Forums - Gaming Discussion - Digital Foundry confirms MK8 720p, No AA

*sigh*

"Fist-sized pixels" 190 35.78%

"But it looks AMAZI... 326 61.39%

Total:516
padib said:
vivster said:
padib said:

The hypocrisy is an illusion, we are not a symbiotic mind with mirror image abilities.

I don't believe you. Every Nintendo fan I ever met said the game looked AMAZING. That's what a hive mind would say.

Okay then, we are a hive-mind. You got me. How did you know though? (We must do a bad job hiding it. I blame Kerrigan)

Also, to me the game still looks amazing, because I don't see those flaws you refer to. At least I haven't noticed them so far in games, because I don't personally pay attention to that in such great detail.

From what I saw from the Nintendo Directs, the game does look great.

But Rol is right, might as well whip out the ole' quote links.

Nice that you don't notice it. Some people though own a PC and a 1080p monitor. They're used to crisp images in full detail. Now imagine someone like that suddenly to be confronted with this.

No this does not look amazing. This looks like something I had to suffer through on the weak piece of hardware that was the PS3. Yet some people want to make me believe this is somehow next gen. If this is next gen I have every right to be disappointed. PS4's hardware is already disappointing enough.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
vivster said:

I started it as an innocent "posting a fact" thread. But the people turned it to the "nintendo fans hypocrisy" thread. It's totally out of my hands now.

Also I'm lazy.

I am lazy too, so I guess this means that the hypocrites can celebrate. They won't get kicked out of the Mushroom Kingdom, simply because nobody can be bothered to identify them.

Not that identifying them would change anything. If hypocrites were afraid of being identifiesd as such they wouldn't hypocrite.

I saw a fellow user once banned for calling someone out for what someone else said in a different thread. Not going to take my chances.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

padib said:

Viv, it's Nintendo's next gen.

I haven't read the DF article honestly because I'm lazy (can't touch this), but I doubt this will happen often, and I didn't notice it at all in the Nintendo Directs which had many objects on screen.

Honestly, just wait till the game comes out before panicking, I think you may be blowing this out of proportion in an honest way.

You know me, that's what I always do. Remember my meltdown before FFXIII-3 where I thought it would be the first bad FF? I played it and it was quite good and rounded up the trilogy perfectly.

I said it lots in this thread too that I will probably have fun with MK8 and with the WiiU.

Still, let me mourn over the fact that the games aren't looking as good as they could. Which is one thing I really loath in gaming. Games not reaching their full potential because they're held back by trivial hardware problems that could've been avoided.

ICStats said:
hsrob said:

56 reviews saying the game is great, most also stating it looks great. One of the highest rated games this year.

1 review stating the game has no AA (most of us knew it was 720p) and people start losing their minds, with the predictable bevvy of naysayers saying I told you the WiiU sucks etc. etc.

People need to make their own judgement, in person, about how the game looks if this kind of thing really matters to them. I sincerely hope that most of the people in this thread 'genuinely complaining' are trolls, because if this kind of thing affects truly affects your decision to purchase a game like this, then I am sorry for you.

You have to allow for the bias because it's a Mario game.  Reviewers aren't expecting cutting edge graphics in a MK game.

LOL

* "The new art direction and stunning visuals really go a long way to showing off every nuance of every level, and I'd go so far as to say that it's one of the best-looking games out there right now on any system."

* "Its also worth remembering that Mario Kart 8 is the series first outing in the wonderful world of HD, so you're probably left wondering exactly what the game looks like on a glorious HD screen. Truth be told, it looks absolutely fabulous, blowing any of its predecessors out of the water. So much so that other Mario Kart games just feel shallow in comparison to this one. HD provides clarity during races and new effects out on the track, water looks lovely. In short, Mario Kart 8 is a treat on the eyes."

* "But it’s the visuals that mark the biggest jump in the series; because they look incredible."

* "Mario Kart 8's graphics are some of the best I've seen in a game made by Nintendo."

