By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PC vs Console Gaming: Which Is Actually More Expensive?

http://www.techconsumer.com/2008/02/22/pc-vs-console-gaming-which-is-actually-more-expensive/

by Paul Ellis

“PC gamers” often snicker about how “console gamers” pay for things that they get for free. They also tout that PC games usually sell for less than console games. After hearing these claims a few million times, I decided to dive into the numbers and see who is really paying more over the life-cycle of their gaming system of choice. Warning: there is actually some real financial analysis going on here. I’m just trying to get the facts straight. FYI, if you only care about the results, skip to the verdict.

The Scenarios

I decided to look at three different gaming configurations, an Xbox 360, a “typical” gaming PC, and the gaming PC setup as a home theater PC (HTPC). The main difference between the gaming PC and the HTPC is the display and sound. The gaming PC has a 22″ widescreen monitor with computer surround sound speakers. The HTPC has a 46″ 1080P LCD display, and a component 5.1 home theater speaker setup. The Xbox 360 setup has the same 46″ LCD display and speakers as the HTPC.

The Assumptions

1. The gaming PC must be replaced every three years (just the PC not the display or sound)
  2. The gaming PC gets $250 of misc. upgrades by year two
  3. The gaming PC is being purchased instead of a basic computer that would have been purchased anyway
  4. The console PC requires a larger/better television than what would have been purchased anyway
  5. The console life cycle is six years
  6. For all scenarios four full-priced games, and one discount game (50%) were purchased each year
  7. The console gamer purchases three additional controllers
  8. The console gamer goes through four dozen batteries per year
  9. The console gamer pays for an Xbox Live Gold membership
  10. 23% (mean of Dell’s consumer financing rates 15-30%) discount rate used to calculate the NPV

The Method
I am using a finance technique known as net present value (NPV). It is a method for accounting for the time value of money. Basically a dollar today is worth more than a dollar three years from now (or any other later date). It should be noted that using NPV favors the PC rig because it discounts the future costs of upgrading/replacing the system which you don’t have to do with the Xbox 360.

The Verdict
In the scenarios I have laid out, the basic PC gaming setup is more expensive. It is somewhat close though; only 12% higher. Think about that though, a 46″ 1080P LCD TV, full home-theater setup, an Xbox 360, 6 years of Xbox Live, four controllers, and the two included games costs less than a good (but not amazing) gaming PC on a relatively paltry 22″ display.

If you compare the 360 to the HTPC it gets bad real quick: 38% more. If you assume that you already have the TV/monitor and sound that you’ll be using for your gaming, the PC solutions are a whopping 71% more. Here’s the breakdown in dollar figures:

Total NPV
Xbox 360: $3,152
Gaming PC: $3,523
HTPC: $4,349

NPV without display and sound
Xbox 360: $1,837
Gaming PC: $3,149
HTPC: $3,149

The Point?
The only point of this is to show the PC gaming is in fact more expensive. If you enjoy PC gaming, so be it. Just know that it costs more. For the record, I was actually surprised how well PC gaming did in this comparison. For my dollar, I’ll take the integrated approach of the Xbox 360 and Xbox Live though, not to mention that I don’t have to install my games and troubleshoot them to make them work (if you can make them work).

If you would like to check out my spreadsheet for this, here’s the link.

--------------------

Interesting article to me.

Discuss. :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyLhpUPNPIs

360 IS OPERATIONAL AFTER 37 DAYS!

Around the Network

your gaming rig is a touch expensive, you dont need top of the line to play games. My $700 desktop ($250 of that total was the monitor). can run all past games on high and UT3 on medium. I just can't run crysis. Currently I could build a desktop for the same price and have a chance of running crysis on low and jsut spend $150 on a monitor instead and get an 9600GT as my video card.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Also who says a console that is heavily used will actually last for 6 years. My pc won't run Crysis either neither can PS3 or 360 even 6 years from now.

Well, I guess that argument is valid.
But, remember this, Microsoft has (free) 3 year warranty on every 360 since launch.
PC warranties usually have a price attached to them. (Well, for Futureshop or Bestbuy anyways)
And even if it did break down, throw another $500 on that (rounding up, really lazy) and it's still cheaper than the Home Theatre PC and slightly more expensive than the Gaming PC (By $50 or so, again really lazy).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyLhpUPNPIs

360 IS OPERATIONAL AFTER 37 DAYS!

I still prefer PC, i get half price parts, so that means nothing to me.

Current Consoles: Xbox 360 Elite, Playstation 2, Gaming Rig, Nintendo Wii, Playstation 3.

Xbox Live: Jessman_Aus - Playing: Ace Combat 6, Fifa 09

Playstation Network: Jessman_Aus - Playing: MGS4, Resistance 2

Wii Freind Code: 3513-9191-8534-3866 - Playing: SSBB

Brawl Code: 1590-6125-1250

Xfire: J3ssman - Playing: Fallout 3, Farcry 2

Jessman: Fears the Mangina

Around the Network
BottledSpringWater said:
Well, I guess that argument is valid.
But, remember this, Microsoft has (free) 3 year warranty on every 360 since launch.
PC warranties usually have a price attached to them. (Well, for Futureshop or Bestbuy anyways)
And even if it did break down, throw another $500 on that (rounding up, really lazy) and it's still cheaper than the Home Theatre PC and slightly more expensive than the Gaming PC (By $50 or so, again really lazy).

it also only take about $160 or less to upgrade your PC every 2 to 3 years to play everything imaginable.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please

PC+PS3 = Best choice! =)

PC for FPS and RTS, PS3 for all other genres. =)

Good gaming PC cost today 399$ -> http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=237787
But of`course it`s WORTH to use GF9600GT, that another 30-40$. =)

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

No, PC and Wii is the best choice.

Current Consoles: Xbox 360 Elite, Playstation 2, Gaming Rig, Nintendo Wii, Playstation 3.

Xbox Live: Jessman_Aus - Playing: Ace Combat 6, Fifa 09

Playstation Network: Jessman_Aus - Playing: MGS4, Resistance 2

Wii Freind Code: 3513-9191-8534-3866 - Playing: SSBB

Brawl Code: 1590-6125-1250

Xfire: J3ssman - Playing: Fallout 3, Farcry 2

Jessman: Fears the Mangina

Jessman said:
No, PC and Wii is the best choice.

no... PS3 + Wii + PC

Most Xbox 360 owners buy ONE extra controller.
Most Xbox 360 owners already have a television in their household, so it is an unfairly included cost.
Recharge Packs are available and substantially cheaper than continually using batteries.
If it is fair to assume a regular PC would be purchased anyway, it's DEFINATELY fair to assume a television would have as well.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS