By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why the Wii U is the worst Nintendo console of all time (Gamecube comparison)

rakugakist said:
amak11 said:
helghan-imperial said:

plus it has no trophy/achievement system which sucks,c'mon nintendo get with the times! 

Achievement systems... pointless. I have been saying this for years. 

Pointless to you.  That doesn't mean other people don't like them.

It's pointless to me too, for whatever that's worth.

Around the Network

I do agree with some of what you say, but the biggest issue of your OP for me is the very last sentence:

"Sales are justly deserved in my opinion."

At this time a year ago I agreed with that statement wholeheartedly, but today it's a completely different situation for me.  Although I do still think the price needs to come down about fifty bucks or so, the WiiU library makes mincemeat out of the PS4/One's at this juncture from a quality standpoint (my opinion) - and that's with far less support to boot.  

To be frank, it's the successful sales of the PS4 and XB1 that are somewhat baffling to me considering the games they have so far.  Different strokes, I guess...

reggin_bolas said:
I just did the inflation calculation and 200 back then equals 266 today. So that's still far ways from 350. My point still stands.

http://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/cpicalc.pl?cost1=200.00&year1=2001&year2=2014

I have to agree with this.  People throw around the inflation excuse way too much.

The GC launched in 2001, not the early '80's, lol.  The fact is that the WiiU is by far the most expensive console ever from Nintendo and that's due to the Gamepad, not the console tech.

reggin_bolas said:
Squeezol said:
reggin_bolas said:

4. No gimmicks: GC had no gimmicks, it didn't try to force anything new or untested on gamers. It featured a standard wired controller which I found comfortable to use. In contrast, the Wii U is forcing players to use the gamepad which many find repulsing (myself included). The new skylanders stuff that was announced is also turning me away from the console. 

There's the option to use a Wii Mote for a lot of games, but I get the point. Anyway, for me it all comes down to the games (because that's what I use consoles for) so once Nintendo stops developing first party titles for the Wii U I'll be able to decide whether I think the GC or Wii U is better. Also, isn't the Virtual Boy the worst?

I don't think it's fair to include the Virtual Boy in the calculus since it was a failed experiment and not really a mainstream console. The GC is the best comparison. 

Nintendo will say the same about the Wii U.

In fact, a lot of companies say this about their failed products. No company makes a product just for fun. They want it to succeed and for them to make a ton of money but sometimes it doesn't, for whatever reason.

These threads really need to die. But hey.

Around the Network
rakugakist said:
amak11 said:
helghan-imperial said:

plus it has no trophy/achievement system which sucks,c'mon nintendo get with the times! 

Achievement systems... pointless. I have been saying this for years. 

Pointless to you.  That doesn't mean other people don't like them.

Doesn't mean they are required like the poster implied

All the Wii U really had to do was live up to the Wii.

Why'd you have to go and screw everything up, Nintendo? Why do you hate us?!

Figgycal said:

In fact, a lot of companies say this about their failed products. No company makes a product just for fun. They want it to succeed and for them to make a ton of money but sometimes it doesn't, for whatever reason.

And that makes sense. If something isn't selling well then it clearly isn't mainstream and it clearly did not reach the goals set for it. It's not like companies saying "our console wasn't mainstream enough" is just a throw away excuse. It works. The Wii U isn't mainstream. 

And I know I took your post and ran with it. Sorry for that.

NintendoPie said:
Figgycal said:

And that makes sense. If something isn't selling well then it clearly isn't mainstream and it clearly did not reach the goals set for it. It's not like companies saying "our console wasn't mainstream enough" is just a throw away excuse. It works. The Wii U isn't mainstream. 

And I know I took your post and ran with it. Sorry for that.

Well that is true.

1) I agree, graphics are getting more and more important to gamers these days, while some Wii U games look fantastic and are on par with the PS4, most look like average 7th gen games.

2) The PS2 and Xbox were $300 each. The Gamecube was $200. That's a $100 difference. Wii U $50-150 cheaper than the PS4 and Xbone respectively. So the Wii U and Gamecaube prices are pretty much the same in a way.

3) If Wii U had all multiplats+its exclusives its sales would be way bigger.

4) I 100% agree

5) We've already got a great Mario game, an upcoming Zelda game, probably an upcoming Metroid, and much more coming.