By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - The "truth" about GTA4 Xbox360 DLC

Lord N said:

• Microsoft knows that GTA3 is the game that pretty much gave the PS2 so much success.
This is false.
It was the PS2 that gave GTA3 and the GTA series at large so much success. GTA3 and GTA:SA, and GTA:VC, were released on the PS2, which was selling extremely well without it, had far broader appeal, and was much cheaper. There's also the fact that these games were released during the holiday season.
The DLC isn't going to make a bit of difference. The general gaming public doesn't give a damn about Xbox Live, much less DLC that's going to cost extra money. Also, the 360 isn't selling nearly as well as the PS2, doesn't have the same broad appeal, and is far above mass market price point. GTAIV is also going to be released in April where its effects on console sales will be limited.

Just because the system was selling well does not mean the series gave no contribution to the PS2's success (and that it what your comment implied).

The simple thing is that the series was the only third party games of the 6th gen to break 10 million (Gran Turismo 3 and Pokemon being first party). Plus GTA III came out around the launch of the Xbox and Gamecube. You're telling me such a hit game didn't convince 3rd-parties that the Playstation brand was still the way to go?

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network
LordTheNightKnight said:
Lord N said:

• Microsoft knows that GTA3 is the game that pretty much gave the PS2 so much success.
This is false.
It was the PS2 that gave GTA3 and the GTA series at large so much success. GTA3 and GTA:SA, and GTA:VC, were released on the PS2, which was selling extremely well without it, had far broader appeal, and was much cheaper. There's also the fact that these games were released during the holiday season.
The DLC isn't going to make a bit of difference. The general gaming public doesn't give a damn about Xbox Live, much less DLC that's going to cost extra money. Also, the 360 isn't selling nearly as well as the PS2, doesn't have the same broad appeal, and is far above mass market price point. GTAIV is also going to be released in April where its effects on console sales will be limited.

Just because the system was selling well does not mean the series gave no contribution to the PS2's success (and that it what your comment implied).

The simple thing is that the series was the only third party games of the 6th gen to break 10 million (Gran Turismo 3 and Pokemon being first party). Plus GTA III came out around the launch of the Xbox and Gamecube. You're telling me such a hit game didn't convince 3rd-parties that the Playstation brand was still the way to go?

I wasn't implying it, I was outright saying it. PS2 sales did not increase due to any of the GTA games.

It was not GTA that convinced third parties that the PS2 would give them the most success. It's never just one game that does that. What convinced them was the fact that the PS2 was selling faster than any other console in history and had already sold close to 14 million units when the Xbox and Gamecube were first available.

It was the PS2 that moved GTA, not the other way around. There's no way GTA would have sold anywhere near as many copies had it been released on the Xbox or Gamecube. 

Consoles owned: Saturn, Dreamcast, PS1, PS2, PSP, DS, PS3

Lord N said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
Lord N said:

This is false.

I wasn't implying it, I was outright saying it. PS2 sales did not increase due to any of the GTA games.

It was not GTA that convinced third parties that the PS2 would give them the most success. It's never just one game that does that. What convinced them was the fact that the PS2 was selling faster than any other console in history and had already sold close to 14 million units when the Xbox and Gamecube were first available.

It was the PS2 that moved GTA, not the other way around. There's no way GTA would have sold anywhere near as many copies had it been released on the Xbox or Gamecube.

Just curious -- what, in your opinion, did cause the PS2 to reach 120 million units sold? I'm not asking that rhetorically or facetiously. I would honestly be interested in knowing your opinion.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

This thread just made up my mind on what console to buy it for.

Current Consoles: Xbox 360 Elite, Playstation 2, Gaming Rig, Nintendo Wii, Playstation 3.

Xbox Live: Jessman_Aus - Playing: Ace Combat 6, Fifa 09

Playstation Network: Jessman_Aus - Playing: MGS4, Resistance 2

Wii Freind Code: 3513-9191-8534-3866 - Playing: SSBB

Brawl Code: 1590-6125-1250

Xfire: J3ssman - Playing: Fallout 3, Farcry 2

Jessman: Fears the Mangina

Jessman said:
This thread just made up my mind on what console to buy it for.

http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=18279

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Around the Network
Bodhesatva said:
Lord N said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
Lord N said:

This is false.

Just curious -- what, in your opinion, did cause the PS2 to reach 120 million units sold? I'm not asking that rhetorically or facetiously. I would honestly be interested in knowing your opinion.

In my opinion it was several things.

-PlayStation 1 momentum and the PlayStation brand.

-DVD playback. The PS2 was the first DVD player for many people, especially in Japan where the top-selling PS2 "game" for the longest time was The Matrix.

-The fact that it was the only next-gen console on the market for a good while. The Dreamcast died shortly after its release.

-Affordability.

-A huge library of games that covered every genre. There was always something for everyone. It was never just one game.

Lord N said:
Bodhesatva said:
Lord N said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
Lord N said:

This is false.

-DVD playback. The PS2 was the first DVD player for many people, especially in Japan where the top-selling PS2 "game" for the longest time was The Matrix.

-The fact that it was the only next-gen console on the market for a good while. The Dreamcast died shortly after its release.

-Affordability.

-A huge library of games that covered every genre. There was always something for everyone. It was never just one game.

It's interesting that you put "huge library of games that covered every genre" at the end, as if it was a minor point.

You do agree that the PS2's library was its most significant selling point, yes? Or do you believe that DVD playback, as an example, was just as important? Put more directly: do you think it sold more as a DVD player than a game player?

LOL i didn't even realise i have said it before... Sorry. Lol

Current Consoles: Xbox 360 Elite, Playstation 2, Gaming Rig, Nintendo Wii, Playstation 3.

Xbox Live: Jessman_Aus - Playing: Ace Combat 6, Fifa 09

Playstation Network: Jessman_Aus - Playing: MGS4, Resistance 2

Wii Freind Code: 3513-9191-8534-3866 - Playing: SSBB

Brawl Code: 1590-6125-1250

Xfire: J3ssman - Playing: Fallout 3, Farcry 2

Jessman: Fears the Mangina

Jessman said:
LOL i didn't even realise i have said it before... Sorry. Lol

Not like I care, Jess. Just noticed it.

Bodhesatva said:
Lord N said:
Bodhesatva said:
Lord N said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
Lord N said:

This is false.

-Affordability.

It's interesting that you put "huge library of games that covered every genre" at the end, as if it was a minor point.

You do agree that the PS2's library was its most significant selling point, yes? Or do you believe that DVD playback, as an example, was just as important? Put more directly: do you think it sold more as a DVD player than a game player?

No, you're just reading too far into it. The points aren't in any kind of order.