By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Super-speed Internet satellite blasts off in Japan

(CNN) -- Japan launched a rocket Saturday carrying a satellite that will test new technology that promises to deliver "super high-speed Internet" service to homes and businesses around the world.

A rocket carrying a super-fast Internet satellite lifts off from its launch pad on the Japanese island of Tanagashima.

The rocket carrying the WINDS satellite -- a joint project of the Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA) and Mitsubishi Heavy Industries -- lifted off its pad at 5:55 p.m. (0855 GMT).

If the technology proves successful, subscribers with small dishes will connect to the Internet at speeds many times faster than what is now available over residential cable or DSL services.

The Associated Press said the satellite would offer speeds of up to 1.2 gigabytes per second.

The service initially would focus on the Asia-Pacific region close to Japan, a JAXA news release said.

"Among other uses, this will make possible great advances in telemedicine, which will bring high-quality medical treatment to remote areas, and in distance education, connecting students and teachers separated by great distances," JAXA said.

The rocket was launched from Japan's Yoshinobu Launch Complex at the Tanegashima Space Center.

source: http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/02/23/japan.satellite/index.html?iref=mpstoryview 

------

holy crap that's fast internet.  streaming HD video here we come!!! 

Around the Network
kitler53 said:

(CNN) -- Japan launched a rocket Saturday carrying a satellite that will test new technology that promises to deliver "super high-speed Internet" service to homes and businesses around the world.

A rocket carrying a super-fast Internet satellite lifts off from its launch pad on the Japanese island of Tanagashima.

The rocket carrying the WINDS satellite -- a joint project of the Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA) and Mitsubishi Heavy Industries -- lifted off its pad at 5:55 p.m. (0855 GMT).

If the technology proves successful, subscribers with small dishes will connect to the Internet at speeds many times faster than what is now available over residential cable or DSL services.

The Associated Press said the satellite would offer speeds of up to 1.2 gigabytes per second.

The service initially would focus on the Asia-Pacific region close to Japan, a JAXA news release said.

"Among other uses, this will make possible great advances in telemedicine, which will bring high-quality medical treatment to remote areas, and in distance education, connecting students and teachers separated by great distances," JAXA said.

The rocket was launched from Japan's Yoshinobu Launch Complex at the Tanegashima Space Center.

source: http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/02/23/japan.satellite/index.html?iref=mpstoryview

------

holy crap that's fast internet. streaming HD video here we come!!!

Too bad the u.s provides crappy internet. In japan 40mbps is like  equivalent to 20 dollars a month which the us only has 756kbps for that price. You have tto pay 150 for internet japan gets for like 20-40. 

I want a piece of that action, wonder how much it'll cost and the limits they'll put on it.

Satellite internet is not good for gaming, the latency is too high.

I don't think it's any good for gaming though. I read somewhere that the latency is really high.

edit: ha, posted at the same time as fishyjoe.

Around the Network

well.. once the US kills off analog signals in 2009 internet speeds should at minimum double.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

1.2 gb/s!!!!!!!! I'm running 100 mbps and it's really fast...(DSL FTW)....1.2 gb/s is ALOT of downloaded cat pictures...

My internet connection is still 48 kbps, no high speed in my area yet.

Nintendo still doomed?
Feel free to add me on 3DS or Switch! (PM me if you do ^-^)
Nintendo ID: Mako91                  3DS code: 4167-4543-6089

Woah *drools* me wants! XD

I can't imagine how expansive it'll be here though. For a 10mbits/sec, 100 GB dload/upload per month, it's 64,90$ per month with a contract of one year, 74,90$ without it. =__=

supermariogalaxy said:
1.2 gb/s!!!!!!!! I'm running 100 mbps and it's really fast...(DSL FTW)....1.2 gb/s is ALOT of downloaded cat pictures...

There is no 100mbps connection in the U.S the most is 50mbps I think. The highest I think dsl goes to is 12mbps. I think you are looking at you ethernet connection speed. Take a speedtest here http://www.speedtest.net/ .

To the op what are the upload speeds?