By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - will game developers use the blu-ray in the next consoles?

one person replied with green ray video :lol:

was that a joke?

Around the Network
ssj12 said:
yes, Blu-ray can have up to 8-layers currently which is 200GBs.

Where'd you hear that?  Everything I've read has always said 4-layers (definitely not small by any means btw)

OT: I don't know about Blu-Ray, but before the 360, every company has always used larger storage formats for successive systems.

Nintendo:

NES cart about 50kb<SNES cart about 16 megabytes<N64 not sure how big<GC 1.5gb discs<Wii 9-10gb discs

Sony:

PS1 800mb disc<PS2 9-10gb disc<50gb PS3 Blu-Ray

I think that as early as the next couple of years, MS will give the 360 a firware update to let the 360 use HD-VMDs, which only require a software update for a DVD drive and can hold roughly the same as a BR.  Nintendo likely won't do that.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."
thekitchensink said:
ssj12 said:
yes, Blu-ray can have up to 8-layers currently which is 200GBs.

Where'd you hear that? Everything I've read has always said 4-layers (definitely not small by any means btw)

OT: I don't know about Blu-Ray, but before the 360, every company has always used larger storage formats for successive systems.

Nintendo:

NES cart about 50kb

Sony:

PS1 800mb disc<50gb PS3 Blu-Ray

I think that as early as the next couple of years, MS will give the 360 a firware update to let the 360 use HD-VMDs, which only require a software update for a DVD drive and can hold roughly the same as a BR. Nintendo likely won't do that.

I have read something a long time ago about a blu-ray with 200 gigs, can't remember where.

anyways, I took this from wikipedia:

"Also behind closed doors at CES 2007, Ritek has revealed that they had successfully developed a High Definition optical disc process that extends the disc capacity to 10 layers. That increases the capacity of the discs to 250 GB. However, they noted that the major obstacle is that current reader and writer technology does not support the additional layers.[63]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray_Disc

So I would imagine, it's only a matter of time really. 

̶3̶R̶D̶   2ND! Place has never been so sweet.

PDF said:
if blue-ray can hold so much why have hard drives??? why dont they just put a blu-ray in the ps3 and have all the info be recorded onto that one disc instead of a hard drive

A HDD (hard disk drive) has better seek time, better read/write speeds, better reliability, and better durability.

As for HD-VMDs, I highly doubt that the XBox360 will be able to read them with just a firmware update. Sort of like how an 8 layer Bluray disc would be unreadable by my PS3 (although Hitachi claims to have made a 4 layer disc readable by current Bluray drives).

joseardzm said:
Wii uses DVD also.

Probably they will. I read that oblivion in Play Station 3 was made in a Blue Ray disc and because the game itself is not that big, the disc had the information repeated to decrease loading times. I ll try to find a link on that.

Wow, is it possible there is still so much misinformation going around ? Every game that comes out for PS3 is made on Blu-ray disc even if said game doesn't need that much space or if it is a port or whatever. 1st party games use that spare space to give uncompressed audio or bonus material like making of and that sort of things.

@PDF because the less you stress the laser lens the more it will work and also it is slower to get information from a disc than from a hard drive.

Around the Network

Actually if the color changes again, it'll go to violet, ultraviolet, x-ray, gamma-ray. I hope live long enough to see gamma-ray discs, because I really wonder how they'll manage to do that and have discs readable more than once.

I don't thinka any of the Console Manufactures Will be using Blu- Ray on their next consoles for two reasons. One is that technology advancements have become more and more rapid. two I Believe none of console manafacturers will be all that eager to release another console for the next 7-9 years. I do hope that they will stick with a phyiscal format. I love the feelintg of holding a newly purchased case rather it be a music cd, Video game, or a DVD. I don't want to have to download stuff as it will take away from the expierence that I enjoy

Systems I own (Games)

Sega: Dreamcast (40) , Saturn (25), Genesis (50), Masters System (10), Game Gear (20)

Sony: PS1 (8), PS2 (60) , PS3 (5), PSP (12)

Atari: 2600 (18) , 7800 (10), Lynx (10)

coolestguyever said:
Wii 2 will use VHS

720 will use Blu Ray

PS4 will use Ultra Supersonic hyper high density definition green Ray video

I know tis a joke but actually a green ray would be a step down from a blue ray since it would be at a lower frequency than blu-ray. Of course there is always stuff like orthagonal and holographic recording. An ultra violet LED would allow for more data over a short length as it is a higher frequency better yet X-Ray or Gamma Ray for even better discs.

Some mentioned the theorotical limit of the Blu Ray DVD actually has a theoratical limit of 18 gigs per side but no plaer can play them. I think 100 gigs is enough.

PDF

Blu ray is in fact very limited in terms of seek time and read speed. and since the discs spins it is actually physically limited in the #X department as well. Then there is the issue of writing to the disc and being able ot do so quickly and out of order like temporary cache files and the fact that it will be a significant ways behind Hard Drives by the time it fully matures and never match the price per gigabyte of a Hard Drive until well after Hard Drives are at 4 terrabytes and using SATA 3 or SAS 3 with a real life transfer rate of 400 MBs a second. This will make it sueful and cost effective for movies and backin up hard copies but useless for the then higher quality movies and music files you will clutter your HD with and too slow for an OS to efficiently use.

Blue Ray will never match the energy effiecency or spped of a SSD drive either.

Definatly Blu-ray at ~10* read speed it's fast enough to read 25Gb in under 10 minutes and i expect eventually PS3's will appear with 4* and 6* speed blu-ray drives (just like the PS2 or Xboxes have done with DVD)
I doubt there will ever be a need to go to a larger optical format for games or movies blu-ray has enough head room to allow for 2k48 and 3D Hi Definition formats (especially once they develop 3D codecs ).
Wiki claims current Blu-ray drives should be able to read the 4 layer 100GByte disks made by hitachi if 50Gb is not enough (after a firmware update). I doubt that will happen though each optical layer increases the manufacturing costs of optical media. VMD was dead on arrival due to higher costs and lower capacity than both the blu-lazer formats.

PS3 number 1 fan

Assuming all three companies stay in the console business, and there are no new arrivals:

The only one I'm mostly sure about is that Sony will be using Blu-ray. The size will be enough for the foreseeable future, they already own the rights to it, and increasing the popularity of the format will always be in their best interests.

Microsoft and Nintendo will probably use something other than DVD. By then games will have reached the point where DVD size is limiting what developers can do, and everyone will be using HD anyway. Not sure if it'll be BR, since Sony might be a bitch about licensing fees, and the discs are way bigger than strictly needed.

Especially Nintendo doesn't seem to care about movie playback, so they could very well use a cheaper proprietary format with 2-3 times the capacity of DVD. Assuming they decide it's cheaper than paying up for an existing format of course.