By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - The Football Thread - 17/18 Season

bananaking21 said:
seeing arsenal fans revel and celebrate like crazy over an FA cup is hilarious. but honestly expected.

seriously the whole club is acting like they won a champions league title. you got ozil posting tweets mocking people who made predictions that chelsea would win. you got fans acting like they are the best team in the world, and acting like wenger had a hugely successful season and that this is is prove for him to stay. and i am here just laughing my ass off because this type of shit just proves they arent a "big team" like they all claim arsenal to be.

Man utd under val gal won the FA cup and finished 5th, just like arsenal this season. and you had fans demanding the guys head. they considered it to be a shit season and way under what a team like Man utd should aim for much bigger trophies. Barca had an underwhelming season, though they reached the quarter finals in the CL, finished second and won the spanish cup. and here, arsenal have had one of the most successful seasons in their last 10 years, and are celebrating this nonsense.

just a reminder of the highlights of this season. spurs finished 11 points ahead of arsenal for the first time in over 20 years (or more). Arsenal are a whooping 18 points behind the leaders, chelsea, yet wenger claims its a better season than last year because they have more points. Arsenal finished 5th in the league, out of the champions league next season. speaking of the champions league, they were kicked out on a 10-2 aggerate. after being humiliated 5-1 two times in a row, being knocked out on their asses in the last 16 round for the 7th? 8th? season in a row? oh well that streak has ended now since they are out of the CL (Ha!). their record against the top 6 clubs in the PL this season has been shit, and oh... they won an FA Cup. great season guys!

this whole thing is just prove of what i been saying for ages now. satisfaction with mediocrity (at best) is a staple of wenger, arsenal fans, players and arsenal as a club. i really really do hope wenger is staying. keep dragging that club down, and arsenal fans, keep cheering him as he does so!

(i know, huge ass rant lol, but i had this shit bottled up for a while and only had the time to do it now)

lol I think your obsession about Wenger is hilarious. Just so much salt there. You seem to only come here to mock Wenger and Arsenal, which club do you even support?

I don't think anyone thinks we had a great season, but claiming FA Cup trophy is nonsense is just silly. Of course fans and players are going to celebrate, they won and I don't see why there would be anything wrong with it. Downplaying that is sad. They're not acting like they won the CL title or anything, you just seem to see it that way for whatever reason.

Funny you'd point out Spurs. Good for them to get CL spot again but come on, it's pretty hilarious they get such a hard on for finishing above us. Their best season ever and they still won nothing and also failed pretty bad in CL and Europa league.

Around the Network

So, something related to both football and gaming. Does anyone here play Fifa or PES regularly? Do you play FUT or MyClub? How do you feel about those games?

I've played a lot of FUT and I still love the concept but with Fifa17 I'm just sick of EA. The game was good when it launced, defending was a bit overpowered and in most online games it felt I was playing against Jose Mourinho. But I had fun playing creative football against park the bus, the game was somewhat realistic. Now they patched and patched it and it's back to this arcade nonsense, it's not even the same game.

They also went over the top with special cards. Legends and base cards for actually good players and team of the year cards are nothing special anymore and most people play with the same boring Premier League players :P

The Journey was nice at first but it became very boring and repetitive. I don't like playing against AI anyway. Writing was bad and cheesy too. I did finish it for the achievement and Alex Hunter fut-card but it wasn't worth my time.

It's a shame PES doesn't sell many copies, especially on Xbox One. I'd like to try it this year but there probably won't be many players online.

KiigelHeart said:
So, something related to both football and gaming. Does anyone here play Fifa or PES regularly? Do you play FUT or MyClub? How do you feel about those games?

I've played a lot of FUT and I still love the concept but with Fifa17 I'm just sick of EA. The game was good when it launced, defending was a bit overpowered and in most online games it felt I was playing against Jose Mourinho. But I had fun playing creative football against park the bus, the game was somewhat realistic. Now they patched and patched it and it's back to this arcade nonsense, it's not even the same game.

They also went over the top with special cards. Legends and base cards for actually good players and team of the year cards are nothing special anymore and most people play with the same boring Premier League players :P

The Journey was nice at first but it became very boring and repetitive. I don't like playing against AI anyway. Writing was bad and cheesy too. I did finish it for the achievement and Alex Hunter fut-card but it wasn't worth my time.

It's a shame PES doesn't sell many copies, especially on Xbox One. I'd like to try it this year but there probably won't be many players online.

