By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Crytek: 8GB RAM Can Be Easily Filled Up, Will Surely Be Limiting Factor on PS4/Xbox One

Zappykins said:
daredevil.shark said:
Contradicting cryteck hits again.

http://www.gamerzines.com/playstation/news-ps3/crytek-next-gen-8gb-ram.html

I don't see how.  They said the MINIUM needed to be 8 gigs.  They got the minimum, now they said it's going to be the limiting factor before other resources.

If they had gotten 16 gigs and then complained, then it would have been something.

Given their history they would say, 16 GB is not enough.

Around the Network
mutantsushi said:
SvennoJ said:
When you check how much memory a game uses in windows it doesn't include the video ram, and probably also not the disk cache that windows is using to help your game run smoothly. My laptop has 3.1GB in use while just browsing vgchartz. 

Disk cache? PS#Bone have disk cache in addition to 8GB as well, if you really think it's productive to go there.
Memory usage of a web browser on top of general purpose operating system is nearly irrelevant to console gaming.
OK maybe not to unoptimized Crytek games.

SvennoJ said:
I hope this gen will bring more variety to the worlds, procedural generation for geometry, trees, clouds etc. You need a lot of memory for that.

Seems to me like procedural generation would reduce memory usage, one texture/geometry can be transformed into 1000. 
PS4's 10x GPGPU advantage may be as much about decoupling from memory bandwidth needs as augmenting the CPU.
Obviously that doesn't really apply when discussing the XBone.

It will reduce the size of the game on disk. You need to store all those unique trees, geometry and texture variations in memory first before rendering. It is too inefficient to generate them on the fly for each draw operation.

What kind of additional disk cache do consoles have? My task manager informs me that (next to 3.1GB in use) Windows is using 3.2GB standby memory, containing cached data and code that is not actively in use, plus another 148MB of modified memory that hasn't been written to disk yet. Start the same program a second time, it starts a lot faster, not so on consoles.
It's a lot more work to get your code to load efficiently on consoles without a big fat bloated memory manager backing you up.

VanceIX said:

8gb only gets filled up if the devs are lazy asses that refuse to optimize their games in any shape or form.

No, optimisation is using all the resources effeciantly as possible. So naturally an optimised game will use all available RAM. Leaving unused RAM would mean it's unoptimised as it's leaving resources unused. Developers can alwayse use more of everything, you can never have too much there will alwayse be ways of using it.

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

I'd love it if they focused on making fun games rather than pretty ones, Crysis was a bore.

Sony and ms said games only use like 5 or 6 gigs not the full 8 gigs

VITA 32 GIG CARD.250 GIG SLIM & 160 GIG PHAT PS3

Around the Network
zarx said:
VanceIX said:

8gb only gets filled up if the devs are lazy asses that refuse to optimize their games in any shape or form.

No, optimisation is using all the resources effeciantly as possible. So naturally an optimised game will use all available RAM. Leaving unused RAM would mean it's unoptimised as it's leaving resources unused. Developers can alwayse use more of everything, you can never have too much there will alwayse be ways of using it.

That's one massive game where you're using that much RAM. I can assure you, most devs don't have the budget to make such power-hungry games. For example, if I were playing LittleBigPlanet on my PS4, what is gonna use up 8gb of RAM, unless they just fill it up with random garbage? Games that require such heavy use of RAM even after optimizing are far off for now, I assure you. 

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

VanceIX said:

That's one massive game where you're using that much RAM. I can assure you, most devs don't have the budget to make such power-hungry games. For example, if I were playing LittleBigPlanet on my PS4, what is gonna use up 8gb of RAM, unless they just fill it up with random garbage? Games that require such heavy use of RAM even after optimizing are far off for now, I assure you. 

Pre caching assets to avoid any loading, while also allowing much greater asset veriaty and much larger levels with more interaction. Just look at the Witness a game that uses mostly static inviroments with relatively simple assets, from an indie studio with a handful of employees. Yet it uses all available RAM on the PS4 already because they load as much of the game as possible so as to avoid load stutter while having a seamless game world. And they also do neat things like having hundreds of different sound samples for footsteps on every different meterial in the game so you don't get the usual repeating sound effects.

It doesn't require a big budget to use avaiable computing resources.

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

DialgaMarine said:
daredevil.shark said:
Contradicting cryteck hits again.

http://www.gamerzines.com/playstation/news-ps3/crytek-next-gen-8gb-ram.html

I was about to mention that. I specifically remember them saying they wanted next gen consoles to have 8GB, and now they want more? I mean come on. Their games really arent that impressive to begin with; what the hell does it matter what they want?

I can't see any contradiction here. They asked for 8 GB or more. Now they say they will use all easily. It definitely makes sense.

bubblegamer said:
If PS4 won't last long, then poor X1 is not even enough to start with, as that one is not even as strong as the PS4 is.

I'm guessing you didn't read anything.

He said the amount of RAM is going to be a limiting factor. That's something PS4 and X1 have an equal amount of, albeit faster on PS4.

This article is basically Crytek boasting of how easily they can use the full capabilities of these new consoles. But these consoles are still capable of plenty.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

I'll take the word of someone who knows his shit rather than the guys who are famous for sucking at optimization.