By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why the Wii U is the worst Nintendo console of all time (Gamecube comparison)

gergroy said:
foxtail said:
gergroy said:

Yeah, there is a reason the gamecube was 100 bucks cheaper too, it didnt have a dvd drive.  Dvd technology was still pretty expensive back in 2000.  Ps2 is actually one of the major reasons it got pushed into the mainstream and drove prices down.  There were a lot of bells and whistles included in the ps2 and xbox that werent included in the gamecube (ie hard drive, usb ports, dvd, etc.). There is a reason they were able to come in at a hundred bucks cheaper.

The Gamecube does use a proprietary version of DVD technology made by Panasonic for it's disc and drive.  

Also the PS2 didn't include a hard drive, and you needed to buy a dongle for DVD movie playback on the Xbox.

--

The $100 price advatage only lasted six months before Sony cut the price of PS2 to $199 to match the Gamecube (which in turn dropped to $149).

Also to note around 80% of all PS2 sold were priced at $199 or under.

yes, I know the ps2 didn't have a hard drive, I don't think the xbox had usb ports either, but I could be wrong.  That was just features that either one or both of those consoles had that the gamecube didn't.  

Also, while the gamecube did use a proprietary minDVD technology, it was still a lot cheaper.  Not only was it cheaper to manufacture than the standard dvd drives, but it also cut out the dvd forum that would have charged a fee of 20 per unit just to have dvd technology included.  Not to mention the license fees for each disc printed, etc.  That dongle was Microsofts way of trying to recoup some of the cost going to the dvd forum.  The dvd hardware was already included, all the stupid dongle did was unlock it and let you use a remote.  

Original Xbox controller ports were USB 1.0 but MS changed the ends of  the connectors. So back then many people cut the end off and wrapped the wires with a USB cord and plugged it into the PC.

Around the Network
Uabit said:
It's not only worst Nintendo's console but one of worst consoles ever.

Do you own a Wii U? or even tried out a Wii U?

zippy said:
Uabit said:

I sold it

I disagree with the OP and this is coming from someone who loved the GC at the time.

The games that are on both systems, so far the Wii U versions are proving to be the better versions.

Superior Mario game
Superior Donkey Kong game (Donkey Konga was fun.. but meh!)
Superior Pikmin game. Superior Sonic games.

Looking like superior Mario Kart game (It actually looks like the best one ever). Smash Bros game could also be superior.

Zelda Wind Waker at 60fps is lush, but I'm sure the full fledged Wii U Zelda title will also top Twilight Princess.

There is the strong possibility that GCN games will become Virtual Console releases in the next year or two (though I hope Virtual Console becomes it's own universal retro distribution platform that is available across various Nintendo formats)

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

GameCube was my fave Nintendo console, but has easily been surpassed by Wii U. I have found Wii U to be the most convenient console ive ever owned, mainly thanks to the gamepad. I cannot stress enough how much of a godsend off tv play has been to me, something i never had the luxury of when i had a Gamecube. Add virtual console, full backward compatibility with Wii games, hell even one of the cubes best games has now been bettered thanks to the Wii U difference.
Wii U game library is starting to come into its own too, and i fully expect it to be on par at least with Gamecube. Already we have a top tier Mario game, a decent 2D Mario game, Donkey Kong, the best Pikmin game, the best version of Windwaker and great exclusives such as Zombi U, W101, Lego City etc.

Around the Network

gergroy said:

Also, while the gamecube did use a proprietary minDVD technology, it was still a lot cheaper.  Not only was it cheaper to manufacture than the standard dvd drives, but it also cut out the dvd forum that would have charged a fee of 20 per unit just to have dvd technology included.  Not to mention the license fees for each disc printed, etc.  That dongle was Microsofts way of trying to recoup some of the cost going to the dvd forum.  The dvd hardware was already included, all the stupid dongle did was unlock it and let you use a remote.  

From a strictly manufacturing perspective, it probably was a cheaper drive to manufacture simply because it was smaller and top loading (even though it was still using the same underlying DVD tech as the others).  But at the same time you have to factor in that it was using a proprietary Panasonic version of that DVD tech, and I think all their drives were therefore made solely by Panasonic.  By comparison, looking at the original Xbox for example, MS was free to shop around and switched the manufacturer of their DVD drive several times from Phillips, Thomson and Samsung (and a lesser known Hitachi model) finding lower manufacturer prices.  

--

I also agree about the license fee though much of the DVD Forum fee was paid to patent holders of the tech, and Sony being one of the larger patent holders was able to offset the price of the DVD drive that way.

helghan-imperial said:

plus it has no trophy/achievement system which sucks,c'mon nintendo get with the times! 

Achievement systems... pointless. I have been saying this for years. 

I just did the inflation calculation and 200 back then equals 266 today. So that's still far ways from 350. My point still stands.

http://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/cpicalc.pl?cost1=200.00&year1=2001&year2=2014

Uabit said:
zippy said:
Uabit said:

I sold it

It's no way the worst console ever.  I'll actually give that title to the NES.  I can tell that you never owned a Wii U (don't ask how).  I dare not call it the best, but it's not the worst. 

amak11 said:
helghan-imperial said:

plus it has no trophy/achievement system which sucks,c'mon nintendo get with the times! 

Achievement systems... pointless. I have been saying this for years. 

Pointless to you.  That doesn't mean other people don't like them.