By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Xbox one will catch up soon with PS4 and then outsell it in the USA

Aura7541 said:

360's performance is not indicative of how the X1 will do.

I agree with you on this and really don't see why people keep bringing it up.  History has shown that it doesn't matter how well the previous console has sold, it doesn't mean the successor will sell as well.  PS2 was ahead of the Xbox and Gamecube by well over 100m, while the PS3 was outsold by the 360 most of last gen and only overtook it near the end, while the Wii has outsold it by around 20m.  If PS3 sales were based on success of its predecessor, then the PS3 would have sold over 200m in comparison to the Wii and 360. 

Around the Network
TheDrill said:
BeElite said:
TheDrill said:

That doesn't discredit at all what I have said, you can see for yourself how close ps4 and X1 numbers are in US.

Reality discredits everything you say.   Last month PS4 out sold X1 by nearly double in US, may ndp will be ever worse.  In case you havent noticed things are only getting worse for X1 not better, any hopes for recovery and the unlikly catch up are just that hopes. 

nothing anywhere points to a x1 recovery, in case you havent noticed. 

I am not talking about a single month, but overall.

No matter how good the PS4 seemed to sell a few weeks, the facts are:

X1 is very close in sales to PS4 in the US

X360 was very strong last generation in US and UK, and latest charts show that it's still the case

While selling less units Titanfall still managed to sell a lot more than Infamous did, or any other game, this encourages devs to devel exclusively for X1, as their games sell a lot  better there.

I agree at one point

Price decrease will favor the XB1 market share, help reversal the situation to a degree. The gap will be smaller at price parity than it would have been at price disparity.

I disagree at one point

The price decrease will matter in US, UK, and possibly some other English speaking markets, but

a) this will hardly have any effect in the rest of the world.

b) this is still not enough to recoup the damage done and claim over 50% of the market share. Not going to happen. The best case scenario I can see for XB1 in US (and UK), is a shrunken gap and stay steady around 45-50%, but strictly less than half. There will be (virtually) no markets XB1 will lead this generation, although at varying degrees.

Playstation 5 vs XBox Series Market Share Estimates

Regional Analysis  (only MS and Sony Consoles)
Europe     => XB1 : 23-24 % vs PS4 : 76-77%
N. America => XB1 :  49-52% vs PS4 : 48-51%
Global     => XB1 :  32-34% vs PS4 : 66-68%

Sales Estimations for 8th Generation Consoles

Next Gen Consoles Impressions and Estimates

TheDrill said:
BeElite said:
TheDrill said:

That doesn't discredit at all what I have said, you can see for yourself how close ps4 and X1 numbers are in US.

Reality discredits everything you say.   Last month PS4 out sold X1 by nearly double in US, may ndp will be ever worse.  In case you havent noticed things are only getting worse for X1 not better, any hopes for recovery and the unlikly catch up are just that hopes. 

X360 was very strong last generation in US and UK, and latest charts show that it's still the case

While selling less units Titanfall still managed to sell a lot more than Infamous did, or any other game, this encourages devs to devel exclusively for X1, as their games sell a lot  better there.

Months add up.  getting doubled in ndp often enough proves things are not close in the US.

last gen is meningless to current one.

TF is a game in a genre that domminating the market, ISS is one that hardly exists. You dont even have full sales numbers given digital is a huge part these days,

Also TF is hardly killing ISS in sales, its 1 and 2 if im not mistaken.  The game is encouraging NO ONE to make X1 exclusives, as its NOT and exclusive cought its on 360 cought PC cought TF2 will be on PS.  

You posted nothing of merit to support your opinion.

TheDrill said:
BeElite said:
TheDrill said:

Titanfall was sold on 3 platforms.

I do believe Infamous: SS outsold Xbone Titanfall on April in the US.

Nope not gonna happen. The PS4 will continue to sell above the Xbox One. I don't think there is much hype for the Kinectless XBO.

Around the Network

Unfortunately I dont agree. PS4 has only been outsold a few discrete weeks sinces launch in USA, the rest/majority it has not been.

Unfornately think this thread is the last hope for anything postive in the playstation v xbox wars for xbox fanboys.

