By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Orange box breaks a million on 360? 1.5 on 360/ps3? (valve interview)

From gaf, enjoy vgchartz.

http://www.tomsgames.com/us/2008/02/21/gdc_will_steam_add_movies_music/

Great interview. Sheds some light on how strong the PC gaming market is, Steam is adding movies and music (maybe)

[quote]Rob Wright: Of the 15 million members on Steam, how many are actually buying downloadable content versus simply purchasing a game and activating it through Steam?

Doug Lombari: Well, it's split. There are still a lot of people that will buy the Orange Box via retail because they want the physical box, and that's fine with us; it's still the same price. But the number of people downloading games through steam is certainly growing. It's definitely moving in that direction. And the funny thing is, it's often not Valve titles like the Orange Box that Steam subscribers are buying for their first download. It's other games like indie titles or Garry's Mod, for example. And Audiosurf has been a huge hit; it's the number one game on Steam now by a wide margin, blowing past the Orange Box and Counter-Strike. And that's great. We love to see that.

Rob Wright: You released The Orange Box for both the PC and the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 consoles. Were you happy with the business the console versions did, and how did it compare to the game's PC sales?

Doug Lombari: We were very happy with both the Xbox 360 and PS3 sales. I think the Xbox 360 version did just over a million, while the PS3 [released later in December] version did a few hundred thousand copies. So I think when all is said and done, The Orange Box will have sold about 1.5 million copies on the console, which is great. But the game's PC sales were much stronger.

Rob Wright: How much stronger, exactly?

Doug Lombari: I'd say significantly stronger, at least a two-digit percentage increase over the console sales. And that includes Steam sales, retail sales, and now individual sales of Portal, Team Fortress 2, and Half-Life 2: Episode 2. So when you take the PC numbers for The Orange Box a la carte, they're significantly higher.

Rob Wright: So it wasn't such a bad year after all for PC games, despite the NPD Group numbers about declining retail sales for 2007.

Doug Lombari: Well, the NPD numbers are just a snapshot. In America, there's no doubt there's a problem with PC game retail sales. But look at other countries like Germany, where sales are much stronger compared to the consoles in a lot of cases. So you have to look at the bigger picture; just look at what Blizzard did alone in 2007. And you also have to look at how money is changing hands and how games are being distributed for the PC games business. The PC is way more evolved in that respect, and digital distribution is a big part of it.

Rob Wright: What about piracy? Do you think that's had a major impact on PC games sales here in the States?

Doug Lombari: Well, piracy is bad, of course. But I don't think it's as big of a problem, at least for us, as people think. The majority of gamers still want to do the right thing and pay for their games. There will always be pirated games, movies and music. But the vast majority of gamers are honest and aren't going to steal the games.

Rob Wright: So what's next for Steam this year? Are you looking at different types of content?

Doug Lombari: We're looking at more casual games and international games. And we're also looking at other types of content like video and music. We're definitely having those conversations and meetings, and we're reaching out to folks with other types of digital entertainment. I think before the end of the year, you'll probably see some pilot programs with other digital entertainment on Steam.

Note: Some games in my collection are no longer owned, but have owned.

Around the Network

Maybe they can steam Portal to Wiiware.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

the graphics would get tarded up, not sure why they should bother.. Would probably be too big for wii ware anyways.

1 mil on x360, seems in line with us really, of course they are talking about shipped

Neos - "If I'm posting in this thread it's just for the lulz."
Tag by the one and only Fkusumot!

goldenpp72 said:
the graphics would get tarded up, not sure why they should bother.. Would probably be too big for wii ware anyways.

There is this thing that companies are interested in doing, and it's called "earning money."  

Around the Network

at the rate orange box sells it wont hit a million on 360, according to vgchartz. Which leads me to believe something is wrong.

Maybe euro data.

goldenpp72 said:
at the rate orange box sells it wont hit a million on 360, according to vgchartz. Which leads me to believe something is wrong.

Maybe euro data.

you are so silly, silly silly silly!

also, go back to GAF. i mean it. 

Neos - "If I'm posting in this thread it's just for the lulz."
Tag by the one and only Fkusumot!

Well it is the best FPS on consoles in my opinion..=/.

It needs to see a price drop on PS3 so I wouldn't mind picking it up :P

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

It is the Best FPS EVER on every platform.
That simple.