By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - The Football Thread - 17/18 Season

Messi retires from Argentina. Now we just need to get disenrolled from FIFA and we are done. It's time to clean AFA.

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

Around the Network

I wish all Mexico players had some dignity and announced their retirement after the loss vs Chile. As for Messi, considering the amount of pressure he has and criticism he gets it's not surprinsing. Higuain should retire as well (or never be selected again)

Oh no! If Messi retires, Argentina has a good chance at winning the next world cup. Please stay, Messi!

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

LipeJJ said:

No worries, Germany is (finally) playing very well and historically they normally go very far in competitions, I bet they'll reach at least the semi-finals.

The real question tho: how the hell is Brazil so well placed in those rankings after losing so much recently? Shouldn't even be on top 10...

Well let's say it this way. Out of the last 12 Euros that Germany has participated in they reached the Semis 9 times and the finals 6 times.

Brazil will drop if they continue to play bad. Problem is that they started from a really high Elo and it takes time for them to lose points.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

LipeJJ said:
Oh no! If Messi retires, Argentina has a good chance at winning the next world cup. Please stay, Messi!

Don't worry, we are not going to the next world cup.

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

Around the Network
mZuzek said:
LipeJJ said:

Lol.

Without Messi, Argentina's not making it past quarter finals, in fact they might not even go as far. Despite his occasional bad performances and misses in important games and finals, it's still pretty ridiculously obvious that he's by very far the best player on this team. Without him, Argentina has absolutely no creativity whatsoever.

I do think he'll stay, though. And who knows, with a couple of years now to settle down, maybe this pathetic team can finally get their title.

I was obviously joking, duh.

But in all seriousness, I think their chances of failling again are bigger if he stays; maybe players would stop waiting for him to decide and will actually do it for themselves. I also think the amount of pressure he would/will be under is unfathomable. To be fair, this whole generation feels the pressure and there's no stopping it until they win something, which only makes it worse.

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

BraLoD said:
mZuzek said:
Oh and also, just updating my catalogue of vice-champion campaigns as a fan:

Argentina (since 2006)
- Copa America 2007
- World Cup 2014
- Copa America 2015
- Copa America Centenario 2016

Liverpool (since 2007)
- Champions League 2007
- Premier League 2009
- FA Cup 2012
- Premier League 2014
- League Cup 2016
- Europa League 2016
(with one title being the League Cup in 2012)

It's amazing how lucky I am. And then there's even the cameo appearances (that is, teams I supported on a specific match), such as:

- World Cup 2010 (supporting Netherlands)
- Champions League 2012 (supporting Bayern)
- EURO 2012 (supporting Italy)
- Europa League 2013 (supporting Benfica)
- Champions League 2013 (supporting Dortmund)
- Champions League 2014 (supporting Atletico)
- Champions League 2016 (supporting Atletico)
and many more.

Sound like you are a Vasco fan

Even if he's not, he essentially is by default. Zuzek is the true embodiment of Vasco's soul.

Go NORWAY!.... Fuck, they aren't even on the list.... Yeah Norway sucks when it comes to having a good team... But we do good in winter-sport! Who would pay cash to see people try to play Football with skies? I sure would, hell of a lot more entertaining as well!

PSN: Opticstrike90
Steam: opticstrike90

It saddens me that one of the best players ever has stagefright when it comes to playing finals for his country.
It was obvious during the WC and hearing comments about his performance last night i guess it happened again.

Of course he will just join the team for the next WC again. I suppose it is time for idiots like Maradona to start supporting Messi instead of putting pressure on him sitting in their high seats snorting cocaine.

You want to get the best performance out of someone, you motivate them using whatever triggers them, my guess would be pampering or at least a positive approach with this certain individual.

Coming season I'll be oohing and aaahing his ball control and oversight and selfless brilliance again on the european fields.

It's a different kind of pressure playing for your country. Some players embrace it and others crumble. That's why players like Zidane and Brazilian Ronaldo are held in such high regard.