the fitness principles and concepts are new to them. They both go to the gym, and they regularly buy sports/fitness equipment.

Will it be entertaining or useful? If it's the former, I expect it will not be used after a few months (which will be confirmed as soon as the board disappears into storage somewhere). If it's the latter, I would imagine my sister might actually start using it on a regular basis if she doesn't find it to be too elementary.

For myself, if it's entertaining, I expect to still be using mine, probably through 2008, even if I'm just using it as a monitor (along with a body fat/water % measuring scale), rather than for exercise. If it's fantastic (fun and actually shows results beyond changes in Wii statistics) I could see this as the primary reason for using the Wii until some 3rd party releases suited to my tastes are available.

For the record, I do not go to the gym; I lift free weights at home, body weight exercises (push ups, crunches/sit ups, pull ups) and run (no tracks, no treadmills). I watch what I eat. 8 years of Army PT, over 20 years of various martial arts. So yes, I like to exercise.

wiiworths hahahahaha clasic! any way, I got wii fit last week and the wife has lost 1.5kg in a week, doing about an hour excercise on it a day! nice, shes now under her ideal bmi but that thing is over rated, like every one says its not a good indicator especially for bulky guys with lots of muscle. Im 83kgs and I dont want to lose any weight, but it says im just over weight!!! grrr! any way, that game wants me to be a stick, a little 75kg stick and i worked sooooo hard to get above 80!

But its soooo good! lovin the jogging on the spot, i can almost feel the virtual breeze in my hair, pushups are awesome to, its nice having a personal trainer for just over $100 AU

the game gives a good work out experience but when theres open parks to jog in and rivers to stroll along nothing can beat the real thing. I can see why its so popular in japan!!!

If at first you don't succeed, you fail

I'd be curious to try the running workouts with a treadmill, rather than running in place with a remote in my pocket, but then it would no longer be a self enclosed Wii workout. Treadmill runs can be pretty monotonous unless you watch TV while doing them.

Thoughts on the use of the BMI scale. Unless you are a formal competitive (including heavy weight lifters) or professional athlete, the BMI scale is more than adequate to gauge most individuals, particularly those engaging in an informal or light workout regimen.

Taking my own height and weight, I am 2 points overweight on the BMI scale, yet I have enough muscle mass to press my own weight (free weights) for 3 sets of 10, same for pull ups. More than most.

So, I have the same reservations about losing 12-13 lbs of body mass under the assumption that I'll lose strength (with the trade off of being able to do more pulls ups or any body weight based exercise) overall.

Then I crunched the numbers after taking my body fat percentage, calculating that into lbs of fat and was interested to see that the amount of body fat I'd have to lose to put me into my"ideal" BMI range would put me into the 9-10% body fat range. That's right at the bottom end of what is considered healthy (8-20%) which is typically where most competitive athletes are (or less).

It is no coincidence that my sifu informed me years ago that for my height and build, my ideal fighting weight would be almost exactly the same as it would be if I were to drop my body fat percentage down to that 9-10% range putting me at the top end of the healthy BMI range.

While just under 20% may be considered acceptable, even for a muscled build, unless you are cut like a body builder (competitive body builders have single digit body fat percentages), the BMI scale is still fairly accurate, just harsher for those with above average muscle mass and strength.

So, no excuses if you lift weights and have a high BMI.

I might buy Wii fit by the end of the year.

Reggie being interviewed on CNBC, a must watch if you're a Maria Baritoromo fan.

Bah, couldn't get the video posted. You'll have to visit the link yourself.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/15840232?video=743425834