Played FIFA 17 but snapped my disc in half, but I usually only play Career Mode, sometimes I played online coop or 1v1 with my nephew. Can't stand FUT and 1v1 online against randoms, it's trash IMO. It's always the same, everyone's just using fast players, blindly running along the sideline, it's just garbage IMO.

And yeah, I also disliked the Journey. Only controlling Hunter was boring because the AI is dumb as shit, so it just turned into regular matches but with a lot less control of which players you can use. Also the fact that what you do doesn't impact the story in the slightest sucks. In the pre-season tournament I scored a hattrick against Dortmund and also scored against Real Madrid, only to be loaned out to a Championship club? Fuck off, if I perform like that I should get a chance in the 1st team.

Ka-pi96 said:
Well apparently City have finalised the deal to buy Ederson from Benfica.

Not really sure what to think of that deal. Literally know nothing about the player. Never even heard of him until there were stories about him going to City a few days ago. He is a goalie though, and surely he's got to do better than Bravo... right?

Question will be, where will Joe Hart end up? I think Bravo will settle for massive wages and a Bench job at the age of 34.

But this is the first step in the great Keeper merry go round, watch and the pieces start to all line up.

Hmm, pie.

U-20 World Cup going on now, and quarter final matches have been finalized

4 June
Venezuela-United States
Portugal-Uruguay

5 June
Italy-Zambia
Mexico-England

Great to see some of the up and coming players in this.

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:

I play FIFA! And I don't really like FUT. If there weren't trophies for it I probably wouldn't even touch it. Prefer just playing career mode. I liked the journey, just wish there was more too it. I initially thought it would be a whole career, not just a single season

And defending overpowered online? Ever since they decided to force you to use that shitty tactical defending online it's been severely underpowered if anything!

Whaaat no way, did you play online games before patches? Even the pro players just used their midfielders to give pressure and let the super AI defend for them, it was so overpowered. They nerfed it but AI is still very good at defending unless you chase the ball too much and move defenders out of positions. Literally every other thread on Fifa forum was people complaining about overpowered defence. I'm not the best defender or fifa player and I still keep alot of clean sheets.

poklane said:

Played FIFA 17 but snapped my disc in half, but I usually only play Career Mode, sometimes I played online coop or 1v1 with my nephew. Can't stand FUT and 1v1 online against randoms, it's trash IMO. It's always the same, everyone's just using fast players, blindly running along the sideline, it's just garbage IMO.

Yep I get what you are saying. I liked FUT this year at launch, pace wasn't the end be all and I could actually be succesful playing with Totti, Giroud, Barry and other slow players. But then people complained, because apparently they don't want to be creative, pass the ball and create space with dribbling :/ Now it's pretty much what you described again.. I still use slow players and have moderate success but it just leaves me at disadvantage. Narrow formations are also too effective, everyone uses them. I tried some 4321 and it was easy to score and play super fast but it was also super boring. Width makes the game more enjoyable and creative.

My goal is always to make it to division 1 but I've never been able to reach it.. Past three fifas I only got to division 2 and then come crashing down :P Career Mode might be too relaxing but playing against AI just seems so pointless. Even though the gameplay is better heh.

Augen said:

4 June
Venezuela-United States
Portugal-Uruguay

5 June
Italy-Zambia
Mexico-England

England youth are always good but shame this never translates to main team, they just disappoint. No Saints in the under 20s though, all ours are in the under 21s, we have 5 in that.

Good luck to all teams though.

Hmm, pie.

Ka-pi96 said:
poklane said:

Which club changed it now?

I just saw that Atletico Madrid did it.

To be fair it hasn't changed much and it's not much of a downgrade. But some of the changes have been absolutely hideous *cough* Juve *cough*

This looks like a bad edit of the Californian state seal.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Augen said:

4 June
Venezuela-United States
Portugal-Uruguay

5 June
Italy-Zambia
Mexico-England

It's in Korea, right?

The Venezuelan team is apparently out of this world. Perfect run thus far, a 7-0 victory and even beating Germany. Crazy.

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

Slarvax said:
Augen said:

4 June
Venezuela-United States
Portugal-Uruguay

5 June
Italy-Zambia
Mexico-England

It's in Korea, right?

The Venezuelan team is apparently out of this world. Perfect run thus far, a 7-0 victory and even beating Germany. Crazy.

Yes, it is.

They will be a big test for the United States in the quarter finals.

Germany was knocked out by Zambia, which surprised me.