By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - The Football Thread - 17/18 Season

Saints have a new majority stake holder:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40928467

Seems to have purchased 80% for 200mil (rumoured) from Katharina. Exciting/sad times. Markus saved us, we are forever in his debt so seeing the hands being passed over is sad but as a business stand point it was only a matter of time until Katharina sold up. Bought for a few mil when we were nothing and broke. Sold for loads.

Hmm, pie.

Around the Network

3 matches into the new season and all Belgian clubs have demanded that video referee Yves Marchand be fired: https://www.vi.nl/nieuws/ophef-in-belgie-profclubs-eisen-ontslag-video-scheids (Dutch)
LMAO

Premier League clubs want to bring the transfer deadline forward 2 or 3 weeks so the transfer windows closes before the Premier League starts. Paywall unfortunately: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/premier-league-clubs-to-vote-for-early-end-to-transfers-m8vstrxrs

Should be noted that if this rule were to be passed clubs from other countries could still buy players from English teams, English teams just wouldn't be able to sign players once the window closes. Personally I hope this will pass and will become a continent-wide thing per UEFA rules. Start all European leagues during the same week and close the window on the Friday the leagues kick off. Teams shouldn't be able to change once the league has started, I wouldn't even mind completely getting rid of winter transfer although that's another discussion.

Ka-pi96 said:
poklane said:
3 matches into the new season and all Belgian clubs have demanded that video referee Yves Marchand be fired: https://www.vi.nl/nieuws/ophef-in-belgie-profclubs-eisen-ontslag-video-scheids (Dutch)
LMAO

Why, what`s he done? (I don`t speak Dutch )

Didn't give 2 penalties and 1 decision took extremely long apparently.

Ka-pi96 said:

Is that the same Chinese guy that was rumoured to be involved in corruption stuff back in China? Could be bad news if so. Last thing we need is Southampton getting a dodgy owner and going the way of Portsmouth...

That's the guy. I'm not surprised Katharina sold up but at the same time disappointed. As mentioned Markus saved us and if Markus was still with us he wouldn't sell.

Hmm, pie.

poklane said:
LMAO

I don't watch football, but I agree that he needs to be fired if he helped Club Brugge win against Zulte-Waregem.

Around the Network

Something which pisses me off way more than it should: players who stop playing because they'll just assume the referee will give the offside or foul. I'd imagine Klopp is pissed as fuck even though the got the 1-2 away win.

Tottenham Hotspur and Ajax defender Davinson Sanchez have reached an agreement for a 5 year contract. Clubs are still apart however.

This is a reporter from the Dutch De Telegraaf, they are as reliable as it gets especially when it comes to Ajax. They earlier reported that Ajax had turned down a €40million offer.

Ka-pi96 said:
"Since the summer of 2013, Barcelona have spent more money on players than Real Madrid""just under €4m (£3.6m) more than their rivals" from Marca

I think that`s a very interesting fact, quite a surprising one too. Real Madrid seem to have so much more depth than Barcelona. It does seem like Real have relatively few transfer flops compared to the amount Barca have had in recent years though, so I guess that does make a bit of sense. Whoever is in charge of player scouting at Barca should probably be replaced though

They spent like 50 million on Andre Gomes. 

They spent just as much it's just on awful players.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

Ka-pi96 said:
ArchangelMadzz said:

They spent like 50 million on Andre Gomes. 

They spent just as much it's just on awful players.

Exactly my point. Barca spend stupid amounts of money on players that just aren`t good enough for them. Can`t think of many times Real have spent a lot on someone and it`s been wasted, Kaka is the last I remember, and that was awhile ago now!

But but, they just signed Paulinho..

Sigh. 

I prefer Barca to Real but Real are so much better and don't even need Ronaldo anymore. Barca would be dead without Messi. 

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

Barcelona have always been hit or miss with their transfers, they're either really good or really bad, a lot of the time Barca's best transfers are on youth players to bring up through their academy, ironically who barely cost them peanuts.