By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Rare cuts senior staff in studio 'methodology' change

UK developer Rare has suffered a number of high profile redundancies following the decision to 'change development process' at the studio.

Sources close to the Microsoft-owned studio indicated that just under 20 employees are set to depart, including veteran programmer Chris Sutherland, who has worked on Rare games for more than 20-years.

During his distinguished career Sutherland acted as lead programmer on Battletoads, as well as all three Donkey Kong Country and Banjo-Kazooie games. He's also known as the 'voice' of the latter's bear and bird protagonists.

CVG sources indicate that designer Gavin Price will also leave Rare, after a 15-year career which saw him work on Viva Pinata, Grabbed by the Ghoulies, Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts and a number of unannounced, cancelled projects.

Both Sutherland and Price worked on the Kinect Sports games.

In a statement provided to CVG, Microsoft confirmed the staff cuts and called them part of a deeper 'methodology' change at the developer.

It said: "At Xbox, our goal is to constantly create new fun, social and interactive entertainment experiences.

"As part of Rare's commitment to this goal, we have made a decision to change our development process and methodology at Rare to best support our future projects, this has led to us reviewing the skills and the makeup of our development teams in our business. Rare continues to invest in our people and future projects."

The job cuts come after the release of Kinect Sports Rivals, the hallmark title of Xbox One's Kinect, which Microsoft announced this month will no longer be bundled with every console.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/464142/rare-cuts-senior-staff-in-studio-methodology-change/

Around the Network

Since their platform changed, and their methodology changed, and their staff changed, so too should their name change as well. This studio doesn't deserve hold the name and legacy of the great Rare of the 90s.

Pitiful.

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016

Here's an update:

Sources close to the Microsoft-owned studio indicated that just under 20 employees are set to depart, including veteran programmer Chris Sutherland, who has worked on Rare games for more than 20-years.

During his distinguished career Sutherland acted as lead programmer on Battletoads, as well as all three Donkey Kong Country and Banjo-Kazooie games. He's also known as the 'voice' of the latter's bear and bird protagonists.

CVG sources indicate that designer Gavin Price will also leave Rare, after a 15-year career which saw him work on Viva Pinata, Grabbed by the Ghoulies, Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts and a number of unannounced, cancelled projects.

The PS5 Exists. 

So what will the people left do now? Brown shooters? I can't imagine there's any hope left for Rare. A disgrace.

Yep.

fleischr said:
Since their platform changed, and their methodology changed, and their staff changed, so too should their name change as well. This studio doesn't deserve hold the name and legacy of the great Rare of the 90s.

Pitiful.

That's funny, that's exactly what I thought as I entered this thread. The studio really needs a name change. 

The founders are gone, the composers are gone, the directors and designers are gone, and, most tragically, the magic is gone.

Around the Network
Veknoid_Outcast said:
fleischr said:

Pitiful.

That's funny, that's exactly what I thought as I entered this thread. The studio really needs a name change. 

The founders are gone, the composers are gone, the directors and designers are gone, and, most tragically, the magic is gone.

Exactly. A name change would give them a fresh start and allow them to sell the Perfect Dark, Banjo Kazooie, and Conker franchises back to Nintendo -- where they belonged in the first place.

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016

kekrot said:
So what will the people left do now? Brown shooters? I can't imagine there's any hope left for Rare. A disgrace.

This comment would be right at home in a Killzone 2 or Resistance 3 thread, but this is 2014, I cant think of a single shooter that you seem to be describing. 

foodfather said:
kekrot said:

This comment would be right at home in a Killzone 2 or Resistance 3 thread, but this is 2014, I cant think of a single shooter that you seem to be describing. 

I don't really play those kind of shooters nowadays but after they dismissed the Kinect what will MS make them do to sell the X1?

Yep.

What's going on at Microsoft? I'm worried.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

If only MS let them make the games like the ones during n64... I doubt any of this would have happened

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850