By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - The Football Thread - 17/18 Season

S.Peelman said:
RolStoppable said:
Austria's women team won group C with seven points.

Great. Just great. /s

Finally something to cheer about and then you're not cheering Rol. :-|

At least he's convinced me to start rooting for Austria's women now.

Around the Network

If there's 1 thing I've learned from watching a decent amount of Women's EURO 2017 it's that the amount of goals would be halved if the goalkeepers were as good as your average u15 goalkeeper. Women's football as a whole is extremely bad compared to men's football but the goalkeepers are something special.

3 days of not paying attention to any football news and Southampton still haven't signed anyone. I mean our team is fine if they are fine being 10th. But we could use a few backups and strengthen the squad considering half our team are always looking to leave.

Hmm, pie.

Matic to Man U. Sometimes I wonder why Chelsea sign players then let them go to waste. I mean this is a good deal overall for all parties, Chelsea get money to pay for Morata and his wages, Man U get a strong good defensive mid.

Oh well...

Hurry up Liverpool and buy Van Djik, we need the money.

Hmm, pie.

Ka-pi96 said:
So apparently "Barcelona are trying to rally round the big European clubs to form an anti-PSG front. Bayern Munich and Juventus have shown interest in the idea. This comes after the Spanish side said they would report the French club to UEFA if the Neymar deal goes through." is a story running in L'Equipe.

Surely this can't be accurate right? I mean, for starters if you have a minimum fee release clause (and an insanely high one at that) in a player's contract you can't really get upset if somebody is actually willing to pay it. But also... come on... Barcelona aren't exactly innocent when it comes to luring other team's star players away...

But... PSG, wealthy as they are, can do what they like as long as it's in the contracts/is legal. It's not like they signed under 18 players from a different country leading to a ban on transfers or anything.

Hmm, pie.

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:

It is quite funny how much hypocrisy there is in football sometimes

You know when the Van Djik thing came out, loads of people were saying 'Everyone does it.' And yes, that may well be true but that doesn't mean you should.

Transfers are a funny business. Sooner Agents are taken out of the equation the better. :P

Hmm, pie.

Ka-pi96 said:
So apparently "Barcelona are trying to rally round the big European clubs to form an anti-PSG front. Bayern Munich and Juventus have shown interest in the idea. This comes after the Spanish side said they would report the French club to UEFA if the Neymar deal goes through." is a story running in L'Equipe.

Surely this can't be accurate right? I mean, for starters if you have a minimum fee release clause (and an insanely high one at that) in a player's contract you can't really get upset if somebody is actually willing to pay it. But also... come on... Barcelona aren't exactly innocent when it comes to luring other team's star players away...

From what I understand it's an extremely shady construction to get around Financial Fair Play though. PSG isn't paying the fee, the Qatari government is paying Neymar about €300million to promote the 2022 World Cup, but he has to use the majority of that money to buy out his conctract with Barcelona and sign with PSG. Also, Spanish clubs are forced to have release clauses in their players' contract.

Fifa need to put a cap on worldwide transfers. This market keeps growing and will become unsustainable,

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

ArchangelMadzz said:
Fifa need to put a cap on worldwide transfers. This market keeps growing and will become unsustainable,

I just wish FIFA would completely ban private investments unless it's to save a club from bankruptcy. I just don't see what a cap on a transfer fee would accomplish, they'd just spend it on salaries instead and/or use it to buy extra players.

Also, we need a maximum amount of players you can have and a maximum of players you can loan out at once. Look at what a club like Chelsea does, they simply hoard young talent, loan them out a few years hoping they'll do good and then sell them for a profit. There's 0 intention to have these players make the 1st team, they're just flipping them to fund their 1st team transfers. Chelsea have over 20 players loaned out currently and I'm sure that numbers will rise with the transfer window still being open for almost a month.

poklane said:
ArchangelMadzz said:

I just wish FIFA would completely ban private investments unless it's to save a club from bankruptcy. I just don't see what a cap on a transfer fee would accomplish, they'd just spend it on salaries instead and/or use it to buy extra players.

Also, we need a maximum amount of players you can have and a maximum of players you can loan out at once. Look at what a club like Chelsea does, they simply hoard young talent, loan them out a few years hoping they'll do good and then sell them for a profit. There's 0 intention to have these players make the 1st team, they're just flipping them to fund their 1st team transfers. Chelsea have over 20 players loaned out currently and I'm sure that numbers will rise with the transfer window still being open for almost a month.

I don't mind private investments if there is a 100 million cap on players and a cap on transfer spending as well, I'd say 250 million.  

I feel over time that would mould how much players in certain positions and certain skills cost. No one is going to spend 50 million on siggurdson in that kind of market. Only the highest of the high will go for 100 million. No add ons either. The transfer fee is split between the club and agent fees which cannot exceed more than 20%. 

Yeah there should definitely be a cap on how many players you can have on loan, Chelsea's loan business is ridiculous and shouldn't be allowed. On that note every first team squad should have at least 5 academy players (no idea what the requirement is now) but if there are at least 5 first team slots for graduates they will be more motivated and the less money spent on transfers could mean more money gone into the academy as they will want to make great players that will be in the squad. 

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'