By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - The Football Thread - 17/18 Season

LurkerJ said:
Wyrdness said:

How am I sympathizing with him? Many great managers in history aren't good people SAF hit Beckham with a boot FFS and has had clashes with a number of players, Brian Clough was notoriously antagonistic, Aragones was a racist etc... All of these guys had situations rise up that they neutralized quickly, Mourinho doesn't seem to be able to do the same because his approach is more of a short term impact option.

This isn't showing him sympathy it's criticizing him get that right.

Huh? I was agreeing with you, completely

My mistake I missed the first line for some reason, it's like it wasn't there, apologies.

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
Sunday Express: 'Bayern Munich boss Pep Guardiola is in advanced talks with Manchester City about taking over from Manuel Pellegrini next season.'

Wut? Don't get me wrong I'd love to see Pep managing City. But Pellegrini just signed a contract extension a couple months ago and we've had a really good start to the season. They shouldn't be thinking about firing him. If they really wanted Pep they shouldn't have renewed Pellegrini's contract, it would have run out at the end of the season when Pep would be coming anyway so it would have been like a mutual parting of ways with Pellegrini. He's done a great job though and now with the extension the only way to get Pep in would be to fire him which he really doesn't deserve.

This isn't unusual. If someone you think is better for your team , you go after them. I doubt Pellegrini will stop doing his best if the talks with Pep are real. He needs to do well so that when he leaves, other clubs will want to sign him.

Ancelotti was replaced despite how well RM was doing and lots of other examples. I get why it seems disrespectful, and it may be, but I doubt Pellegrini or any level-headed manager will take it personally. 

I hope Mourinho stays and clashes with Pep next season, can you imagine the drama?

A good win for Saints even if we were poor the second half.

Hmm, pie.

they shouldn't sack mourinho let him try and build something with some good young and hopefully a few english players,make a nice change for chelsea & mourinho rather than just going out and buying 30-50m players for a quick fix,the fans have won everything in the last 10 years,can't always be on top in england

be interesting to see how big they spend in jan if they are still a way off 4th

Above & Beyond

The Fury said:

yep,should be a real battle in the top ten this year judging by the results,quite a few teams can get europe if they can hold it together

Above & Beyond

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
LurkerJ said:
Ka-pi96 said:
Sunday Express: 'Bayern Munich boss Pep Guardiola is in advanced talks with Manchester City about taking over from Manuel Pellegrini next season.'

Wut? Don't get me wrong I'd love to see Pep managing City. But Pellegrini just signed a contract extension a couple months ago and we've had a really good start to the season. They shouldn't be thinking about firing him. If they really wanted Pep they shouldn't have renewed Pellegrini's contract, it would have run out at the end of the season when Pep would be coming anyway so it would have been like a mutual parting of ways with Pellegrini. He's done a great job though and now with the extension the only way to get Pep in would be to fire him which he really doesn't deserve.

This isn't unusual. If someone you think is better for your team , you go after them. I doubt Pellegrini will stop doing his best if the talks with Pep are real. He needs to do well so that when he leaves, other clubs will want to sign him.

Ancelotti was replaced despite how well RM was doing and lots of other examples. I get why it seems disrespectful, and it may be, but I doubt Pellegrini or any level-headed manager will take it personally. 

I hope Mourinho stays and clashes with Pep next season, can you imagine the drama?

It's more the contract renewal that annoys me about it. If the plan was always to get Pep next season why renew his contract?

And if Real Madrid think Benitez is going to do a better job there than Ancelotti did... well then they've completely lost the plot

A safety net? Pep is hard to get, lots of clubs are eyeing him. If they didn't renew for Pellegrini and Pep deal slipped from their hands, they'd be left with no coach.

Hypothetically speaking, If I was Pellegrini, I'd rather they'd renew my contract before replacing me because I'd be compensated for the broken contract with a couple of millions $$$$.

Keep in mind, if they didn't renew his contract he'd leave with no compensation. I think it's a win-win situation, I see why you may disagree though.

As for RM, Perez realized Bale isn't gonna shine under Carlo, Gareth was unhappy and always complaining. Perez had to do something, giving the amount of money he paid to get him to the club. "Giving Bale what he wants" has been a hot topic question for Rafa since he joined RM. 

zuvuyeay said:
The Fury said:

yep,should be a real battle in the top ten this year judging by the results,quite a few teams can get europe if they can hold it together

Honestly, I'm happy with 8th every year. No Europa to put up with and no pressure to do well in Champions League, we certainly don't have the squad for Champions League.

On Mourinho, my view is something is going on and it's just down to confidence. Jose doesn't come well off to the press, he's arrogant and I think if he were to show support to his players, they'd play better and stop making mistakes. Instead he mostly blames the refs or doesn't talk at all.

Hmm, pie.

So Costa will not be punished for this.

At least we will not have to hear Mourinho crying about it.

LurkerJ said:

Disgusting. A kick to the chest, easy 6+ games ban especially when you see what he's done in the past.

LurkerJ said:

he has got a stadium ban apparently so you might here some moaning

Above & Beyond