* "Mario Kart 8 also marks the series first foray into the HD era and it does a masterful job. It’s one of the, if not the best looking games on the Wii U to date. The new tracks are just awe inspiring and will make you want to go back and watch the highlights. Nintendo has always been a master of color and the purity of the color within Mario Kart 8 is something to marvel at. I’d put Mario Kart 8 up against almost any game on the market today, it’s that gorgeous."

* "It may not be the photorealism that seems to be the pursuit of other major developers, but Mario Kart 8 is the most gorgeous looking video game... EVER!"

* "Outside of the shiny HD graphics, the big new addition for Mario Kart 8 is Mario Kart TV. Technically, it is very impressive."

* "The graphics throughout all 32 tracks are stunning and not just in a ‘not bad for the Wii U’ kind of a way. Nintendo’s peerless art design and superb lighting effects makes the game as visually striking as any other this generation."

* "Mario Kart 8 is easily the best looking WiiU game to date, and it also does a great job of being a showcase piece for the console. This game looks so good at times it's amazing to see what a first party development team is capable of considering all the derision directed toward the power of Nintendo's console. The courses, character models, and even the periphery are incredibly detailed, all while pushing some impressive visual effects on the side, like when coming out of water, or the fireworks present on the Rainbow Road N64 track."

RolStoppable said:

I don't think it's an illusion. But if the claim is that hypocrisy is what this thread is about, then vivster should make a compilation of quotes.

Quotes? No way! Everyone knows that every single Nintendo, PlayStation, and Xbox fan has the exact same opinion as everyone in their own fandom. Begone with this individual opinion heresy.

Seriously though, he's absolutely right about quotes. If it really bothers some people here what so-and-so was saying in another thread, call them out on it. This site is small-scale enough...and it rids the thread of this pointless generalization.

NNID: Zephyr25 / PSN: Zephyr--25 / Switch: SW-4450-3680-7334

Around the Network
vivster said:
Justagamer said:
What's the motivation from certain console owners with this uncontrollable urge to bash mario kart 8? There sure is a lot of guys trying their hardest to downplay this game, for whatever reason. 720p and no aa? What's it matter to you guys, you aren't going to play it anyway, so why are you trying so hard?

No one is bashing MK8.

This thread is to highlight Nintendo fan hypocracy. Remember them dancing in the street when it was "announced" that MK would have 1080p60? Parading themselves, gloating about the hidden power of the WiiU. All the while always pretending as if graphics don't matter.

Also it matters greatly to me because I have to buy this WiiU soon, just to play its games. Miyamoto is personally forcing me to do so. So I have all the right to complain about what a weak piece of hardware the WiiU is.

It would have been nice for it to be in 1080p, no doubt. And as far as a thread about hypocrite Nintendo fans, well, that type of thread can be made everyday about fans of all of them, so, really what's the point? 

vivster said:
Justagamer said:
What's the motivation from certain console owners with this uncontrollable urge to bash mario kart 8? There sure is a lot of guys trying their hardest to downplay this game, for whatever reason. 720p and no aa? What's it matter to you guys, you aren't going to play it anyway, so why are you trying so hard?

No one is bashing MK8.

This thread is to highlight Nintendo fan hypocracy. Remember them dancing in the street when it was "announced" that MK would have 1080p60? Parading themselves, gloating about the hidden power of the WiiU. All the while always pretending as if graphics don't matter.

Also it matters greatly to me because I have to buy this WiiU soon, just to play its games. Miyamoto is personally forcing me to do so. So I have all the right to complain about what a weak piece of hardware the WiiU is.

You are bashing MK8. And nobody is forcing you to buy a WiiU. If you don't want to buy it, don't buy it.

So, this thread is to highlight Nintendo fan hypocracy, is it? You started the thread. Yet...

vivster said:
RolStoppable said:

I don't think it's an illusion. But if the claim is that hypocrisy is what this thread is about, then vivster should make a compilation of quotes.

I started it as an innocent "posting a fact" thread. But the people turned it to the "nintendo fans hypocrisy" thread. It's totally out of my hands now.

vivster said:
padib said:

The hypocrisy is an illusion, we are not a symbiotic mind with mirror image abilities.