Shadow1980 said:

As of April NPD, the PS4 is 497,000 units in the lead LTD and 300k in the lead YTD. That is not an insignificant gap, and that gap will obviously widen come May NPD, perhaps by well over another 100k units, putting the YTD gap at around 600k. The XBO would have to have an absolutely massive rebound to close that 600k gap "soon." And if we assume "soon" to mean "by year's end," if the PS4 averages at least 250k per month from June through October, that means the XBO would have to nearly triple its April figures every month just to erase the YTD gap by time November rolls around, and would have to outsell the PS4 by at least another 300k in the Nov.+Dec. period. Even if the PS4 only averages 200k per month for the remaining non-holiday months. The XBO would still have to have more than double (specifically a 117% increase, appropriate considering Halo's importance to Xbox) its sales to erase the YTD gap. But I have serious doubts that the Kinect-less XBO will boost sales that much for reasons: 1) it's nowhere near as good of a deal as the Titanfall bundle (which itself failed to outsell the PS4), 2) it's technically not even a price cut, and 3) most importantly, comparable price cuts early in other system's lives rarely result in such large and permanent boosts in baseline sales. They sometimes give the appearance of such boosts, but that's usually due to the price cut occurring in approximate conjunction with some other factor, usually major software releases or tax season. Once such confounding factors go away, we often still see solid boosts, but nothing exceeding a two-fold increase in average sales. Perhaps the biggest increases we ever saw in the U.S. last generation due to price cuts was the release of the PS3 Slim in 2009, which resulted in some months immediately following the release of said SKU having over double or even triple the sales of the months prior to its release, but it was hardly anything consistent. It gave the PS3 a large enough boost to soundly beat the 360 in September and gave it a very strong holiday quarter, beating the 360 in October and December. Here's how it sold in quarterly terms in 2008 through 2010:

(Note: Q2 2008 saw the release of MGS4, which pushed the PS3 to 405k units in June, half the sales of that quarter.)

As we see, the PS3 Slim did help baseline sales a good bit in 2010 in addition to giving it a strong holiday quarter in 2009, but the baseline sales when averaged out over time were hardly the double the XBO would need at minimum to start closing the gap between itself and the PS4. Overall, the PS3 sold 42% more units in the first half of 2010 than in the first half of 2009, and in the second half of 2010 it was actually down from the same period in 2009, enough to where it was barely up overall for the year (the release of the 360 Slim probably had a lot to do with that). So, the Kinect-less SKU will likely provide a solid boost to sales, and in June it may even beat the PS4 for the first time this year, but I don't think it will provide anything so strong and permanent to even do as much as keep it above 200k per month from July through October. Given historical precedent, the best we should hope for is an average of 150-175k per month at most. This will reduce the rate the PS4/XBO gap increases, but will obviously not reverse the trend.

Overcoming the momentum of another better-selling system in the same generation is not an easy thing to accomplish. The PS3, despite having more rapid growth in its first several years than the 360, still couldn't ever close the gap between the two, and in 2010 the PS3's fate of coming in last in the U.S. for the generation was sealed. But with the right games and right pricing it's not impossible to become the new sales leader later in the generation. We saw the PS1 finally overtaking the N64 in the U.S. when FFVII was released, even though the PS1 had been languishing with mediocre sales for two years and the N64 was outselling it for a year straight since its release in August 1996. Also, the 360 has ultimately outsold the Wii in the U.S. due to better software support giving it stronger legs, a newer Red-Ring-free SKU at a good price making it even more attractive, and the waning sales of the Wii providing an opening as customers who had their Wii fix decided to supplement things with a more conventional gaming machine. However, the PS1 and N64 were very different systems, as were the 360 and Wii. Right now the PS4 and XBO share some 90% of the same library. In fact, exclusives are now the sole difference between the two systems (or at least the only difference that matters for most consumers). Thus, it's incumbent on MS to convince gamers that their selection of exclusives is just so damn awesome that they absolutely must have an XBO. That'll be tough to pull off, and given MS's track record they may even fail at this crucial task, but it's still possible. But the longer they wait the tougher it will be to overcome the PS4's momentum. It's not quite a runaway for Sony yet, but it will be before too long unless something changes besides the introduction of the Kinect-less SKU.

+1

lmaobox said:
TheDrill said:
BeElite said:
TheDrill said:

Overall sales, Titanfall sold more units on X1 than Infamous SS on PS4.
Titanfall sits at 1.1 million in the US

while Infamous is only at 0.6 million.

Titanfall is still top 10 in the US.

TheDrill said:
lmaobox said:
TheDrill said:
BeElite said:
TheDrill said:

Overall sales, Titanfall sold more units on X1 than Infamous SS on PS4.
Titanfall sits at 1.1 million in the US

while Infamous is only at 0.6 million.

Titanfall is still top 10 in the US.

Titanfall is only in the top 10 if you include the 360, Xbone and PC version. With the Xbone alone, it's selling worse than ISS. Currently, we don't know how many titanfalls were sold on the Xbone, because Microsoft is being hush-hush about it. The numbers are probably very embarassing and lower than Infamous SS.

Also, stop using VGChartz numbers. Everyone knows that they're false. They're about as accurate as any random dude's prediction.

I hate to agree but that's true, the xb1 numbers are hopelessly broken. They even had a cancelled game selling a ton of copies ffs. Ludicrous.