By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PC vs Console Gaming: Which Is Actually More Expensive?

CrazzyMan said:
PC+PS3 = Best choice! =)

PC for FPS and RTS, PS3 for all other genres. =)

Good gaming PC cost today 399$ -> http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=237787
But of`course it`s WORTH to use GF9600GT, that another 30-40$. =)

Which other genres are you referring too?

The party games where the 360 and Wii are kicking the PS3's butt?

The JRPG's where 360 is kicking PS3's butt?

The WRPG's where the 360 is kicking PS3's butt?

The Racers where the 360 is kicking PS3's butt?

Or perhaps you could even play those RTS's on a 360 instead of a PC, another way in which the 360 is kicking the PS3's butt? 

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Around the Network

an $800 PC can easily play every single PC game in the next 5/6 years, only needing an upgrade in the middle of it's lifetime.

I bought a P4 back in 2003 which cost $1000 (monitor included) with a GPU upgrade later, and 5 years later it can still run every PC game available, even Crysis (although at the lowest settings). This year it will still be able to run almost every game, and next year several games can be run on it.

Also, the first 2 assumptions made in the article are completely wrong. No PC is replaced just after 3 years, NONE. Same goes for upgrading after just 1 year....

It's a bad article, it did not even mention the fact that PC games are much cheaper than 360's games. They are $10 cheaper (some even $20-30) and they lower their price much faster. Funny the writer did not mention it.

Hell, off the top of my head I can do better calculations:

Xbox 360:
$350 Xbox 360 Premium
$300 (6 years of Xbox Live)
$2160 (6 games per year, for 6 years total)
= $2810

PC:
$800 PC (no monitor)
$200 GPU Upgrade
$1800 (6 games per year, 6 years total)
= $2800

ZOMFG!!! Console gaming costs more than PC gaming !!!!!! WE'RE ALL DOOMED!!!

Hell, I could've still cut back in the cost of the PC games since many of them actually retails $30 and $40, and the prices go down MUCH faster than console games.

My pc was only 700 dollars from parts I bought from newegg.
Intel Pentium dual core e2140 1.6ghz overclocked to 3.0ghz
8600gt 512mb gpu
2gb of ddr2 ram
250gb hdd
22 inch lcd monitor
This pc could play almost any game on high not crysis and crysis on low-medium. If I didn't buy the monitor it would be cheaper than the xbox 360 elite priced at 400 dollars. This is also not including tax on both items.

I can see why you wouldn't list the PS3 as an FPS console Crazzy, not having a single exclusive shooter over 87%.

But you really don't need a PC, just buy a cheaper 360 and play our 3 90+% exclusive shooters and the better versions of the multiplatform ones.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Around the Network

starcraft said:
I can see why you wouldn't list the PS3 as an FPS console Crazzy, not having a single exclusive shooter over 87%.

But you really don't need a PC, just buy a cheaper 360 and play our 3 90+% exclusive shooters and the better versions of the multiplatform ones.

Well if you like to play something besides shooter then 360 is no replacement for a PC.  ( games like  Sins of Solar Empire)

Also key/mouse is still best for shooter as well. While I own and like my PS3, the most variety someone could play would clearly be PC/Wii and the worst would be PC/360 combination.

starcraft said:
CrazzyMan said:
PC+PS3 = Best choice! =)

PC for FPS and RTS, PS3 for all other genres. =)

Good gaming PC cost today 399$ -> http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=237787
But of`course it`s WORTH to use GF9600GT, that another 30-40$. =)

Which other genres are you referring too?

The party games where the 360 and Wii are kicking the PS3's butt?

The JRPG's where 360 is kicking PS3's butt?

The WRPG's where the 360 is kicking PS3's butt?

The Racers where the 360 is kicking PS3's butt?

Or perhaps you could even play those RTS's on a 360 instead of a PC, another way in which the 360 is kicking the PS3's butt? 

how about those crippled graphics in 360 RTSs? including future releases like supreme commander which is no where near the quality of the PC version.

How about the best FPSs are on PC? they do kill all console's FPSs combined

How about Gears on PC which kills the 360 version?

How about audiosurf which has outsold all Wii titles so far? minus pack-ins

How the fact that UT3 has Mouse and keyboard support for the PS3 version when no FPS game on the supports it?

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

He didn't actually mention what purchases he made for the PC...and he bought a Dell...to which I can really only say .."Dude you're a moron."

Sorry but I hate Dell...but I suppose for people who actually need tech support its not horrible...just mostly horrible.

To Each Man, Responsibility

I would have to agree that PC gaming is more expensive that console gaming. just in the past six years I have spent close to $7,000 dollars on my the two laptops I owned one I had for four years in college ( UD makes you buy a computer has a freshman throught them and it never really worked), and I upgraded to a Toshiba Satellite when i went into grad school. the seven thousand dollars doesn't include the games that i did buy with my laptops, and i didn't buy many. on the otherhand during the same period I spent probably 3500 on my PS2, PS3, and PSP. if you include the cost of the tv then it is about 4000. the 3500 also includes the 70+ playstation games I did buy for the sytems. I prefer playing games on my 32 in toshiba then having to play it on a 17 in screen. another thing ive noticed is that the average life of a pc is only about 4-5 years. Since 1988 my family has gone through five pcs and the first one which was an IBM 286 lasted until 1996. my broth however love pc gaming and in fact has two pc in college. All the consoles I have ever owned still work like they are brand new except my NES. the atari 2600 i own is approaching 30 years.

Systems I own (Games)

Sega: Dreamcast (40) , Saturn (25), Genesis (50), Masters System (10), Game Gear (20)

Sony: PS1 (8), PS2 (60) , PS3 (5), PSP (12)

Atari: 2600 (18) , 7800 (10), Lynx (10)