I don't believe you. Every Nintendo fan I ever met said the game looked AMAZING. That's what a hive mind would say.

vivster said:

Nice that you don't notice it. Some people though own a PC and a 1080p monitor. They're used to crisp images in full detail. Now imagine someone like that suddenly to be confronted with this.

[MK8 no-AA Meme.jpg]

No this does not look amazing. This looks like something I had to suffer through on the weak piece of hardware that was the PS3. Yet some people want to make me believe this is somehow next gen. If this is next gen I have every right to be disappointed. PS4's hardware is already disappointing enough.

If console gaming is not up to snuff for you, then don't play on consoles. Personally, I was delighted when I heard about the 1080p 60fps claim, it was something I hadn't expected, and was very excited about. But when the confirmation came that it was 720p, I was disappointed but not bothered, it's absolutely fine. Is that hypocracy? I don't think so. And don't call me part of a hive mind.

You may have started this thread just by posting a 'fact', but since then you have gone out of your way to try and persuade that MK8 looks awful by posting pictures blown up for people to view on screens theyre not going to be playing it on, at a distance they're not going to be playing at.

This is sour grapes - if it's not up to your standards, then just forget buying your WiiU and shut up about it. Don't go spoiling it for others by trying to nitpick things they really are not going to notice while they're playing the game. Let the rest of us make our own decision without calling us hypocrites or a hive mind.

vivster said:
padib said:
vivster said:
padib said:

Okay then, we are a hive-mind. You got me. How did you know though? (We must do a bad job hiding it. I blame Kerrigan)

Also, to me the game still looks amazing, because I don't see those flaws you refer to. At least I haven't noticed them so far in games, because I don't personally pay attention to that in such great detail.

From what I saw from the Nintendo Directs, the game does look great.

But Rol is right, might as well whip out the ole' quote links.

I agree with you, how can anybody find this amazing is beyond me, when lastgen games even looked betterbut s, as for the ps4 hardware, it's not that amazing, but sony is giving us the best choice and there exclusives are almost looking as good as anything on PC

spadesrole said:

I agree with you, how can anybody find this amazing is beyond me, when lastgen games even looked betterbut s, as for the ps4 hardware, it's not that amazing, but sony is giving us the best choice and there exclusives are almost looking as good as anything on PC

The first image is an incredibly poor representation of infamous (i mean really, a close space screenshot for an open world game?) and the second screen is from an Xbox 360 game lol...

Edit: Sorry, i just realized that came off way harsher than intended, i just meant to say if you want to show off infamous show it in a large space with the particle effects going :) the second image is from 360 game though :P Driveclib would be an example of a PS4 driving game :)

Hedra42 said:
vivster said:
Justagamer said:

No one is bashing MK8.

You are bashing MK8. And nobody is forcing you to buy a WiiU. If you don't want to buy it, don't buy it.

So, this thread is to highlight Nintendo fan hypocracy, is it? You started the thread. Yet...

vivster said:
RolStoppable said:

vivster said:
padib said:

vivster said:

[MK8 no-AA Meme.jpg]

If console gaming is not up to snuff for you, then don't play on consoles. Personally, I was delighted when I heard about the 1080p 60fps claim, it was something I hadn't expected, and was very excited about. But when the confirmation came that it was 720p, I was disappointed but not bothered, it's absolutely fine. Is that hypocracy? I don't think so. And don't call me part of a hive mind.

You may have started this thread just by posting a 'fact', but since then you have gone out of your way to try and persuade that MK8 looks awful by posting pictures blown up for people to view on screens theyre not going to be playing it on, at a distance they're not going to be playing at.

This is sour grapes - if it's not up to your standards, then just forget buying your WiiU and shut up about it. Don't go spoiling it for others by trying to nitpick things they really are not going to notice while they're playing the game. Let the rest of us make our own decision without calling us hypocrites or a hive mind.

He's not blowing anything go tot he DF article and look at you pics yourself, when you zoom in to mkae full screen thats how the game looks, its a jaggy mess.