By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japan Sales 01/06/14 - Mario Kart 8 Week! (>325k SW, 19k HW)

Did anyone bother to mention that those are three days worth of Mario Kart sales in Japan? It hasn't even been a week.

Check out my art blog: http://jon-erich-art.blogspot.com

Around the Network
fleischr said:

Prior to MK8 launch, the UK WiiU situation was pretty bad. Even worse than in Japan. There was already a LOT of room for improvement there.

And while Japan Wii U sales have been low, they've had a reasonably steady baseline.

Are we sure that the console wasn't supply constrained that week?

I know I'm a little late to this discussion, but no, there is pretty much no chance of supply constraints.

As of March Nintendo had shipped 1.81m to Japan.  Even if none have been shipped in the last two months, that leaves 40k+ on shelves at the end of this tracking week.

Anyways, pretty good software sales, but hardware is pretty dire.  The Wii U sold more hardware on the Pikmin launch week than on the release of Mario Kart.  The Wii U seems to always turn something that would have sounded like trolling into reality.  If it can maintain these sales or even build on them that would be good, but right now it is looking rough.

Lets insert a little logic here.

First and foremost, these are sales in Japan. Look at ALL of the numbers. The country is currently a wasteland for console sales. If you were expecting much more than that boost, you were, quite frankly, being dumb.

Second, "Opening Week" for Mario Kart 8 sales/hw boost in Japan will be divided over two weeks. This release only covers 3 days of sales, the next 4 days of week one will be out next week.

Third, the Japanese market didn't get such an amazing deal. Western gamers had the Mario Kart bundle + the free game. If you want to cast doom and gloom do it AFTER we see the worldwide totals, because not only should you expect Japanese sales to be garbage across the board, but the Western sales should be decidedly more vibrant due to the larger amount of customers and the much, much better deal.

20K in France
12K in UK
19K in Japan
._.???

Jon-Erich said:
Did anyone bother to mention that those are three days worth of Mario Kart sales in Japan? It hasn't even been a week.

It is 4 days, and that is a normal first week in Japan.  Why do people always make posts like this when something doesn't perform as well as they might have hoped.

Experimental42 said:

Second, "Opening Week" for Mario Kart 8 sales/hw boost in Japan will be divided over two weeks. This release only covers 3 days of sales, the next 4 days of week one will be out next week.

You too.

Around the Network

Yakuzaice said:
Jon-Erich said:

It is 4 days, and that is a normal first week in Japan.  Why do people always make posts like this when something doesn't perform as well as they might have hoped.

Experimental42 said:

You too.

I guess it did come out a day eariler in Japan., so if the sales included June 1 it would be 4 days, you're right. The main point still remains however, that the first week of sales is actually divided over 2 weeks of charts.

Wow, disappointing Wii U numbers..
Console gaming seems to be almost dead in Japan.

TheLastStarFighter said:
I was expecting a 2-300% hardware boost from MK8, so I'd say this is on the low side.

Well the boost is around 200% - 300%, so your stament is that you expected the hardware boost to be on the low side?

Isn't this to be expected for Wii U being it's may?